Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1_gw

Can I Divide Now? & ID Needed

val1
10 years ago

I purchased these two last spring at Walmart but my summer was so busy that I did not have a chance to divide and repot them. Can I do it now? Do I just put one in a pot to get the typical birdsnest look (I am assuming these are birdsnest type sans)? The first one has five plants in that little pot. The other has three. I found a Golden Hahnii as well but it only had one pup and I repotted it right away (pup intact). Also, If anyone can identify them I would be thrilled.

Comments (10)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Val,
    Good find. These are very well grown plants. They look healthy and strong. I would not touch them untill warmer weather, like in spring. They will be ok till then.
    As far as ID. Looks like S.t. hahnii 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' and I like the extra yellow stripes, unless it is taller growing, then it may be S.t. futura 'Black Goldedge'. That is if it gets over 12" which it doesn't look like. The other is S.t. hahnii. Same as the picture at the top of our forum. Watch the watering thru the colder months.
    Stush

• val1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush - Thanks for the IDs and the information on repotting. They are both around six inches tall, so I hope it is hahnii 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. I was hoping to repot them since I have to mix up some soil for my new Thanksgiving Cactus anyway. I water the sans only when they feel dry. The pots are very small (they are plastic pots inside the decorative cup) and so full of roots they do not retain the water. The soil that is there is a very heavy peat mix, so I am very careful.

I repotted my Golden hahnii in a 5:1:1 mix and it does very well. I also have a what I believe is a 'Bantel's Sensation' in that mix which is doing well. I rescued it from Lowes last year for only one dollar. It had been in rocks and water and had some root rot when I got it.

10 years ago

Val,
    Sounds like your doing very good. Gold Hahnii is very hard for me to keep. It seems to never pup and then dies in a few years from base rot. I am keeping it warmer and a little dryer this time. If it pups I will post on it. This is the first year my Bantel Sensation is growing and puping. Some bloomed and are producing pups. I never had that years befor.
    Stush

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

My Bantel's is pupping now. I can't believe how the root system has filled the pot I put it in earlier this year!

I bought a Gold Hahnii in the spring that was really in trouble. Way overwatered almost to the point of no return. I bought it, brought it home and repotted it in gritty mix. So far it's been limping along. It was outside this summer. A couple of leaves rotted and I got a little crown rot on the pup. I'm keeping it dry and warm this winter in a west-facing window. I do wish I had bought a healthier specimen to start with though. Live and learn.

• val1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just bought my Golden Hahnii last spring and it was a healthy plant with the pup just poking through. Walmart had just got them in and they had not had the chance to overwater it. The pup has grown and is so beautiful. I hope it continues to do well. I have yet to keep it during the winter.

My Bantel's Sensation was in terrible shape when I purchased it; in water, tied together with rubber bands, roots rotting. When I pulled it out of the pebbles, the stench was awful. I thought the three pieces might die but I had wanted it so much I figured it was worth a try. I did what I had heard about iris with rot; dipped the roots in a weak solution of bleach, rinsed them well, dipped them in rooting hormone and potted them up. They had so few roots, I had to stake them to get them to stand straight in the pot. I had to move two of the three into a starter mix before they would form any roots. They are now all three in the 5:1:1 mix and I hope they are doing well. I have them in a south window for the winter. I hope I can keep them alive.

I thought sans were easy to care for and that is why I bought them.

10 years ago

Val,
    Sans are easy to care for. You purchased the most difficult one. Some don't have a problem some like me do. Sound like you did all right.
    LauraRobichaud,
    If mine survive and yours don't, I'll send you one come spring.
    Thanks to the kind folks here who sent me mine.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

When unleashed in the ground, Sans babies don't come up smushed against the mama plant, but inches away. In tiny pots, the rhizomes get mushed, turned the wrong way, or just might not have room to even try to make a pup. In a pot, you'll find babies going in all directions. They don't do that in the ground where they have space to go where they want. I've not had any troubles with any Sans making babies if they have space to do so. It's also sooo easy to knock Sans over in small pots.

The undeserved reputation of being OK with little to no light is a shame. They can sit and wait, but can't grow much or quickly that way. Sans like hot, dry, some sun. Moist, cold, dark = recipe for leaning, rotting, death. Next year I will put some in the shade in the ground also to make that comparison. I predict they will b fine, but those in the sun will outgrow them by a long shot.

They are easy except for those who really can't NOT water a plant until it's genuinely dry, or have no windows (or some type of artificial light.) I would repot them now, as long as you don't have to go out in the cold to do it. Don't water right away if the new 'soil' is already moist at all when you do it. Allow soil to warm to room temp if it was outside.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Stush, maybe I can trade you a Silver Queen pup in the spring if you'd like. Very generous to offer a GH.

10 years ago

Laura,
    Got a Silver Queen. Thanks. Just postage is fine. That is if I am lucky this year which I think I will be.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Well maybe I'll happen across something you don't have. My Eve hasn't pupped (or even grown, really) and my kirkii coppertone is too small. You probably have those anyway.... :P