Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Argh!!! Mealies!!

woodnative
17 years ago

I have a lot of experience growing plants, privately and in the past commercially/research, so this should NOT have happened. I am new to Sansevieria, so my collection and plants are young. Plants received in 2006 are being kept in a heated "plant room" at my work, under shop lights. The shelf they are on is above eye level, which is not ideal, but it is warm and that is the space available. Most of these little guys have settled in and many were showing new growth. I notice one of the 'Hahni' sports, which had been growing well, didn't look well last week. The older leaves looked worst today, so I took it down only to discover LOTS of mealy bugs. Several surrounding plants also had this problem, to varying degrees. This should not have happened, but Sans are relatively "pest free" and they seemed to be doing well. Periodically inspect ALL your plants. These mealies seem to thrive on the Sans, covering the newest growth and present at the base of many of the leaves. If they were lower, they would have been spotted much sooner. I now have to pay for my mistake, hopefully I will not lose any plants in the process. All have been sprayed thoroughly with Orthene and they will get hit again in two weeks, plus afterwards. Just wanted to share my mistake to prevent someone else from making a similar error!!

Comments (3)