Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

It could happen with your Sans !

stephania
15 years ago

Because it's greeting time, so I will not post a sad topic (^_^)

Lucky me...months ago I made some Sans. pinguicula's leaves cutting.

It took about 2 months, the first pup appeared, but I didn't realize it's a sport.

Until I noticed some pale stripes on its tiny leaf.

Two weeks ago.

Last week.

Up to date, today morning.

I do hope my little cute Sans. will be like this someday (^_*)

This striking variegated Sans. pinguicula belong to my friend's Unyamanee Garden.

Comments (23)

• woodnative
    15 years ago

Wow Stepania! That is awesome!
    I would think that would be a one in a million find, even better because the variegation is so nicely distributed throughout the plant. Did the parent plant have any variegation at all???

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks (^_*)"

Actually, it seem to be a Chrismas gift for me, from my beloved plants!
    The parent plant is an ordinary one, just quite old, 10-12 years of age.
    I got 12 of her leaves from the base to propagate.

I think the chance to get variegated Sans. is not quite so hard,
    The possibility could be 1 in 1,000 to 10,000 if you use older leaves.

These 2 are my friends's variegated Sans. pinguicula that they got from normal plant.

Mr Num 888's which has a nice striated variegation.

Mr Ed's which has less mediated variegation.

While this one, Mr Tah's almost yellow variegated plant
    which was propagated from a variegated mother plant.

In fact, I got a variegated pup from an unknown Sans. that I was given
    from my good friend, Mr Haresh in India.
    Because it does look like Sans. pinguicula, so I call it a nick name "Black Pingui"

The mother plant of my "Black Pingui"

A variegated pup from leaf cutting.

So...let try to make a variegated Sans. from your plant, may be you are "Lucky"

@(^_^)@

• elsier
    15 years ago

Nice plants, Stephania. You are lucky to have such a large group of plant-loving friends with whom you can trade plants and information.
    Are you saying that the chances of variegation of pups is greater if the leaf from which they are propagated is an older one?

Elsie

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes Elsie, I think so, because I have propagated many of leaves
    which came from younger plant, none of them made me surprise.
    And all of my friend's variegated pups were produced from very old plant,
    sometimes have damaged scars or be neglected for a long time.

• kniphofia
    15 years ago

Oh these are absolutely wonderful! I've never been able to keep a ping alive - one of the difficult sans for me.
    I had to leave my collection behind when I moved back to the UK from Maine but I'm building it up again now.

Thanks for sharing these!

• reiver
    15 years ago

Just wonderful! Could not of happened to a nicer guy.

I had a nice size ping but a friend was so fascinated by it I gave it to her. But so many plants have been given to me too.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Mike

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

I am very impressed. I hope that happens to me. I am certainly going to try now to do it. What are those round balls on top of youur soil. Thanks for all of this information, Norma

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas Norma (^_^)"

Hope you have warmest thoughts and best wishes for a wonderful Holiday
    and a very Happy New Year.

Those round balls on top are a kind of hydroculture media, "Hydrotron Balls"

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I only check in here every once in awhile, but I'm happy I did today. I really like that pup. I have a thing for variegated plants and yours is a beauty. Mr. Tah's almost yellow one is very eye catching also. Can you propagate leaves from those pups in a few years and produce more identical to them or are they just random chance offspring?

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Maryl, if we use a variegated leaves it would give us more chance,
    but most of them will be normal or albino pups, only few will be a good variegation.

You know, as a Buddhist reason, I guess I've always donated to the poors
    or foundations, so I got some kind of reward (^_*) LOL

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that variegated leaves on Sans do not necessarily produce variegated offspring.....While not a Buddist I'm reminded of the saying: "GIVE a man a fish and he eats for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he eats for a life time. Someone has taught you how to "fish" because you produce some very lovely Sans and are not just happy to have only one kind.

• isusandi
    15 years ago

Stephania,

You're the one of the luckiest people in the world...

Indra

• jerusalemcherry
    15 years ago

Great pics Stephania, you have supplied all of us with the best pictures of Sansevieria on the internet. Thanks again and keep them comin :)

• tootswisc
    15 years ago

Did it really only take 2 months for your pups to appear. It took almost a year for me to get something to sprout from a leaf. Oh how I suffer in Wisconsin

• kioni
    15 years ago

Stephania, what is the composition of the soil that you've started your cuttings in (your first picture), and is that what you usually grow your sans' in?

Thanks.

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Toots & Kioni (^_^)"

I think because I live in tropical zone where Sans. do its best and grow really fast.
    The average temperature this time is about 80 F. and over in summer months.

My soil mix for leaves cutting : 2 parts of peat moss, 2 parts of perlite,
    1 part of pumice and 1 part of sand with coconut peat. This mix is a bit acidic.
    But I grow most of my bigger Sans. in more organic soil.
    Some growers here prefer to add coconut husk in their mix too.

My propagation corner was taken in June, 2008.

Some varieties of Sans. leaves: unknown EXOTICA's , S.kirkii 'Silver Blue'.

Up to date.

Sans. kirkii 'Silver Blue'

Leaves cuttings of EXOTICA's Sans. sp. No. 21833 from West Mafinga, Tanzania
    that I gave a nick name 'Dragon Wing'

Up to date last month.

My 'Dragon Wing' before leaf cut, which I sold mother plant to an avid collector.

• twinkle2002
    15 years ago

Congratulation, Stephania! :)
    I think these special gifts come to you because you always share good things & pictures to others. Thanks for sharing :)

• kioni
    15 years ago

Thanks Stephania, for being so generous with the photographs. Google can't compete!

I am going to try this with my ordinary sans hahnii this spring, I have nothing to lose since the pot needs to be redone. I can't believe you could take 12 leaves off the one plant, is the photo of the Mother Black Pingui what was left? What is the minimum # of leaves I should leave on my hahnii when I do this?

Thanks,

kioni

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you guys (^_^)"

Up to date my Ping.

Kioni, we have talked about two plants, 'Pingui' and the unknown that I call 'Black Pingui'
    My mother plant which I got 12 leaves off and produced a nice variegated pup
    was left here...

While the mother plant of 'Black Pingui' had rotten away before I saved
    all her leaves for propagating.
    Actually, this unknown will turn to be a nice fan-shaped plant.

It does look like an ordinary San. pinguicula when young.

But will form a nice fan shaped when grow bigger.

• kioni
    15 years ago

Thank you for clarifying things for me. I think I read your post too fast, I couldn't take my eyes off the pictures and didn't pay enough attention to what I was reading!

Wow, the black pingui sure takes on a much different form when it matures than when it's a baby! Those little ones are so cute, and your photos are great. This will help me should I ever come across one in the store (as if!), I will know what I'm looking at and can buy it straight away! That is what happened with the sans golden hahnii I have right now. I'd seen and read about it on this forum, and noticed others saying they were hard to attain, so when I spotted this one (of the 2 the store had, and the other already had rot), I did not wait, it went into my cart - and now it is as happy as can be.

kioni

• plantsplus_qld
    15 years ago

Stephania Hello, I am fascinated. The variegated plant seems to come from the only leaf that is upside down. Is it possible that this was the first one you planted and you had just been handling another variegated plant? I have read that variegation is caused by a virus sometimes and I guess that it could be passed between leaf bases. I have only just started to read the brom and sans. posts and am amazed at your diverse collection and excellent photos. I also have a small collection of Sans. and Dyckia. Just wish I could buy from overseas but it is impossible to get plants through our quarantine safely. Most perish before they are released. Some seeds are allowed in, but even this is getting difficult. Thank you for sharing your photos -

• stephania
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohh...Thanks Plantsplus ! you have set your eyes on my secret Haa ha ha ;>))
    You know, I also try to find out between face up or down that which one better.
    Anyway, your mention about variegator virus, I need them here,
    because I could be a millionaire from them Hee he he

OT, As I'm a Dyckia fancier, I would like to see your collection of both too.

Cheers,
    Chanin