Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highheartbeats

Is this a hahnii??

highheartbeats
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

I need an ID for this plant. It looks similar to other hahniis I've seen but it's taller and the leaves look a lot narrower.

Does it maybe need more sun? I'm thinking it looks taller because it's reaching for light? Is it just going to make more leaves and keep getting taller and taller? I got this from my mom and she doesn't remember it ever making pups.

Comments (5)

• highheartbeats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this sun damage? My mom had this in a very sunny west facing window, and all the bottom leaves look very faded. They feel rough and aren't shiny/waxy looking. You can see the line where the leaf was partly covered by the leaf above it. I currently have it in an east facing window (apartment), which is why I think it might be reaching for sunlight...

The plant is wobbly in its pot, the root is small and pointed. Should I maybe remove the damaged leaves and re-pot it? If so, how should I do it? Cut them off, or just peel/pull them off?

Any help/insight would be appreciated, thanks :)

• lme5573
    9 years ago

I have a hahnii that looks like the same plant. I almost lost it to overwatering, but managed to save it with help from the forum.
    This was my only snake plant for years, and I didn't realize how different it was from other hahnii. Now I have a Jade dwarf and Jade dwarf marginata and I can see there's a lot of differences between those plants.
    My problem was I overwatered, so I repotted in dry soil and stopped watering, and gave it lots of natural light. I now water twice a month during the summer, and I'm going to hold off a bit more this winter as it won't get as much sun.
    Mine has been successful making pups - one pot has 3 new pups. The other pot that started with 2 unrooted plants has rooted and added 2 pups.
    I did not remove any of the faded, flabby leaves, but I was considering that earlier this week. I'd be interested to hear other's opinions.
    Hope this helps!
    Lennie

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hahnii Recovers

• lme5573
    9 years ago

I found my original post, and you can see more pix and read the suggestions that helped me repot and save my plant. :-)

I don't know why yours doesn't pup, mine will pup like crazy when it gets enough light and warmth.

It's still dark here, but once the sun comes up I can take some current pictures if you're interested.

Lennie

Here is a link that might be useful: Too Much Water, What can I do?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

It is winter now. I would leave alone and put it in brighter light. Repot come spring and you can leave it out side for the summer. Keep in the bright shade for maybe a month then 1/2 day sun and 1/2 day bright shade. If given direct summer sun, it will make the leaves turn brown. I have had some that refused to pup for me. Some phosphate ground stone should do the trick. Just sprinkle a few spoonfuls on top of the pot.
    Plant is not that bad off. I have seen worse.
    Stush

• highheartbeats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lennie! Thanks for the responses and the links to your posts. You have a beautiful plant, it's amazing you were able to save it. It looks just like mine! Mine also has a long history, my mom originally got it from my grandmother who died 14 years ago, so it's been kicking around the family for a long time.

Stush, I sadly can't give it much more light. I live in an apartment and only have east facing windows. I shuffled some plants around to give it a space closer to the window, hope that helps. Thanks for the suggestions :)