Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamasine_gw

I Just Got Three Sans From My Aunt?

tamasine
15 years ago

I need advice on how to take care of them.I have read some of the posts in this forum,and i think two of them are S."Hanhii".the other is the more common one you'd see at walmart or lowes.

Comments (6)

• Betz11
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your new additions. You are going to love them. In my opinion, sans are the ideal houseplant. They more or less take care of themselves. The only way that I know to kill them is by freezing or overwatering. Remember they are succulants, therefore they need very little water.

I put a little bit of house plant food in the water about once a month. That is about all there is to it.

Good luck.

Betty

• tamasine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i've heard that they grow large.Is there any way to keep them compact?

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Yep keep them in a small pot, they may try to climb out however, if they do that, then remove the whole clump separate and choose the three by the youngest three heads to put back in.
    Plastic pots will not hold them, a heavy clay pot maybe longer, some species like to be crowded, others will raise them selves out of the pot, some will send runners over the sides and should be hung up to admire, some will crawl out of the bottom holes in a plastic pot or can be put in a moss lined basket hanging pot. So you will need to make some choices. Norma

• tamasine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,thanks

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Tamasine,

Don't be scared, you can keep 'em small. They don't all get big & they certainly don't do it fast, so you should be OK.

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Did I forget to tell her how to keep them small. Keep them in small pots, not larger than 1 gal in size. You can do this once a year if need be. When you water in the spring, when the temps do not go below 55 early morning hours, water thoroughly, then you are able to do it only once a month, if you want it to grow fast them once a week followed up by a liquid fertilier. I water once a week, mine do not grow large, been in pots for 15 years, so don't worry just enjoy them.
    San. just don't get pests, so not to worry. Norma