Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Where is everyone???

Long time no postings. My most favorite house plant and no posts. Lets here from someone, anyone!!

Lonely Stush

Comments (21)

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Hi lonely, I have responded but I never hear from you so don't complain. Lonely Norma

My favorite house plant is Sansevieria dawei, a decorator plant that is huge, striking with leaves 2.5 ft tall and 6" across growing in low light in the living room. Norma

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Norma,
    If I missed you, please forgive me. I get so confused posting in the other forums. I have received your latest email and replied. Hope all is well. where's everyone else? Does this forum get this slow in winter? I've only been posting for a few months. I've seen Karen and 'Master' Jeff on other forums. I hope Jeff doesn't get upset with the 'Mater' title. He's always helpful with the ID's of many cactus and succulents. It wasn't me who pined that title to Jeff, I only endorsed it.
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Stush-
    Always good to see a post here. Things have slowed down it seems but I know I for one have been busy with family and holidays coming up. My Sans have to suffer inside over winter though I do have a couple under lights at work. I have some leaves of Lavranos 23251 I wanted to play around with that are now rooted and started to throw up some shoots. I may hit a couple with dilute roundup to see if I can any variegation though that may just kill them. Someone very kindly sent me a variegated masoniana towards the end of summer which are also under the lights. They are now beginning to put up new growth so I think they settled in ok. I have a really neat futura variegated but it is in too dark a place in my home and a little etiolated. It should recover next summer. Most other Sans are "just sitting there" for the time being!

Original Author
    12 years ago

WoodNative,
    Good to hear from you. I don't believe round up can do any good to our sans. RainforestGuy got some results but I think there are several other factors that may be out of the equation. After visiting Clearwater, Florida the past month, I saw the effects of chlorinated drinking water on the tropical plants around the houses. Also where they used herbicides along fence lines to control weeds. One spot had sans growing wild and I spent some time looking over the area. I should have taken pictures to show but didn't always have my camera with me. I think you would get more response coming out of Japan after their nuclear accident.
    I am retired and nothing to do but this. How lonely.
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hey Stush! Mixed blessings at all stages of life, I guess. I wish I had more free time.....but will be careful what I wish for....especially in today's economy. Yes, I don't expect much inducing variegation. These are "extra" plants to be so I figured I would play a bit. BTW if you want one let me know when the weather warms. It is a nice, pointy Sans very different from trifasciata types. What types do you grow?
    I know you have 'Forescate'. I have one but it has been a bit temperamental for me. It grows fine when conditions are ok but I have trouble overwintering it in my home (poor windows/light). I have a bunch of 'hahni' types on my windowsills......favorites are 'Streaker" and 'Jade Frost Marginated'. I also really love some of the unstable varietes....those where each new pup looks a little different like in 'Futura variegated' and 'Wagner's Gold' and these new masonianas I was kindly sent recently.

Original Author
    12 years ago

WoodNative,
    Thanks for the offer. All of mine are trifasciata. I also like the birdnest types. I have Gold Hahnii which I really like but is very temperamental. Warm and dry for the winter months. I just lost Sansevieria guineensis variegata. I have the roots and look ok but don't know what may come back. This happened to me last year and just when I was about to toss it, 2 pups started to come up. This time my luck is run out I think. Some stems of Forescate look just like it so I will still be happy with this one. If guineensis is this fussy, I really don't want it. Let's wait till spring and see what we have. I am always up to expand my Sans collection. (as long as my wife doesn't find out). I'll post a photo bucket photo so you can click on the picture and see my whole collection.
    {{gwi:105797}}
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Woodnative/100_1327.jpg[/IMG]
    Stush. This is window in my office. The plants that look like "spider plants" are actually Sansevieria parva. My wife kids me about the boxes of plants that show up on occasion!! LOL! BTW I killed a guiniensis variegated in the past too (also over winter).

Original Author
    12 years ago

Woodnative,
    Great collection! I copied your picture and put numbers in it. Could you ID them. Some I am very interested in. Some I have. Need more info.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Sure thing!!
    1. This is S. trifasciata hahni 'Streaker'. That particular plant is not at its best, I have a much better at home. Great little plant with great color and fairly easy as it still has a lot of green. Also, the variegation is stable and comes true. Each leaf has a silver stripe down the middle.
    2. hahni 'Silver Marginated'
    3. hahni 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. A Great little hahni with great color! Also easy and comes true. Not in this photo I also have futura 'Midnight Shine' with similar color pattern on a nice, fairly compactplant.
    4. hahni 'Silver Frost'. I like this plant......each pup is a little different. The leaves are a little narrower than the other hahnis with nice silvery color but it is a little more difficult to grow than the rest.
    5. This is a Sansevieria parva with random yellow variegation someone kindly sent me (thank you!) I just had it since this past Spring. It has produced two pups but both of them are solid yellow. I need to work with this and make more.
    6. This is a trifasciata. I don't know for sure if it is 'Siam Silver' or something similar. For as white as it is it is actually a very good grower for me.
    7. Hard to see the color there but that is S. trifasciata futura 'Morgenstern's futura aurea'. I think 'Asahi' is another name for one and the same plant. Each pup is a little different.....soem more yellow, some more silver. the colors would be brighter with more light.
    8. Sansevieria parva. Can't think of the cultivar name if there is one but "white variegated". Looks lke a spider plant and even produces new plants on runnters. Of course the leaves are much thicker than a spider plant and it grows MUCH slower!
    9. S. trifasciata 'Wagner's Gold'. Another neat plant......each pup comes out with a different amount of yellow. They start out mostly green and the yellow develops over time. The biggest leaf on the front is an all-green pup I need to cull out.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'll start my 2012 wish list now. #1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. top of the list is #5, 6 and 8. I'll have to hold on to your picture for a while. I can dream that their on my window seal. Thanks again.
    I too had a office befor retiring. I used to load it up almost wall to wall with plants. Can't beleave nobody told me to clear them out.
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

I should have extras of some of those come warmer wetter I will see what can be divided!

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

What do you call #3 lets see if I can get a reply. Stush, I am also willing to send you a plant. I have no problems with 'Forscate' I started 250 for the Huntington, no problem at all, but I didn't care for them. they did. They lost the first batch, so then I did another 250. I have green plants turning variegated and I don't know why, it may be the fertilizer? and forced growing. Never toss out a Sansevieria, the leaves can be brown, like a paper bag, however the rhyizomes may be healthy. We thought we lost a whole collection, they came back in the Spring. Stush you need to know something or you can't discuss the plants, people need to resoect what others know or they won't respond with names. If I know a plant name is wrong I won't correct it any more, other seem to know more then I do and told me so I quit replying. Norma

Original Author
    12 years ago

Norma,
    Plant #3 in above post is Sans. Tri~ Hahnii 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. Very simular to the one I have Sans. Tri~ Black Futura 'Goldedge'.

you can see the difference when photografted together. I just bought Goldedge this year. The Jade Dwarf Marginated is several years old. Planted with a reg. hahnii.
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Stush-
    I have not seen "goldedge" before. I have 'Midnight Shine' which is similar but the edge on 'Midnight Shine' is consistently narrower.
    Norma-
    Never stop posting. Your experience is valueable and there are many that DO appreciate it!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Woodnative,
    They have them discounted in nice 6" pots around me. I will have to pick them up befor it's too late. I didn't know anyone who wanted them. And or only $2.50
    Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

I wonder if they are actually just 'Compacta' renamed. I bought one of these cheap at Lowe's, unlabeled, as I thought it was a futura sized plant. After a year it elongated and grew out as 'Compacta' (sometimes sold as "Black Gold" but that is not a valid name). BTW, what is growing in those Dunkin Donut cup type terrariums on your windowsill???

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha, you noticed them. They make the perfect container for my venus fly traps and sundues. I am looking for a container to combine them all in. No hurry. These don't take up much room.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Pardon me guys, I have no contribution on this except a comment to our friend Norma.

Dear Norma,

Pls, DO CONTINUE TO POST & share as you do. Until those naysayers who have told you otherwise are willing to come on here & share their knowledge & their time even half as generously as you do, I'd ask that you pls. disregard them.

Pls. don't be so quick to let others shut you down Norma, they really have no right to do so & as you can see, there are others folks here asking that you pls. stay & continue to share your knowledge w/ us (that is others beside me).

• elichka
    12 years ago

I agree with Karen. Norma, i would like to ask you to continue to share all your knowledge with us. I read and reread some posts from you because that info and advices you gave to us are invaluable. Thanks a lot
    Inna

Original Author
    12 years ago

woodnative,
    That picture of your sans in you office is on a website posting pictures of 'Guineensis' as is the picture of my table full of sans.
    Also most of the Sans. that were discounted got trashed. I even asked the manager of K-Marts to let me go into their dumpster to fish them out. I don't think I'm in any shape to jump in and retreve them even if he would have said yes which he didn't. I thought of 'Marquest' doing it and I got the idea but my wife said no. I showed a picture of mine on this same link and can give you a nice starter if you want. I showed the picture for Norma.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hey Stush-
    I was just rereading the above. Noticed you mentioned the flytraps and dews. He he. I like the CPs too. I have a couple VFTS and dews but mostly I like Sarracenia.