Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Did I find something special again??

While at Wal-Marts today, I saw one and only one small hahnii. I noticed some beginnings of yellow stripping in it. Will this pass on in the pups? Will it get more intense? Well, you be the judge. Let me know. For only $3.00 I can't go wrong.

Stush

Comments (26)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

It'll be fun to watch and see what happens. Nice plant. Your Walmart is better than mine!

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Great find Stush!! That should come true in the pups. If you ever have a spare pup down the line, in the future, I would LOVE one of them! I really like that variegation. Different from 'Streaker'....almost like hahni striated which I have been looking for for a long time. That is awesome!!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris,
    That hahnii has 3 pups forming right now. One does have the pattern in it and it is yourscome spring.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Stush,
    You and your great finds. :)

Planto

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Yup! Awesome find and good eye!! Thank you for your generous offer too!

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Hi Stush,
    If you want to give it a name, it is Hahnii 'Siebert', and it is definitely worth more as a collector plant than you paid for it. Good eye! Isn't it fun to walk the plant aisles armed with a little more information about plants than the average goof? Ha! There are probably more of these around the various Walmarts in the country, so readers get out there and find them!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Mike. I'll add it to my excel list.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush,

Hey stush you're always finding nice treasures in your neck of the woods, So how have you been lately?

I've just been peddling @ my garden lately nothing serious had to bring my Sans. Bantel back in doors and it has had some nice growth added to it and is looking strong as ever too.

That one agave plant you sent me really looks nice, the one I thought at first was a Sanseveria plant until you straightened me out on the I.D, at first I thought boy this plant is growing fast!

Anyway she looks really nice and strong and it's healthy and it's been growing quick too.

Stush, Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Years brother.

Greg

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Hahnii 'Seibert' is described on page 84 in Chahinian's book. It was named after James Seibert of dallas Center, Iowa. My plant didn't travel such a long way: I found it in a garden center near my home in Italy. Maybe it is a common mutation.Very strong and fast growing plant, indeed.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had Sans in my life for well over 50 years. It was not until I joined this site that I knew anything. You guys taught me everything. I changed the soil from regular garden soil to fast draining soil and also started feeding them more. The result, I have never seen so much change and different growth in my plants as what I got last year on my porch. Thanks all and Marry Christmas and a very prosperous New Year.
    Nice hearing from you Greg.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

roberto2 thanks for sharing your photo too. Does anyone grow a striated hahni??? (variegation more "random" throughout the leaves and different on each pup)? I know they exist....but have never seen one. Stush....it is a fun group of plants. A regular S. trifasciata can suffer in the corner of a dark room with almost no water for years. However, given proper mix, warmth, sun, fertilizer, and regular watering it is amazing to watch them put out new growth!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris,
    The hahnii you gave me so far is the most random variegated plants I own. The Streaker reverted back to more normal tones for now.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

They are looking GREAT Stush!! Good growing!! I like those two cultivars a lot and they don't take up too much room!

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I have only grown two, then gave it to the Huntington
    gardens, I was afraid it was going to die for me, it had gray variegation on the middle of the leaves. Don't remember the name. It's shown in Juan's book. It'e been stable for us. One more that showed a lot of yellow died after about five year. on this one each leaf was different also each growth. Until as far as I am concerned, it is not a new form until it is stable. This is just my training and opionion. I don't think it matters that much, Norma

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

I found this today at the greenhouse and remembered it from this thread. There are 4 crammed into the pot. (is anyone still looking for one of these?) I'm not sure this one has the most prominent yellow stripe through the center, but there's something there. Go me. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes you got one. Good for you. I got two myself, and almost as big as yours. Great find.
    Stush

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Great find! Mine (thanks again Stush!) is pupping!!

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Only if it is special to you, they are only leaves.

• hijole
    10 years ago

GREG Lol..

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Stush and woodnative, do you both still have your hahnii seibert? I won an unmarked sans from ebay and I could see the stripes on it, very faint. I did a search for hahnii striped and came across this thread. I should get it by Wednesday and I will post a picture, I don't think posting the seller's picture is allowed.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    8 years ago

Cool. Do all of the pups have that? There are three plants in the pot I won and they all have those faint sripes.

• woodnative
    8 years ago

Yes the variegation is stable and comes true. All pups have it. The effect is subtle

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    8 years ago

Received my sans today.

• woodnative
    8 years ago

Very nice!! You have quite a collection now!!

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Very nice, good luck with it!