Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken62686

data on sansevieria flowers

ken62686
18 years ago

i am interested to know some characteristics of sansevieria trifasciata (snake plant). however, it seems i can't find the data on the internet. maybe YOU could help me out.

Flowering time

Flowering duration

pollen shedding

stigmatic receptivity

i'd really appreciate if YOU ould help me out. thanks.

Comments (17)

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

I certainly don't have any of this info. (nor have my Sans. ever bloomed for me). I suspect other folks don't either, or they would have posted so by now.

As to stigmatic receptivity? I can guess what you mean by that, but can I ask pls. what's your purpose in these questions; are you trying to propagate for commercial reasons?

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I didn't notice polllen shedding, for me they flower in the winter months because it is summer in Africa. This would be their normal time to flower, flowering duration is short for most species, however, I never have recorded how long each are in flowwer and it may depend on the species. I have one growing in deep shade, the flowers haven't opened for the past two months, it also may depend on the species when exactly they each flower, I never have more than 5 species in flower at any one time. They drop their flowers and that is messy, clean them up with a florist long tweezer. Some have short flower tubes, some even have slight color, most are white. They have a heavenly sweet perfume at night.
    Some are miniatures, some grow in coral soil, close to the beach, others next to streams or on the outskirts of jungles. Others out in the open with little protection from the sun, but under a tree perhaps next to a bush on the north side. Some look like grass, and they can tolerate all kinds of care, except too much water when cold. They are almost free of any diseases, or insect problems. They make a perfect houseplant, as you can go on vacations and they don't really care. When watering water very thoroughly so it reaches the root ball. They must have very porus soil, that doesn't stay wet. Some grow with stolens above the ground and others only from below the soil line, other send out stolen that walk out of the pot, through the holes even the wire hole, or break the pot to get out, so don't put them in good China glazed containers. Now may I ask you a question please? What is stigmatic receptivity? Thank you, Norma

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Having had Sanseveria as houseplants for many years , and in differant light situations , I have found they bloom very rarely . I believe it has always been in the winter .
    I don't remember the blooms lasting very long ...maybe a week . They do have quite a bit of pollen , but no shedding problem .

The blooms are very fragrant .

Marian

• Betz11
    18 years ago

I have a flower spike on one of cylintrcal's right now. It has been there for over a month and has not opened out yet.

Just thought I'd let you know that mine always bloom in the winter time.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Interesting,

Ken the Poster, never came back to respond. I see his registration date is the same as that of his question. Sort of sounds like some kind of homework to me.

Dear Norma,

I too wondered abt 'stigmatic receptivity' I suspect it's when they're receptive to being pollinated, but that's why I asked also.

What pls. is 'coral soil', would that be beach soil made up of decomposed, dried out coral bits?

Am curious, 'cause didn't know these plants grow near beaches & I'm still scheduled to give my Sans. talk at the end of this month (it had been postponed due to the NYC subway strike).

With your answer to this question on coral soil (& your permission) I'd like to use those 3 sentences about diffrent growth habitats in my talk. Those would be:

"Some are miniatures, some grow in coral soil, close to the beach, others next to streams or on the outskirts of jungles. Others out in the open with little protection from the sun, but under a tree perhaps next to a bush on the north side. Some look like grass, and they can tolerate all kinds of care, except too much water when cold."

It's an excellent description & would be useful to me if you'd allow me to. Hoping so & thanks in advance.

Pirate Karen

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Karen I was trying to show the diversity of the plants in what they grow in. Coral soil is made of mostly decomposed or ground up soil, that the sea tossed up from the ocean. Karen, give me a little time, I'm going out to dinner, and when I get back I will look up the species that grows in coral.
    YOu may quote me on anything you want. Just check and make sure I'm accurate. I think I'm accurate on my remarks.
    I just here for the education purpose of passing on information that I have learned. I am also hopping to pick up information from all of you.
    I don't care if you disagree with me, that is what forums are all about,discussion, but it can be done in a nice way. I also notice that seldom a ,think you, is given on all forums. You may ask me questions if I can ask you questions. I notice that pieces start much better duing the warm months in very shallow containers, they like to be crowded. They can be started in pure pumice or perlite with a little coarse sand added. I also notice the lower part of the leaf is easier to start. The leaf sheath seems to work best for me. If you all notice I try to give out as much information at one time, responding to several questions at the same time. S.parva is grass like, and there are several forms of this species. S. dooneri looks very much like it.
    Karen back to you, just tell your students some species may have 4 different forms, so make look different. So when people say mine doesn't look like that, it could be because of growing conditions or just another form from a different locality.
    Karen I thank you for asking permission to use my remarks, and if I can be of help to you in any way, just give me a jingle.

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Karen,
    S. arborescens grows in jungles, or desert. Okay here is one example, S. perrotii I quote from the N.E Brown Book/

German East Africa. Among bushes, on coral-rock formation, near Lindi. I'll see if I can find another example. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Actually the coral rock may be from continental plates moving upwards.
    I now have S. conspicua in flower, I can't even go into my greenhouse, the perfume is just too strong.
    I have another 8 in flower at this time, they flower all winter long taking turns. I may be able to find a few pictures of different species in flower, I'll take a look. I have some but don't know how to get them on here. They have also been growing new offsets all winter as well, I think I will have more activity as it gets warmer, our temps, in early morning is 42F and the humidity at 7% or lower. I just flood the greenhouse floor to keep the humidity up a little. I am trying to start a few offsets in the house, so I will have something to trade, or start out another beginner. There is still a few I would give my eye teeth for and they are species. I don't like the hybrids they are far to unstable for me to spend money on. I just purchased S. eilensis, light green it's a tiny plant and the leaves are shaped much like a young S.patens. I hope I'll be able to grow this one I have been told that it is very difficult, and I can't find growing instructions. Report back on your program please. Norma
    Hugs, Karen from Norma

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hiya Norma,

Thanks for your efforts, interesting stuff.

I liked that paragraph you wrote exactly 'cause it spoke so well about diversity of habitat in which Sans can be found. Thanks for allowing its use, I hope to incorporating it into my talk (w/ credit of course).

I can't check you for accurancy, wouldn't begin to know where to look & have no access to the reference materials it sounds like you do. I know you well enough to know you when you try & share info. on GW, you give it your very best, that's certainly good enough for me!

The talk I'm planning on giving will be much more general in nature & scope, esp. 'cause I'll be speaking to Indoor Gardening group (much more 'Houseplanty' type growers). I imagine they're NYC apmt dwellers for the most part, maybe have the ocassional summer home, certainly no greenhouses. Specifically, they're not succulent types (tho' I know number of members who also belong to the local C&S Society).

I'll be bring in 1/2 dozen or so, as will other members, my main goal is to showcase lots of diff. Sans to folks who may only be familiar with the ubiquitous S. trifasciata laurentii (w/ its yellow stripe, that I particlarly dislike).

I'll be taking:

S. pinguicula (beauty that Jeff brought me 2 yrs. ago) w/ its rosette on a stolon

S. Hi Silver (name uncertain, but given me by a very knowledgeable member collector, sadly now passed away); lovely rosette of long, graceful, slender, arching leaves

S. cylindrica (deliberately small & young) showing they can be contained in a small space

S. moonshine, small young, not spectacular, but shows its pretty, pale color

S. patens (undergoing strange changes after 5-6 yrs. of doing nothing, threw a pup a month ago, growing like crazy, yet the parent plant fan is loosing a couple of leaves, just had to twist off an ailing portion of it tonight). I turned it out last wknd to check the roots, maybe lost some, but the pup is going gangbusters & looks entirely diff. than parent. The pup came up a paddle-shaped leaf as flat as a sheet of paper. Wonderful example of the juvenile growth having a diff. form that the parent

Couple w/ guessed IDs:

S. concinna (one of my favorite forms)

S. socotra (those exposed rhizomes w/ long petioles ending in smallish spoon shaped leaves)

S. hallii (small baseball bat)

couple no IDs w/ thick, long cylindrical leaves w/ ridges that curve backwards

a no ID short rosette, solid green leaves, wavy ruffled edges, rust edges, very pretty.

Friends expect to be bringing (a few at least that I know of):

S. bantel's sensation, a mature (one of my all time faves, would love to find some)

S. unknown (from Kew, I hear it's very dark, almost black)

whatever else other members bring to show &/or ask about.

That's it for now, thanks again Norma.

Hugs back attcha,

Karen

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Karen I'm waiting on that report.
    I noticed that Ken didn't thank you gals for helping him out. I don't think he should ask again.
    I think the pollen is minute, and when it dries out, turns to fine dust, I think that is the reason we don't notice it and where it goes.
    I have two seeds here waiting to be mailed to Hermine. I can send you a leaf of Patens if you remind me in the summer, what other one would you want? Don't forget the report on your program, Thanks pal,
    Norma

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Here's an interesting tidbit about the flowers. I have a S. cylindrica that sent up an impressive flower spike shortly after I brought it home. I was keeping it outside at the time.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to the inflorescence on a regular basis, until one morning I was examining it and saw that there was one ant securely fastened on each and every floret. It looked like an ant-sicle. And each of those ants had a belly absolutely swollen with nectar! I mean completely swollen! The waiting line (of ants) was orderly, by the way.

Sans are among the plants that have extrafloral nectaries, making it possible for ants to take plenty advantage of this super carb source! Cool, huh?

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

That is cool Rhizo, was this antsicle indoors (I hope not)? Cool indeed!

Norma, any thoughts on my assortment, any glaring omissions in the assortment?

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I have never had an ant on my Sans. in fact none in any green house, or outside on any plants. On the ground they take walks around the bricks, and foundation of the house.

Rhizo, get rid of the ants, they will just bring you problems.

Karen I think you made an interesting selection of plants to show and talk about. You don't need slides. You will do a great program. Norma

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

This was several years ago, and the plant was outside at the time. Visitation by the ants did no harm whatsoever, and they lost interest once the bloom cycle was over.

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I think if you can get a copy or see a copy of the Splelndid Sansevieria by B. Juan Chahinian you may find some data on Sansevieria flowers. Check the library of your college and see if they have this book. Check out page 154 it addresses some of the questions that you needed. Norma

• Michelle Righetti
    3 years ago

My Sansevieria is blooming now- April in Canada it grew 3 pups over the Winter (2 still in the container, one transplanted to its own pot) and is in bloom now So far a few blooms have fallen off, more remain and are still budding 2.5 weeks into bloom

cycle. It’s the first time she has bloomed for me!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    2 years ago

Michelle,

Very old post. Most are no longer here.

Sadly many of my Sans are blooming right now while they are locked away in the cellar for the winter. Just about ready to start to bring them out. We just had frost warnings a few days ago.

The node or growing clump that produced the flower stock will finish it's life cycle and begin to die. It will trigger the plant to produce many pups at the base from the roots.

I leave my pups attached for at least a year before removing them. The shock is great and could trigger the pup to go into a dwarf stage never achieving it's full growth potential.