Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelthepoet

Braided Sans. Cylindrica

rachelthepoet
11 years ago

We saw this cute plant yesterday. I've never seen a sans cylindrica before, but thought this was neat. The 6 inch pot was $20, and it looks like 9 plants braided together. Is this kind of display usual for this plant? Would the shape be hard to maintain over time as it grows? Was this price a good deal?

Comments (19)

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I have seen these on occasion. Not sure if the price is good or not but this form of S. cylindrica does make a nice plant. It will be difficult to maintain the brainds in the long term though. the braids that are there will stay fine.....but new growth coming from the base of those leaves will be normal S. cylindrica fans.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I would love to see them do this. I know there is a trick but just can't see how they do it. I've see this on lucky bamboo which is not bamboo but still almost imposable for a home gardener to do. I can't remember who explained this. Maybe Al from houseplant forum. Any body want to guess how. I think they said they were grown in heat and darkness for several months and then braded.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I keep coming by to look at this pic. It's so perfect!

11 years ago

Like now.

• rachelthepoet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha! Thanks, purple! I enjoy this pic too. I regret not buying this plant, but if it is meant to be, I'll find this sans again! Haven't been to this store since ( it is 20-30 min north of us), so I'm probably due to head up that way sometime soon :)

11 years ago

Just looking again myself. I bet that this is 9 stem cuttings and may or may not be rooted. There may be a band on the bottom under the soil holding them together. The soil looks wrong also. But if you like it, buy it. You only live once and it is a small price to pay for happiness. All the money I wasted on so many other things, why not some thing that will be with you for a life time w/proper care.
    Stush

11 years ago

Stush, I agree, the fascination isn't just that it looks cool, it eludes explanation, and it's like a flower. It will be perfect for a relatively short time, until it starts making pups and/or one of the leaves passes on. Definitely cool today! Here I am again.

• lme5573
    10 years ago

I picked this one because it has 3 pups, and I think that when I need to repot it, I can take the pups and put them in their own pot.

Lennie in Grand Rapids, Michigan

ooooh, that husband of mine - he's a keeper, for sure!

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Now, I'm sure the price was worth it! It's beautiful...especially with the offsets.

10 years ago

Well that answered my question about what the offsets would look like. I thought they may have juvenile leaves and take some time to produce those spikes. So this is what I am going to expect with mine.
    Thank you.
    Stush

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

That makes me think they are unrooted leaves forming plantlets. If this is true, they will eventually rot

10 years ago

Teen,
    Not so. See the spikes coming up from the pot. Those are from the rooted cuttings. If you leave on the leaf, the leaf will be just fine.
    Stush

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Here's an update of my sans. cylindrical.
    Nothing is rotting, in fact I can see a 4th spike in my pot. But I can also see this is simply awful soil. I'd like to repot into a mix with more perlite and grit, but I wonder if I'll kill those spikes when I remove that terrible peat.

Lennie

10 years ago

The soil is up to you and how you water it. If you can control your watering, leave alone. It is growing great in that soil and shows no signs of distress. I lost more sans in gritty mix than in the soil they came in. It may well be coconut fiber or some other soil the nursery is using. They were successful with it so you not you? I think temp and light are the most important factors.

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Thank you, Stush! I really didn't want to dig around in this pot while I'm getting new growth.
    And I totally agree with you about temperature and light being an important factor with sans. I struggled with my sans last winter, and they only improved when I moved them to a warmer room
    Lennie

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The spikes are what I was calling plantlets. I thought that Eventually the leaves would rot If bthey were producing babies

10 years ago

Nope.

• nickp15
    9 years ago

About the braided lucky "bamboos", I heard that they are laid on their side so that the new growth springs in an upward manner. Then it's a matter of rotating them every so many hours so that they keep twisting in an attempt to grow upright.

I hope my explanation made sense...

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz