Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahass309

Snake plant broke off at base

eahass309
10 years ago

Hi all! I'm new here and I need help! My brother bought me a snake plant about a year ago. I've maintained it with the same kind of care I always have. I water it about once a month and just leave it alone. It always has looked great. But this time when I watered it, about a week after, it started yellowing. I moved it to a slightly brighter location (out of the very light-filtered corner) and then its tallest leaf (stem?) fell over. This morning I lifted up the leaf and the whole plant just fell off at the base!
Does anyone know why this might have happened? Will the roots put out a new plant? I love this plant and am crushed that it just kinda fell apart like that.

Comments (12)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh this is a bummer. It sounds like it was rotting at the roots/crown. Does the pot have a drain hole? Could you add a pic?

• User
    10 years ago

Could you pls. show us pix?

Of the remaining part in its planter & of the part that broke off?

I agree w/ the comment above, it's really the only thing that can cause a Sans. to collapse or fall apart is rot, or stem rot, from overwatering, or bad soil or both.

First thing to do is sprinkle cinnamon on the bottom of the remaining portion that broke off (it acts as a natural anti-fungal, so I'd suggest it here to deter further rot).

If you pls show us what you've got, well suggest if & how you might try to save it or re-root portions if possible).

Sorry for your bummer, I recently had this happen to a plant I tried to rescue/adopt & yes, stinks.

But maybe we can try to help, depending on what the pix show.

• eahass309
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, there were a few "stems" (leaves?) that all came out of the same place. When the base broke off from the roots, these pieces seperated from each other. It all just kind of fell apart, but I do have the one piece (the center piece) in some water because I didn't want it to dry out whil waiting for suggestions.

• eahass309
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is all that's left because the big tall leaf fell off.

• eahass309
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, here's the pot with the soil it was in. I haven't done anything with it since the plant fell apart.

• eahass309
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And yes. The pot has 4 drain holes.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

I responded twice and it's not showing. I guess they don't want me to have a comment.
    Stush

10 years ago

Is the soil moist? It looks it but never can tell for sure from a pic. Being constantly moist can be deadly to Sans, especially if not in tons of light, and/or a cooler room.

Since there are no roots attached to the leaves, I would assume they rotted though pics don't allow one to feel the leaves or soil. The whitish residue at the soil surface looks like salt deposits, usually from tap water chemicals building up to toxic level.

I would remove the pieces from water, let them dry well. If anything is firm still after completely drying, you may be able to propagate the individual leaves. The smaller one looks the most promising but I wouldn't bet much money on it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry, not what I wanted to say either. Nobody likes to lose a plant. This poor little guy looks like a goner.

10 years ago

Sorry, Stush, I bet it was a good one too!

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry, but that's pretty much done.

I believe it's some kind of rot, root rot or stem rot, that started down below & was likely going on for some time.

I'd get rid of the old soil (in case thatâÂÂs where the problem was). Sans. don't re-start from roots (just from divisions or single leaves) tho' I don't see any roots anywhere here anyway.

On the remaining leaf, pls, cut back to healthy green tissue, & leave it out to dry a day or 2. You could then sprinkle the cut end w/ cinnamon, shake it off & then pot it up DRY in new mix (like cactus & succulent mix w/ extra perlite). It may or may not take, the leaf may already be too damaged (which may not be visible). All one can do is try -- sorry, I know thatâÂÂs not the desired result.

It will likely take MONTHS to re-start even if it DOES work. I've had it take up to a year.

IâÂÂd take whatever remaining leaf out of the water or thatâÂÂs likely to rot as well. If you want to show thatâ IâÂÂll tell you if itâÂÂs worth trying to re-start or not.

So sorry.

• eahass309
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well thanks guys. I guess I'll try to dry the leaf that seems ok and then do the cinnamon thing to try repotting in new soil. I appreciate all the input! You guys are great!!

10 years ago

Glad to share info! Just because it's in writing, I should fix this:

This sentence I wrote is wrong:
    Being constantly moist can be deadly to Sans, especially if not in tons of light, and/or a cooler room.

Should say:
    Being constantly moist can be deadly to Sans, especially if NOT in tons of light, and/or IS IN a cooler room.