Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

id please

beachplant
14 years ago

Got this little guy at Cactus King with no id.

It's not the greatest picture.

Thanks tons!

Tally HO!

Comments (15)

• hadrian
    14 years ago

it looks like S. 'Lillian True' or some hyrbid thereof.

Brian.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    Tally HO!

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Sorry, but I'd rather doubt that ID. My understanding is that Lillian True is a green & white variegate (which I collect, green & white variegates of all sorts of plants).

Seems very green & yellow (not white), tho' I guess there could be other hybrids. I'd search around for other matching pix.

Also, I think I'd give it a smaller pot unless its rootball is big enough to warrant that size pot; I can't tell that from above.

• grubworm
    14 years ago

Possibly S. trifasciata 'laurentii compacta'.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why would I put it in a smaller pot? It has roots growing out the bottom of this one. It's headed to the garden first chance I get.

Reading the description of Lillian True doesn't sound like this one. 'laurentii compacta' sounds more like it. This is a rather small plant, all the ones he had were the same size.
    Tally HO!

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Well then I stand corrected. If you see it's got roots coming out the bottom, that's lots more than I can see from the top. Still I'd wait 'til Spring to pot it up, especially if you're in a cold climate.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Shame of them for not putting on a label, I believe that to be 'Lillian True' please check it out. It's now after 12:00 That one is pretty easy to ID. It's a beauty, hermin Stover named the plant. Norma

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Norma, it's a nice dark color. He's not good at putting labels on plants and I don't think I asked him about this one.

I never put things in smaller pots here, they just outgrow them too quickly. We all THINK it's cold here, 61 yesterday, 41 last night. It's going out in the garden as soon as I get a chance. Spent the weekend working on the house. We'll probably finish just in time for hurricane season!
    Tally HO!

• hadrian
    14 years ago

TallyHO,

i agree about the pot size. i know sans like to be crowded, but i like to separate individual plants/rhizomes from crowded pots into their own pots and the individual plants fill out the new pots within a couple months (and are therefore crowded and happy again).

and regarding the name, i have both Lillian True and compacta. they both do look similar (cleaner and more elegantly shaped leaves than laurentii), but the one that i have labeled Lillian True looks exactly like the one in your pic. the ones i have labled compacta have a similar pattern on the leaves, but the leaves are thicker and more robust.

hope that helps,

Brian.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Brian, that helps tons. I pretty much grow all my sans in the garden. I discovered by accident they really like it there. Too lazy to repot a common sans that was busting out of it's pot so I just dug a hole and stuck it in. It took off and bloomed the same year. So I put the rest of them in the ground. Then I found this forum and lurked a lot. Now I'm addicted and collecting yet another plant! The pics make it worse! Still haven't found a place for this one, I don't want it to get lost out there.

BTW, did you find a tag on that other plant I was trying to ID? You can dig through hundreds of pics and webpages but nothing beats gardenweb users!
    Tally HO!

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hey TallyHO!

I am so glad you brought that up! i got kind of busy during xmas (leaving town and all) and haven't had a chance to come back on here. i finally came back on last night and was trying to find that tread, but couldn't find it because the cactus forum is so much busier. anyway, i did go find my plant and unfortunately, it didn't have a tag on it. however, i did confirm that mine looks exactly like yours. i think i got that plant on the free table at cactus/succulent club. have no fear, tho. SOMEBODY at our club knows (it scares me sometimes what these guys know off the top of their heads) and i will bring mine in and have it ID'd and let you know.

btw, sans are great! and it's good to hear more people getting into it. i have a few varieties. if you let me know which ones you're looking for or don't have, i'd be happy to send you some.

Brian.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I stand corrected as well, I couldn't see the height. I couldn't tell if those where young leaves which will still show short. These leave will not be be tall as the mother plant. 'Compacta' still shorter. But that is what I saw instantly and had no doubt about. Stand corrected, My 'Lillin True' also looks exactly like your picture. Remember that leaves can change color as they age, accordian to Juan chahinian the edges should be egg yoke yellow with white banding. That matches the description of my plant as well. Norma

• beachplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He had several of these in the greenhouse, they were all pretty short. He can usually rattle the name off his head but I just forgot to ask.

I've grown sans for years, I have no willpower, any plant I don't have obviously I NEED! Most of the stuff in the garden was ID'd before Ike, I got so freaked out about everything being dead I wouldn't even look in my species book to see what all died. Then the book burned up in the fire. Now things are calming down and I wanna know what they are! Most things I know, somewhere in my brain but others...... All the plant books except a couple of cactus books are still in boxes waiting on us to finish the house so we can get them unpacked.

Thanks again Brian for all your help. I've got a lot of tropicals, etc. to swap for your sans. I need to update my trade list!
    Tally HO!

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hey Tally HO!

i just updated my trade list. take a look at it and lemme know if there's anything you want.

Bri.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

It could be s. 'Goldiana' with the twisted leaf. 'Lillian True can be taller and straight. Bri, I will look at your trade list. Norma

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner