Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karate626

Increasing Growth (Pics included)

karate626
14 years ago

When I went to Universal Studios Florida (the summer of 2006), I admired the gardens as well as the rides. I found one garden in Seuss Landing that had TONS of plane snake plants. I remembered reading that you could grow a new snake plant from a leaf. I thought a Snake plant would make a cool long lasting souvenir so I looked and found a couple leaves that a child or careless landscaper must have ripped off of the plant. I put them in my stroller (went with family who had a toddler) and forgot about them until I got home about 2 weeks later. I stuck them in a pot with my aloe vera. Both leaves rooted but then one rotted. The other one (which I transplanted to a separate pot) only had small roots and no new growth. Well after 2 YEARS I noticed new growth. It grew another small leaf and since then I there has been no new growth. It is now almost 2010 so I've had this plant for 4 years and it has done almost nothing. I am hoping some one will be able to give me som tips on how to increase or speed up my plant's growth. Sorry for such a long (and boring) post. Below are some pics of my plant (sorry some are so blurry).

Thanks for looking. Any advice is greatly wanted!!!

T.J.

Comments (4)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

You should never have separated them, San. love to be crowded it will take three years or more to look good again. The soil does not look right, they may rot in that soil. I would take them out of the soil and set them back into one pot, be sure to keep them warm meaning between 65-75 if growing in the house or green house. Water sparingly during winter months, my shrivel a bit but that is okay at least I will not get rot at the base of the leaves. I hope you believe me, I have been doing this for the past 30 years. Add coarse washed construction sand to the soil, Home depot carries this, any hardware store or Nursery should also have this. You must keep the soil light and airy and not packed down. Put a top dressing on the top of the soil, and don't bury the plant too deep, it will take care of it. Top Dressing: pebbles of about 1/4" to 1/2" about 1" deep it will hold the plant in. Norma

• woodnative
    14 years ago

Norma is right and I agree with her about the soil. Also, you will probably get a lot of growth if it is put outside in teh summer.....I am in NJ and this works for me. Put the plants out in a cloudy day in May when things warm up......put them in a shady spot, like partially under a shrub, an dgive them some fertilizer on occasion. Usually you get some nice new growth by the end of summer.
    BTW, your post is not too long or boring......never hesitate to post....and the more details the better!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I use Osomote ferterlizer, which workes well for me, I tbs per month and plenty of water in the summer months.
    Do somethiing with that soil. You need a light mix. If not light enough give them pumice. Your plant may need lower light the color is not right. Be patient it will grow. They need heat to grow and low light. They seldom have a bug, so that is not your concern at this time. You are intitled to make a mistake or two until you learn. I already made my share of them. Norma

• karate626
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Would adding builders sand from lowes or home depot solve my soil problem?

happy new year!!!
    T.J.