Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thekatocat_gw

San Cylindrica in Self watering Planter

thekatocat
11 years ago

We are new to horticuture and just picked up these gorgeous Cylindricas at a garage sale. We got ahead of ourselves purchased these self watering planters only to find out that they need very little water and have shallow roots. Has anybody had success planting these using the self watering planters. Will the roots reach? she we just forego the self watering function?

Comments (9)

• woodnative
    11 years ago

That is a nice cylindrica!!! Generally the Sans want a soil mix that drains freely, so I don't know that the self-watering will work as I assume this relies on a wick(?) of some sort. Also, it probably will not be growing much in the winter unless you have it in a very warm and brighgly lit area, so the roots will probalby not expand much into the new soil media. For that reason it may be better to wait until Spring to repot it. You could place the one pot inside the other for the time being (just a thought).

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

What a great find for a garage sale!

In Juan's book, he shows eilensis in a hydroponic system. It's was doing beautifully. I suppose it's the amount of water you keep in the reservoir and the type medium used that matters. I would stay away from anything too organic.

I would at least wait until the flower spike is finished... that IS a flower spike, isn't it? Fantastic!

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant! Nothing wrong with unbridled enthusiasm, as long as you're going in the right direction. I know nothing about SWP's, so have no advice. Good luck!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I agree with all the above. Nice find. Make sure you do have a fast draining mix. Should have around for a very long time.
    Stush

11 years ago

I agree with all the above. Nice find. Make sure you do have a fast draining mix. Should have around for a very long time.
    Stush

11 years ago

Sorry, program not responding. I hit 4 times and nothing till I closed down and saw it post 4 times.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Wonderfully shaped plant, what a great find!! Is that actually a flower spike (I wondered that too) or another leaf blade w/ rather dark mottling? Hard to tell from this pic, perhaps you could share a pic w/ close up of the spike?

Super-handsome, congratulations to you!!

• thekatocat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input so far. Been scouring the forum so far, can I take general advice about other sansevieras and apply them to the cylindricas?

Also I picked up a smaller cylindrica, the seller said it was a rare variety (rams's horn?) can some one confirm?

We are also contemplating putting this in a planter. Can I split the two growths pictured and replant them more linearly? Is it too much or too soon, is their "spring" now since its originally from Africa?

• noki
    11 years ago

They adjust to the Northern Hemisphere, so it is not spring for them.

Not sure it is rare. Rare as far as mass market, something you would rarely ever find at Home Depot.

You can split them up, but you may set them back as far as growing. They will still grow however they want, it may be normal for older growths to end up less vertical, making way for new leave spikes.