Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniecay

Sansevieria pinguicula, does it flower

stephanie_kay
11 years ago

Was just wondering if Sansevieria pinguicula every flowers and if so oh mature does your plant have to be?

Comments (14)

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Hi Stephanie! Yes, pinguicula certainly does flower, but first the plant has to mature. Your picture shows very nicely the juvenile stage even though you may have had it for many years. When pinguicula begins to mature, the leaves will elongate and actually "migrate' into a distichous form where the leaves are arranged somewhat like the outstretched palm of your hand. The small,brownish colored, flowers will be arranged in what is called a panicle. I'll let you Google "panicle" for a definition/picture. Ha! If you ever manage to flower your 'ping' please post pictures because it is a rare event. Thanks for the nice picture!!

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Michaela,
    I don't see my little guy flowering since I live outside of Chicago. Not enough outdoor time. But it would be nice. I have read that they are very slow growing. Which is good for me since I am on limited space. Didn't need to look up "panicle", but did have to look up "distichous", ( :

I have only had my ping for about 3 years, but not for sure how old it was when I got it. I assumed it was still young since I hear that get fairly good size.
    If it ever does flower I will remember to post a photo. ( :

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I have been told and read that all plants flower.
    All of my Sansevieria have flowered when the conditions are right for them to do so, age is very important. Most of my Sansevieria are 15+ years old. Notice my zone below my name. Norma

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Norma, I understand that in nature that they flower. But not all plants flower in captivity. I live outside of Chicago, we do not have a very long growing season. Also some plants bloom more readily then others. My Adeniums have no problems, blooming and setting seed. I was just wondering if my Sans pinguicula flowered as a houseplant or not.
    Does your ping flower every year? I would love to see a photo of it in flower. Also how large is your ping?

Stephanie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"Notice my zone below my name."

Oh yes, oh yes.

The S. trifasciata I have has only flowered twice in the approx. 20 yrs I've had it. But admit it's been terribly neglected and abused. I was recently wondering if all Sans are capable of flowering also. Interesting stuff.

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, you have had your S. trifasciata about 20 years? And only twice bloomed for you, wow. I am glad that you shared this with me. The only other sans I have is a s. trifasciata. But I have only had it a year or so.
    I will not expect blooms on either of my sans, but will be thrilled if one day I happen to walk by them and find them one in bloom.
    Are all Sans this way?

Stephanie

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

You know that the flowers open at night. They like stress to flower. The like to be crowded tinto a pot. Someime if you standsplst them that will jump start the flowering, the fresh new soil excites them. Be sure to fertilize them, and save rain water for them. This will help, they like a slightly Acid soil, perhapa s tsp. to tbs in the water will achieve this results you may need a water meater to test your soil. Norma
    It's time I complimented this group, you don't nit pick, if you doon't likw an idea suggested you still thank you, and do want you want. You don't be little any one for their expressing ofl an idea.You are all reslpectfull of each other, Congratulations. Norma

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Norma, my ping may not be too over crowed as of yet. I put him in his current pot just last year. I will start giving him some acid fertilizer. One thing you said I could not figure out what the word was "standsp1st", stand sp 1st, could you please explain.

Stephanie

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Norma,

I too missed something in your post. What is it pls. you're suggesting we add to acidify the water, either in tsp or TBSP?

Would that be acid type fertilizer, or vinegar (I'm guessing vinegar)? Could you pls. clarify for us?

What a lovely compliment you've given to our Group! Thanks Norma, I suspect you & several others set the example for us.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Norma,
    Thank you, you know we respect each other here. We are all here to help each other out. I remember how much help I was given. Much thanks to all here. And that's not to mention how generous some here to give out nice rare plants to each other.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Norma, thanks for sharing the info!.

Steph, I think that was transplant... I hope that's what inspires them to bloom. Mine were repotted last summer ('12.) One of my biggest hopes for this year is for more Sans blooms. They're that good! (S. trifasciata, just so there's no confusion with the pictured plant.)

My Mom thinks the plant(s) is about 80 years old but I've only had it for 20. I feel bad that it was stuck in dark corners for most of that time! I had no idea this Sans COULD be one of my fastest-growing plants.

• laura1
    11 years ago

My pinguicula is by far the slowest growing sans. I grow! I think I've had it three years and I think I now see it has grown a little recently. Blooming is a long way off for this plant.

However this winter has been a bumper year for my plants to bloom. My regulars bloomed and also several 1st timers. Very exciting!

Living in zone 9 is helpful. I grow all my plants outside.

• lovemysans
    11 years ago

Hi Stephanie! Like Norma said these plants flower apparently when under stress. It's up to you, but I wouldn't try to induce flowering if I were you.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I think I got it.
    standsplst=transplant
    Likely 1 tsp-1tbsp of vinegar to a gallon of water like PG said.

tj

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations