Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Sansevieria trifasciata Futura? (ID Needed)

plantomaniac08
12 years ago

Is this Sansevieria trifasciata Futura? I'm curious because the leaves on mine seem to be wider than most pictures of Futura that I've seen online (perhaps this is just from different growing conditions, but I wanted to be sure before I attach a name to it and I'm incorrect).

Also, sort of an off topic question, but does anyone know if there is a difference between Futura Simplex, Compacta, and Superba or are these all synonymous? I couldn't find anything online regarding this.

{{gwi:115799}}

{{gwi:115800}}

Thanks for the input!

Comments (14)

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pirate_girl,
    I just purchased it today and haven't had the chance to repot it yet. I was thinking the soil looked a little too peaty myself for a sans myself. In regards to posting twice, I have seen others do it before (I didn't check to see the dates that theirs were posted, I should have) so I assumed it was ok. Next time I'll wait to post the same thread on a different forum. Thanks for the caution on the mix, I'll be sure to give it something that will drain better.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

plantomaniac08,
    Boy are you opening a can of worms asking for a name. There is much debate on this subject. It is very well grown and time will be the best judge. My best guess is Compacta. I'll try to find a link so you could judge yourself.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stush,
    Oh my, I did not mean to open a can of worms... I'm glad that you feel this plant is well grown, I hope I can keep it that way. I'm looking forward to seeing your link if you can find one. I researched quite a bit before I came on here to ask but I ended up more confused.

12 years ago

plantomaniac08,
    Ok, after spending a few hours on the internet I found the link I wanted you to read.
    http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm
    It is a production guide to sansevieria. What you look like having is a 'Futura Superba'. What's that? Well it is a name made up by a nursery selling their brand of sans. That is what I meant about a can of worms. Seems everyone puts their own spin on a plant. Time will tell. If it is a 'Superba' it should stay smaller, but taller than hahnii. Confused yet. The more you know the more questions come up. Just my best guess!!!
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stush,
    I do see what you mean by opening a can of worms. I wouldn't have thought plants could be so... subjective. Granted, I do remember reading somewhere how two plants (exactly the same with regard to species, etc) could be placed in two different environments and end up looking different overtime, so I think I can understand where the worms come from. *phew*

Thanks for looking online for me, you were able to find more than I was able to come across. After looking at 'Futura Superba' online just now, a website (not sure if it's "valid") stated that it's a hybrid between S. trifasciata 'Laurentii' and a hahnii. That would make sense to me as the leaves are wider than I'm used to seeing on a Sans 'laurentii', but not quite tall enough to be a Compacta (at least from looking online, Compacta looks taller than a hahnii). I learned something today, apparently Futura refers to "medium height" (generally?). Thanks for sparking further interest in this plant.

12 years ago

plantomaniac,
    I bought one I thought was a hahnii but the more pups it sent out the bigger it got. Still, it looks simular to yours.

{{gwi:112484}}
    It is a few years old and seems to not get any larger.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stush,
    Thank you for sharing, I do see the similarities between your plant and mine. I hope that one day if I do not manage to kill this plant, that it will have as many pups as yours has. :)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Stush,

Could you be meaning to say pot bound (not pop bound)? Otherwise, don't know what that means.

12 years ago

Ha, I just noticed that. Don't know it it's spelling or typing mistack. Thanks Karen.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Stush,

Well no biggie, as long as I could follow what you meant.

On that last photo, the one you said the plant seems not to be getting larger, feel around the bottom of the pot, perhaps there's a rhizome down below. Sans. are known to break out of pots, can't tell if your pot is clay or plastic, if plastic you can feel around the bottom, often a rhizome will distort the shape & one can feel it w/ one's fingers. I recently had this happen at a plant meeting & took the opportunity to unpot it & show folks the rhizome down below, was looking for a place to break out.

12 years ago

Karen,
    It's in a very thick plastic pot. I know there is no more potting mix left in it. All roots and rhizomes. It has to stay that way until I repot it this spring. If I take it out, I am afraid it will not go back in. Any way I am not going to water it (hardly) until spring.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

If it has roots, you can divide the plant. But it must be kept in the house or warm greenhouse until it is established, but watch the watering. Make sure the soil, is tapped down on a hard cement step you don't want any air holes in the soil or the roots will dry out. Don't over water now, when you see new leaves coming up then water. If the leaves wrinkle, and fold in two, give water from the bottom only.

12 years ago

good advice, I will remember in spring when I have more room to operate. Also I have to find friends to give away pups to.