Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paxfleur

Sansevieria Identification -- Help please?

paxfleur
15 years ago

Hello everyone -- I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to ask for your help in identifying four Sansevierias that I have. Any help would be immensely appreciated. =)

First -- this one seems very common -- anyone have any ideas?

Second -- Fairly common as well? Light gray-white tones on leaves....Help?

Third -- a miniature? Fairly common as well? Any ideas?

Last is a brilliant sans with beautiful yellow stripings on the leaves. Can anyone please ID this beauty?

Thanks in advance for all your help! =)

Comments (10)

• Michaela
    15 years ago

Paxfleur,
    I will give you my opinion:

First three are futura simplex
    next 2 are trifasciata (common)
    next 2 are Hahnii (common)
    next 3 are trifasciata 'compacta' - fairly common, but well grown and look beautiful!

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

The 'Compacta' may be actually 'Lillian True' named by Hermine Stover, and found in Lillian's greenhouse by her. I am saying this because of the very dark green/black base color.
    The trifasciata 'Goldiana' maybe, it is shorter and the leaf does twist.
    I am not good at names and certainly not the last word. If I can get Hermine Stover to respond on this forum I will. I will ask. Norma

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Hi Norma,

I thought Lillian True was one of the green & white variegates, like Bantel's Sensation (rather than green & yellow). I'm interested in this as I love green & white variegates, but I don't care for the green & yellow. Also, from what I've read Lillian True is regarded as one of the more stable variegates, less likely to revert; so they say anyway.

• woodnative
    15 years ago

'Lilian True' aka "Slipped Stripes" is a yellow variegate, much like the "Compacta' pictured but with random, extra yellow stripes. The striping pattern/arrangement is different on the front and back of the leaves. Some leaves may have a lot of yellow, others just an extra stripe or two. Pirate Girl, even though a yellow variegate, it is a real beauty!!

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

My 'Lillian True' has a very dark green center green and outer bands of pale yellow, my 'Goldinana' same colors but shorter, and 'Black Gold' from Armstrong's Nursery here in Calif. shorter than 'Black Gold', 'Twisted Sister' mine does not twist well at all, she is almost the same but lighter, and the leaves are supposed to twist.
    'Bantels Sensation' comes in three different varieties, I have only two. White and Gold with green stripes, there is also one called 'white back' which I also may have they all have very narrow leaves compared to 'Lillian True' You must be made aware that many forms, or varieties are very similar, (species look the same and takes years to see the difference), the plants must be full grown. I have 300 named species and varieties, and often I can't even find the named one that I'm looking for abd can't see the difference. Right now there is one in full flower tonight, and I can't even go into the greenhouse, I don't know which one is putting up the stink.
    I also realize now even the small young ones flower, it's not even full grown and in a tiny pot, I don't know why this has happened? Any input? It is welcome. The heater is on tonight it is very cold, so must take an allery pill, can't tolerate the cold. Norma

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Karen I went through a long explanation for you especially.
    Hermine Stover gave me my plant, and she named it, it is a published name. The plant came from Lillian True directly, I have that plant,
    'Twisted Sister' looks exactly like it, shorter except the leaves twist.
    'Goldiana'according to Hermine's book also has some twisted leaves especially young ones, just like it but shorter,

'Compacta' short stout upright leaves. Same Coloring.
    'Black Sword' from the Armstrong Nursery here in Cal. Very short but I doubt if the name is corredt. Now I hope I have made myself clear. Review the Juan's 1st book The Sansevieria Trifasciata Varieties. That will explain it much better than I can, and if any of you can explain this to Karen I would appreciate it. Karen how did you give a program on the Subject? Norma

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Thank you Norma, but I'm not quite sure why you're trying to give me such specialized attention. Tho' I appreciate it, I rarely come here anymore because it is usually relatively inactive.

Why are you asking me this: "Karen how did you give a program on the Subject"? You know very well how I gave the program as you helped me prepare, which I have mentioned here & for which I've thanked you a number of times.

I don't know what you're asking or why, so I won't be answering.

• yong_ching
    15 years ago

1st - S. SUPERBA MARGINATED
    2ND - S. TRIFASCIATA
    3RD - S. TRIFASCIATA HAHNII GREEN
    LAST- S. TRIFASCIATA VAR COSTARICA

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Karen I give you special attention because I know you and love you. I know you try hard.

'Bantels Sensation' does not look like any of the above pictures. I think the Lillian True it the 8th plant.
    It does not go by the name of
    Slipped Stripes'. Stop. A lady Ruth Crane from Texas sent it to Glasshouse works under that name, Hermine has been on the war path ever since. It is a sport, and Hermine spotted the plant in Lillian's collection and Hermine named the plant on the spot and published it in her book published in 1983, But by the IOS laws of nominclature, any one can rename a hybrid. I don't know about a sport however, I will need to ask. I don't know why others are so anxious to take away credits from others.
    That is why there is so much confusion with names. They should be registered.
    I am having eye surgery, the old lady kind on Monday hope it improves my typing skills, and proof reading. I forgot to tell you my S. fisherii (singularis) is in flower, the first time in 17 years, I'm so proud of this. Norma

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Found this late, but good luck w/ your surgery Norma, may it go swimmingly for you.