Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Bird's Nest Sans - recovering

lme5573
11 years ago

It's been two weeks I posted about my over watered bird's nest sans, and here is an update.

This picture shows a top view of the original plant. (what survived). It had a few roots in September when I repotted it. I moved it from my dining room to my plant lights, hoping to encourage more growth. We don't get much sunshine from November to February, and I want it to grow - not simply survive.
The lights are to the left, so the right hand plant is more accurate to color.

Comments (19)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These 2 plants are the ones with no roots. I am holding them in place with the stones, and shifted them for the picture. I can see no rot, no withering, and it looks good to me. I'm not sure if there are any roots yet, but I am willing to wait. It is still dry, and also under the lights.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last picture is a rooted leaf! I started it in September and it turned very yellow and curled. I moved it to the lights and overnight it started turning green. Now I can see two small roots - one on the far right of the leaf and another to the left of that. I am tempted to mist or give a few sips of water, but the leaf looks better every day without, so I will wait.

This is so hard to not water these plants, but I really want it to grow again. Thanks for your help. :-)
    Lennie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Somehow I missed this when you posted originally, I know I would have said how cute these little plants are! How's things going?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

If I would see this plant at my big box stores, I would pick it up in a heartbeat. This one is different. It is no regular hahnii.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Looks good so far.

If you MUST water, just lightly mist around the outer edge of the mix ONLY of the Sans. which has visible roots.

This bit of mist/moisture at the outer edge MAY make the roots reach for it (at least that's my theory & I'm stickin' to it).

You'll see Lennie, eventually, your patience will be rewarded!

• Michaela
    11 years ago

lme5577,
    Your plant looks like a S. t. Hahnii 'Malachite'. This variety has a keel, or thickening of the center, which can be felt with the fingers. Some leaves have a speckled appearance, and some show some cross banding associated with many sansevierias. Can you see/feel these characteristics? Below I post a picture of 'Malachite', and another in a 2nd message.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

... a 2nd picture of 'Malachite'.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for reposting. My sans have not died, and I misted the soil around my biggest ones just yesterday. I'll take new pictures later today.
    Michaela, I just checked and my sans does not have a such a prominent keel as Malachite. But it does have both checkered and striped leaves. I thought it had sported when it died and I restarted it the first time.
    I found a good spot near my lightstand, and they are greening up, but not losing the yellow entirely. I am watching the growing centers and I think I'm getting very good growth there. I also added rocks and water so they are getting more humidity. I'll get pictures yet this morning.
    Lennie

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here they are today. These are the rooted ones, although the left one is still a bit wobbly and doesn't have a lot of roots. When I compare the 2 pictures, I do see growth, so I am encouraged. Top view.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one is not rooted yet. I removed it from the pot and there were no roots. But no rot, and so I put it back and took this picture from the top. There are two plants in this pot, and the one on the right has a nice growing point. I'm pulling the leaf back to show there is another plant. This on is just starting to get new growth in its center.

And - Michaela - you are right - it IS Malachite. The first leaf I felt was a young one, but the older leaves do have a keel. These leaves are thin and flexible, but there is a keel. Thank you for the ID.
    My sister gave me this plant in the 80s because her cats were chewing on it. She told me it was a dwarf snake plant.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's so cool, you're doing a great job! Thanks for the update. Sending good vibes to your plants!

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Regarding ID of the plant - I asked my sister when and where she got the plant. She said it was in a small planter from my Grandmother's funeral, which was August 1975. That significantly narrows the possibilities, doesn't it?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Lme,
    I think your plant started out as 'Hahnii' but over the years changed due to environmental changes into something else. May revert back when back to normal conditions.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been over a year, and I thought I'd share my bird's nest sans' progress. It has three new pups, and is firmly rooted in the pot once again!
    I found a good spot for it - my dining room table, about 4 feet from a south window. I water it once a month, sometimes a little more in the summer, but never once a week as I did before.
    I also managed to save the smaller pot which had two rootless pups. That pot also has 2 new pups and is growing. It's not as pretty, the old leaves are solid green and the new growing centers are cross hatched.
    Thank you all for your kind advice when I was so worried I would lose the plant.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture, same plant, from the back side, showing the new pups. I have hope it will take off this summer and fill the pot as it did 2 years ago.

Lennie in Grand Rapids, MI

• pinkgnome412
    10 years ago

Lennie they are beautiful!! They look completely healthy and vibrant! I have several that look exactly like those, all came from my very first one that was a gift from a student's mom a few years ago. I also made the same mistakes you did and almost lost all of them but am now rectifying the situation thanks to all the information on this forum. I hope they look like yours soon!! Great job, very inspiring!

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Your plants really are very pretty despite all the problems you had...........You did a super job on keeping them alive.

I want to find one that is not tall, I have a tall variegated one outside and neighbor planted it in dirt. but guess it loves it. I just don't happen to like that kind. I like the small ones like you have that go around in the planter...............

Neysa

• lme5573
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Greetings! It's been some time since I've posted on these forums. I would like to thank everyone who helped me salvage my Grandmother's hahnii from 1975. This shows the new pups - nice cupped pups and I love the deep colors. I put the pot in my south facing window and watered only once/month at least. I have an overhang on the house, so the pot was in bright, indirect light, and best of all, they were warm. Thanks again for all your help, this plant held a lot of sentimental value for me.