Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Has Anyone Seen This Kind of Damage Before?

pirate_girl
10 years ago

Hi Folks,

I have a no ID Sans (likely Moonshine) from which I recently removed these few leaves. I keep this above eye level, so didn't see the damaged leaves right away.

I don't recognize the way this damage looks, does anybody else? The rest of the plant looks fine.

Can't imagine anything but overwatering, about which I've been careful, but look at the leaves I had to remove.

Let's see if I can find a pic of the rest of the plant, looks fine.

Perplexing

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• simplegreenguy
    10 years ago

Could it be lack of light it looks pale.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

agreed. Maybe too little water?

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Although this is not the best time to do this, I would probably look at the rhizomes for rot.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Guys,

Well thanks. As to the first 2 responses, I don't know, I've got another similar plant, just one shelf below, same conditions & it's just fine.

I suspect Solar is right thanks, (duh to me); it's usually what I'd recommend, I just didn't think far enough.

I didn't grow these 2 plants myself, I adopted them from my local plant society as they were leftovers from a meeting one night. I think I did change their mix, but maybe that one had issues on arriving. I hadn't noticed anything on potting into my mix. Hum.

I'll try & post about what I find, thanks.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Have you investigated the possibility of thrips? Pics of Sans damaged by thrips are hard to find but the few I did were somewhat similar, not exactly though. Not at all saying that's what it is, just that I might get a magnifying glass out to see what I could see.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Any recent news regarding your Sans? Were you able to check the roots yet?

Planto

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stem rot it is, characterized by that a bit of a wobble at the base of the foliage division.

Oh well, I cut the growth off (hopefully) above the rot, have dusted the end w/ cinnamon & am leaving it out for a day or two. Will stand it up in empty clay pot or maybe stand it up in a base of pumice to try to re-root.

I took pix of the operation, but haven't uploaded them yet.

Thanks for asking Planto -- fingers crossed but I'm not optimistic.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Sure thing. :) I didn't reply initially (didn't know what was wrong with it), but had been following your post and was curious of your progress in determiming what was wrong. Sorry to hear it has stem rot. It's hard taking on a plant whose past care you're unfamiliar with at best. I hope you're able to save it. Let us know what happens.

Planto

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here come some pix of the damage I found.

Looking inside, see the browning tip of the new growth? Sorry, not the best pix.

The narrower portion here is where the wobble is, at the base of the inner portion,

Not much there, nothing left to save.

I cut it back, but I'm not optimisitic, it's a bit discolored.

The worthless remainder

Oh well, the other one is still in good shape. I don't have a pic of it, but will post back if this division does anything interesting.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Maybe it's just the lighting, but it sure does look yellow. I'll cross my fingers for you (can hope for miracles right?). At least your other one is in good shape. I think I remember reading somewhere on here, pretty sure Stush mentioned it, 'Moonshine' Sans are more susceptible to overwatering in the winter for some reason (just like 'Golden Hahnii). Not to imply you overwatered, just mentioning that they seem like one of the more "fickle" Sans. I almost killed mine last year during the winter, it survived long enough for me to give it to my Mom. She tends to forget she has plants sometimes, so it likes her more than me, haha. I'm an over-nurturer and can be an overwaterer all the same if I'm not careful.

Planto

• brandkb
    10 years ago

I know I'm chiming in late but I brought back a hahnii from the brink with some liquid kelp diluted to half strength. I trimmed off the rot and repotted (turns out my husband was watering it because he thought I wasn't... so nice of him but he leaves the plant care to me now) and it was showing strong signs of life about 10 days after I gave it the liquid kelp.

If you tend to overwater, I'd consider using a cactus/succulent mix. If that sounds scary, perhaps half cactus mix and half of your regular, non-moisture controlling potting mix.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the thought, but it's a goner already. Looking back, it might have been damaged already when it came to me & I didn't realize it.

I'm a regular here & so I'm well versed in fast draining mixes suited for succulents, but thanks anyway.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Thanks for the update, sorry to hear it didn't make it. I often wonder if Sans don't show damage of any sort until a good while after you've taken them in. I've had a number of Sans and those of which declined, I wasn't convinced that there wasn't something wrong with them to begin with (our BBS here keep them moist/wet year-round for example). I think they initially look nice and healthy on the outside, roots even, but with such a fast decline as you've experienced (and myself), I can't help but wonder if like you said, it may have been damaged already and you (and I) didn't realize it.

Not to compare a cactus to a Sans (they are both succulent type plants though), a couple years ago all my outdoor plants got sprayed when the apt people failed to notify us they hired someone to pressure wash the exterior of apartments/patios. I came home to everything dripping in what smelled like bleach. Long story short, some plants died immediately, my cacti... they took about 6 months before they all declined one by one. I think they suffered damage from the spraying, but it took awhile to manifest.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 8:41