Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Care

Posted by joshc Z8-TX (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 03 at 11:34

Sorry for my lack of postings, I haven't been doing much with the plants besides shuffling around to keep 'em from freezing outside. Not much in the way of new acquisitions, save for a couple vines of this and that, no new Sans. My question is this; if protected from wind, and in good health, what min temps can some of the different trifasciata varieties tolerate? Are some more cold tolerant than others? I have limited room inside so I'm trying to prioritize which plants get moved inside first (don't worry, most of my sans are already inside ;-) and which , if any, might have to fend for themselves outside. On the plus side, I kind of anticipate a mild winter, but yesterday it got down into low 30's I think, and really gusty wind. Let me know what y'all think about cold tolerences, and what you are doing to protect your own plants for the winter!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Care

Gosh, Josh, I thought Texas was always hot - forgive my ignorance! I suppose the Sans would be all right as long as it doesn't get damp.

o

I think JonD spoke of doing some 'unintentional experiments' on this subject in the past. He'd stated that they can get quite cold (40's, if I recall?) as long as they're kept quite dry, as Marguerite stated. You might want to email Jon...I'm sure he'd be more than happy to offer some info.

o

I'd be especially careful with any variegated varieties that you have, as they seem to be more temperaturesensitive, especially when damp.

Joe "killed 'em with the best" DeRosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here