o
Flame futura

Posted by tqpl UK south (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 17:03

Hello group,
I am wondering if somone could advise.

Recently I have bought a plant called 'flame futura'
Sold by German nursery http://www.svend-nielsen.dk

There are pictures of their plants on their website.

It this a simple marketing name or are they the proper names. I am confused as they show 'Golden Futura' and 'Flame Futura'

Flame futura looks like Gold Flame to me!

Any help would be much appreciated.
With regards
Alan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flame futura

Alan,
I think the picture they show of Golden Futura is S. t. 'Futura Simplex', while their Flame Futura could well be Gold Flame.
Mike

o

• Posted by tqpl UK south (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 14:23

Hello Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to help me out and check out the website. I had been thinking along the same lines but wanted someone elses opinion.
I do indeed think that the plants might be Gold Flame.
I wish nurseries would stop inventing their own names!
With regards
Alan

o

Alan,
I will have to say that I didn't think it was a good example of Gold Flame. But yes, you're right, as Sansevieria become more popular, there will me many more new names for the same plant. Some out of ignorance, but most because of marketing schemes.

o

• Posted by tqpl UK south (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 12:08

Hello Michaela,
Many thanks for your ID help, sorry I have been a while getting back to you. Yes I am sure there are all sorts of reasons why plants get given new names when they become commerical. Sometimes it is also to get around plant propagation rights and royalties.
Your input is much appreciated.
Many thanks
Alan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here