Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blfresh

Best Sans for beginners

blfresh
13 years ago

Hi all. I appreciate all the great information on this board! I'm new to 'sans' and have a couple of Trifasciata - "Moonshine" and "Silver Queen." Which 'sans' make good beginner plants? I really don't want to get in over my head. I'm considered to have a "green thumb" lol. Thanks for the advice!

Comments (7)

• woodnative
    13 years ago

It sounds like you have a couple great beginner plants already!! You will probably do fine with most of them, especially if you are already familiar with these Sans and growing plants in general. Most of the regular and more common trifasciata cultivars are pretty easy. The smaller S. trifasciata 'hahni' ("birdsnests") types can be more difficult for some than the upright types. In general, the more heavily variegated plants are more difficult than the "normal" greener plants. Those plants with unstable type variegation are even tricker, as they produce all green shoots that need to be cut away as well as new shoots that are too white or yellow....it is a balance. If you start looking at other species, you may want to try some such as S. masoniana (which grows BIG but is otherwise easy). I personally love S. kirkii pulchra 'Coppertone'......it has copper clolored leaves and is a real beauty. S. cylindrica is pretty commonly available and very different looking from S. trifasciata. You may find it in the local greenhouse or even supermarket on occasion. Enjoy!

• blfresh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks wood for the recommendations. I'll keep my eyes open for them. I like the variety of your suggestions both size and color.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

In Holland the easy ones are being named 'Students' dba beginners plants. Any of them are easy, Sansevieria: 'Ed Eby', Cylincrical v cylindrical, not all masoniana are tall,
    kirkii v. kirkii cn get very large if in a large container. Fisherii, Franciscii small any of the "Bats" etc. The thicker the leaves the easier the care. Stay away from any of them that are variegated white of cream which takes a lot of experience and mistakes to learn how to grow. No bugs, no fuss, little water in the Winter so take your vacation leave the plants at home. Norma
    Norma

• blfresh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Norma for the specifics! I appreciate the suggestions.

• Michaela
    13 years ago

I see you live in Minnesota 'blfresh'. I would suggest the easiest ones to start with are the varieties you can find in your local big box stores. These are likely to be the trifasciatas.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

With enough heat and light you can grow any of them any time of the year. I have certain species I just can't grow no matter what I try. I have been doing this for the past thirty years. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

The cheapest ones, or the ones given to you. Don't invest until you learn the basics regarding this species. Stay away from the S. Hahnii group, most people don't know how to grow this one, and if you are a beginner, I would wait until you get some experience. Norma

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County