Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babywatson

I Inherited some Mother-In-Law's Tongue

babywatson
18 years ago

...actually from my mom-in-law. Two big pots of it. I have never had this as a houseplant and don't know what it likes. Dry soil, wet soil, fertilizing, sun, shade, all that good stuff. It seems pretty indestructible but I'd appreciate whatever advice anyone could give me.

Comments (4)

• logan33
    18 years ago

You're right, they are pretty tough plants. This time of year I give them very little water,maybe once a month or less. I keep them in as much light as possible during the winter while they are inside. When the warmer weather returns, I move them outside and they do well with alot of sun but only after acclimating them to it gradually so as not to burn the leaves that have gotten tender from being inside. During the warmer weather they can take alot more water , maybe once a week or more depending on how much sun they are in. They can also do well with much less light if that is necessary, which is why they are often used as houseplants for lowlight situatons. I find they like more light but can do with less. The only thing they really seem unable to take is too much water during cooler weather. I will leave the fertilizer question for others because I am not real big on them...I may give my plants a little timed release all purpose fertilizer once in the summer but that is about it. Enjoy your new plants. logan

• babywatson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been pretty much ignoring them, watering them only occasionally and they sit in a bright sunroom all day long, so I guess that's what they like. Nothing seems to bother them. Thanks for answering--makes me feel better to know I've inadvertantly done okay by just ignoring them!

• scarygirl
    18 years ago

My question is of the same sort with a little difference. Mine have never been outside, and are currently in a south facing window. Should I keep them there or move them, and does the watering go down to once a month also? Will the dry dirt attract bugs even in the winter? This is my first winter with these plants, please help.

• logan33
    18 years ago

Yes scarygirl, the south facing window should be fine for your plants. And yes they should not be watered too often during the winter. Cooler temps and wet soil can be deadly for them. They do much better during the dormant period with dry soil. I have never had a problem with bugs. Good luck with your plants... I am sure they'll do fine as long as you don't overwater them. :) logan

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz