Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jade_man

I.D. and advice please (Picture)

jade_man
13 years ago

i recently received this plant and need advice on the proper care of it so i do not kill it.

it is presently planted in pure turface in a 4 inch pot, and is about 3 inches tall not counting the roots. i water it when it is pretty dried out. i have it sitting in a south facing window, so there is enough light for my jades there, is that too much light for this plant. all advice is welcome.

Thank You

Doug

{{gwi:704091}}

Comments (7)

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

Looks like Sansevieria trifasciata "Golden Hahnii", a sans of the bird's nest variety. That is, low growing and cup shaped.

Nancy

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you Nanci.

good care instructions seem to be hard to come by on the internet. anyone with personal experience would be awesome. i was worrying about the lower leaves curling inward. when i received it they were not curled. did i not plant it deep enough, is it a water issue?

thanks
    Doug

• Michaela
    13 years ago

I have absolutely no experience in growing Sansevierias in pure turface. But I can suggest to you that it is best to err on the side of dryness in the winter, and they do like lots of indirect light in the winter time. Direct winter sun can be unnecessarily brutal. Keep water off the leaves and crown when you do water. NO DRAFTS! Next spring replant with a porous soil mix. I have been successful using peat and perlite with about a 60-40 ratio here in Tennessee.

You have a beautiful young plant there! but it is weak; the white tissues are being fed by the green tissues. This plant would have a better chance of winter survival if it were still attached to the parent plant to help with food production. If you ever see a brown spot developing, it will spread and you will likely lose the leaf. It likes warmth; some like to use a heating pad for bottom warmth with a plant so young. The turface is going to absorb a lot of water which will make it unavailable to the roots. If you insist on using turface, try to find a clear pot so you can see what's happening to any water you might add. You want HUMIDITY, but not necessarily standing water if that makes sense. We don't know how dry your house is, or what the root system looks like on your plant, but I would be tempted to add 1/4 cup of water now and give it bottom warmth.

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

michaela,
    thank you for the advice, i will see what i can do. i will update in a few weeks.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I may be mistaken, but if turface is anything like pumice, it will not hold water, rather it'll drain right through.

I am currently rooting some Sans in pure pumice, the water runs right though it.

I don't have much success w/ the short, squat Sans., but I'd caution about overwatering & not giving it direct sun.

Sorry, but I must disagree w/ Michaela on using peat for these -- I would not use peat for these AT ALL.

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

I agree with Pirate Girl...no peat. I disagree with Michaela...they don't need humidity. In my experience, bird's nest sans grow best in short pots (nothing deeper than 4 inches), in crowded conditions, and with less water than "regular" sans.

Nancy

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all for your replies, i appreciate it very much. i will keep it out of direct sun in a bright spot and let it dry out between watering. and yes turface does drain well.

Doug