Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelthepoet

New Sans. ---- blooms included!

rachelthepoet
11 years ago

This is my second sans.! I was excited to find this one today. The label says sans. Trifasciata, but I wanted to double check the type with you experts since this plant looks nothing like my first sans (which had the same label---but it is the expected green with yellow trim).

I also wanted to ask about repotting. The soil is moist, but not soaked. I don't want to repot if it will mess up the bloom cycle. One bloom is a little broken, but the other is intact. Since I don't know if more blooms are coming and the soil isn't awfully wet, can I wait to repot for a little while?

Thanks!!!

Comments (13)

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Good catch! It is 'Bantel's Sensation', a still uncommon 'laurentii' cv., described in Chahinian's book on page 45. Leaves have variable stripe patterns, but it is a stable cv. Smaller and slower than laurentii, it rarely produces spikes. (Never seen one in any of my plants). I am curious to know if pollen is produced or if it is andro-sterile.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

At first I thought Roberto was mistaken. But looking further and enlarging the photo. I have to agree with him. Also, because it is blooming and is doing so well, keep it like it is until spring time when it is warmer and can take a shock of transplanting. Just remember to let it dry out for longer periods than normal and keep warm. And by the way, the name is Sansevieria trifasciata Bantel's Sensation. So it is a trifasciata after all. Great find indeed.
    Stush

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Roberto and Stush for your quick ids! You've both made me feel like I found something special! I can't believe I found this at Lowes for only $5.

I'll leave it like it is and ill make sure to update when I do repot or if I get anymore blooms now that it is home... I hope they keep coming!

Roberto: i'm not an expert by any means, but I popped off a green bud on the broken bloom and opened it up for you. It does look like yellow pollen on the inside.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I think it's special! I've only ever seen 2 Sans blooms in person. Please let us know if it smells good when the flowers open. So cool!

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Roberto!!!
    I love it when you speak pedantic. You are absolutely correct. We should ALL be so careful with our labels.
    Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

So, properly speaking,it is NOT a variety of S.trifasciata but of S.trifasciata v.laurentii.
    So laurentii is not a trifasciata?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey, Rachel. How's it looking now? Have you gotten a whiff of perfume yet?

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple: no smells that I've noticed and no good changes. From the top down, buds / blooms are gradually drying up

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Rachel,

Have you checked for fragrance in the evening? Some plants smell more strongly then, sometimes white ones in particular, which I hear is what many Sans. bloom (as I've never seen in in person myself).

Lucky you, enjoy!!

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Rachel and all they flower usually at 10:00 here in Calif. a few opening up at a time and are closed by the morning, these will reopen again, but a few more will open the next night until the flower stem is complete finished, it has been said they are fertilied by a moth, I have hand pollinated mine, but stayed up all night doing it. Use a tiny camel hair brush if you have the patience to do so, being sure to get the pollen in the right place. Seed may take up to a year to ripen. Let us know know you do. You may need the pollen or two different seed grown plants, I don't know if they are self fertile. Norma

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Sorry for the errors but the right hand is barely functing at this time.
    Finglers don't work correctlyl I hope I made my self clear.
    When it does flower on a growth, it will not flower on that growth again, so use it for new offsets in another pot, this will restart the plant again, it will only flower on new growth. These plants like to be crowded, so don't be in a hurry to make new plants.

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The blooms and stalks/spikes are completely brown. Now that the flowering time is over, should I trim off the stalks? Since Norma said it wouldnt flower in the same place, i didnt know if i should leave the brown stalk as a marker until if/when i divide.

The soil looks so awful that I'm tempted to repot, but I'd like to hold off for another month with Stush's warm weather recommendation

Anyway, I just wanted to keep you posted on its progress and ask those few questions. You have all been so great!