Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large-leaved Sanseveria

Posted by ElsieR z6 KY (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 03 at 20:01

Today at the Cincinnati Krohn Conservatory there were some terrific Sansevieria plants with really wide leaves. There were not many leaves on each plant, about 2 feet tall, but they were almost five inches wide! Unfortunately, I did not bring a camera.
It was really attractive and I hope you can identify it.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large-leaved Sanseveria

The Sansevierias with the widest leaves are either S. masoniana or S. grandis. You can tell the difference by feeling the leaves. Grandis should be smooth to the touch whilst S. masoniana is rougher. Both can easily attain 2 feet or more, with S. masoniana tending to grow taller. There are other wide leaved species from Malawi & Zimbabwe, as yet unnamed, which are not so common in cultivation.

o

Thanks Birdsnestsoup, I will look those up.

Elsie

o

hello; just wanna know what are the types of sansi that are large-leaved?

o

Perhaps the widest are masoniana (aka Mason/Congo), grandis, liberica, and dawei.

o

I was going to post a similiar question about the sans I saw in a green house. It was a varigated S. trifasciata -(would that be laurentii) but the leaves seemed much wider than my varigated plant. It was a $4 plant so it was small. It looked like a tall bird"s nest type sans.

o

There are a LOT of variegated trifasciatas. But at $4 I suspect if yours isn't S.t. Lauentii, it might be S. futura. If so that's still a good for a pup. Look for pictures of S. futura to compare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here