Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pookipichu

Tallest Sansevieria?

pookipichu
12 years ago

May someone tell me what the tallest Sansevieria is? I saw some plants in Las Vegas that look like snake plants and were 6 feet tall. I've yet to be able to find them for sale anywhere.

Comments (69)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Karen,

You are so right. When we talk to each other here we tend to get the feeling that we know each other. We don't and some people like Norma is a trusting kind. I feel like I know both of you but I don't. If she gets any takers I hope some one will be with Norma during their stay. Most all gardeners I have ever met turned out to be great people. But with today's world, just can't take a chance.

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Hello Karen,

The Sans. stuckyii in Hans' picture have leaves the size of a person and taller. I used to work at the succulent collection of Zurich, it was one of the many plants there that amazed me whenever I looked at them.

Regards,

Marlon Machado.

• hankeat
    12 years ago

The Sansevieria stuckyii in my photo are about 2 meters tall or perhaps taller.

• User
    12 years ago

Wow Hans,

Thanks for clarifying about their height, especially since they are twice as tall as I thought. I guess I was judging by the placard on the stand in front of the Exhibit. Here they put them (at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden) in a display like that about hip to waist high on me (I'm 5 ft. 3", 160 cm (I think)).

I'm amazed to see growth like that, so simple yet stunning too.

Hi Marlon,

How fortunate you must have been to work at such a facility in Zurich. I too would gave been fascinated, you must have learned a great deal!

• hankeat
    12 years ago

I've another photo of Sansevieria Stuckyii that I took in the botanical garden in Tenerife, Spain, where I stood beside them. I am 164 cm tall and they are much more taller than me. I hope the link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria stuckyii

• User
    12 years ago

It works fine. Just an amazing picture to see, wow, TFS!

12 years ago

Han Keat,
    Beautiful, very nice.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Wow what a wonderful family you guys have developed into, just came aboard today 1/8/12 and I've been browsing through the post and thought what a wonderful group of plant lovers who care for each other so well, so I'm hoping I can be grafted into this group somehow.
    I do have a question about Sans.
    Here it is, I've noticed that the sans I've seen that are tall, all live in deep pots is that usually the way it works, tall pots, tall growth.
    I also keep small pots with sans in a bright spot, in a shower room, no direct light but bright humid because of showers and they look very nice and dark green with golden edges.
    My Q. Are deep pots required to get the plant to grow larger stems?
    Thank you for every response.
    Greg

12 years ago

Greg, It can't hurt. But mine are in pots about 8" or so and are completely root bound. I know it's wrong but it is as it is. (as they say). They had nowhere to go but up.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, thanks again, I really appreciate your quick responses makes sense that they have no where to go but up, it just seems they grow taller in a deeper pot rather than a shallow one. I'll try a little experiment to see what gets more growth, tall pots or root bound pots.
    Greg

• pookipichu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is such a helpful thread and I want to keep on thanking everyone for the wealth of information on growing large Sansevieria. I'm going to add some acid to my water.

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Hello Greg,

The recipe for big plants is simple: give them good growing conditions (good well drained compost, good light, warmth, fertilizer), plenty of root space, and do not divide the plants when you repot. Each new growth will be bigger than the previous one.

Regards,

Marlon Machado

• hijole
    12 years ago

Marlon M. thank you, So what I'm understanding is the size of the pot is not as important as the soil condition right,Ok. And not dividing them is a good tip also I never knew that.
    So lets just say now I've divided a plant that is big already, what happens with the new growth at that point? do you just start all over and increase from there on?
    Thanks again.
    Greg

• hijole
    12 years ago

Marlon M. Wow!! Thank you for that abundance of knowledge I did enjoy it and appreciate it also. I have some work to do here and that is also enjoyable too. I relax so much working on my plants and have the time of my life in the garden.
    My grandson always knows where to fine me and he loves helping out. Marlon can I ask you how long you've been working with Sans. Your very knowledgeable I can tell, again thank you.
    Greg

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Hello Greg,

I have been growing succulent plants for over 20 years, including some Sansevieria. But it was only three years ago I got more interested in the genus and started to build a collection of the different species. So most of my plants are still juvenile, the only species I have which are full size are trifasciata, cylindrica and some of the smaller types (parva, trifasciata 'Hahnii', ballyi).

Below are some pictures of full grown Sansevieria cylindrica:

Besides being a plant lover, I am also a botanist working at a University here in Brazil.

Regards,

Marlon Machado.

• hijole
    12 years ago

NICE... Wow!!! I don't think I've even ever seen that type at all. They look like a round columes, very exotic if you ask me, I've been been to a lot of nursery's and don't remember seeing those anywhere. Marlon right when you think you've seen it all here comes the unexpected leaving you with this strange feeling like, Ive got to have it, and I've got to have it now!
    Congratulations to you on those babies Marlon I'm sure they are a conversation piece alright, and quite a temptation for others, where do you live you say? Lol...
    As Brenton Wood says, " Baby you got it"
    I'm speechless.
    Greg

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Hello Greg,

Sansevieria cylindrica is a species readily available in the US. Look for it, you will surely find a plant.

I live in Brazil, in the northeastern region, state of Bahia, city Feira de Santana.

Regards,

Marlon Machado.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Marlon one more Q. Please, are those leafs shaped round like spears or do they just appear that way in the picture? They look like LARGE asparagus and I mean that in a good way of course that's the only way I can describe it, like round columes. I will look for them and ask for them by name. Although I've been reading a lot on this site that the name on these Sans are as variable as the weather here in Calif. And that's drastic. So let's see what I come up with.
    Have a great day Marlon M.
    Greg.

• marlonmachado
    12 years ago

Hello Greg,

Yes, the leaves are quite rounded as they look. The name of this species is Sansevieria cylindrica, and the leaves are really cylindrical. Others here may help you to find a source for it.

Regards,

Marlon Machado

• Jae Senji
    12 years ago

Here's a Sansevieria Cylindrica I'm growing. It's 3' 4" tall (from the surface of the soil) and has only ever consisted of the two "leaves" pictured. It even flowered. One of my favorite plants.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

This is a fascinating topic. I enjoy all the posts and information. I hope this thread continues. Our local Home Depot has sold S. clylindrica (the tagged name) for a few years (I don't know about this year). I was tempted until I noticed they fanned outwards and space prohibits me from having any wide spreading plants. Still, I think they and all of the other tall growers are most interesting.....Maryl

• laura1
    12 years ago

Norma mentioned sans that were bred for rope. I grow Florida H-13. I can't seem to find much about it as far as height on the internet. The cutting i got was about 5 ft. but it will probably grow taller under ideal conditions. Mine are still young and will be planted in the landscape soon although I may keep one in a pot. They say it is relatively cold hardy.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I am lucky to have good friend like karen to look after me, Karen I actually have a gues suite set up, I enjoy company. None has never talen advantage of me, I let them know I don't cook, and they say their prayers so I won't cook. My grandmother was this way as well. If they do take advantage never again. I have had people from all over the world stay with me. Meena from India, 5 Japanese young men over night. Sever from the Philipines, and several from Thailand 5 from Germany, 5 from Israel.
    They were all a pleasure. Seferal from England and Itlay, All of my guest were curtious and fair to me. There were not expected to pay a penny, and didn't. Thank you is always welcome with a hug. The worse that happened were two pillows were stolen. It's my own club members that I have to watch. Marlon you would always be welcome here, John Trager would love to meet you. I am unable to travel at this time. So and live alone, I don't need a care taker at this time. I have an alert button for help around my neck, and the fire depart would be here under one minute. In exchange I give the quarts of ice cream, and I get hugs. KAren I love you, and was wordered to death should come into harm from the awful storm you had this past year. Regards to all. The most danger I get into is EBAy the dealers don't know their species or lack of there of. You can trust Marlon and his information he has been a big help to me. Norma

• pookipichu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some beautiful plants in this thread. I purchased a silver leafed sans two months ago and absolutely adore it. I don't know what species it is but I was quite taken with the moderately tall (4'+) leaves and interesting pale green color. I've read that sans grow very slowly but in the course of 2 weeks I've had one pup go from dirt to 18 inches in height which seems rather speedy to me.

I love my sans so much, I water it 2-3 times a month, I couldn't ask for a more carefree plant.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Pooki,

That last sentence says it all and succinctly, too!

12 years ago

Pooki,
    Can we see a photo of it. Does it have yellow edges in the leaves? or just solid light green/gray? I have one Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Laurentii' whose leaves grow fast like that but it turns a darker green in a few years. Never as dark as a regular Laurentii. Looks like several different sans in one pot.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I keep mine in small pots due to space, and don't care if mine get tall. Las Vegas changes their plant out every season. No they are not fake, never at Las Vegas. They outdo each other on fresh plants, flowers to keep up with the other Hotels. KAren I wear an alert medal around my neck, so if Im in trouble thhe police or fire dept. come instantly. Penny has called them out twice now and they broke doen the dooe to save me. I couldn't call fast enough to tell them it was a false alarm, she also sends my mail before I can correct it. She now can open the doors, and window screen, took the clolk off the wall, tells me critters are out side. She is getting smarter every day, and senses when someone doen't like cats and won't go near them. I found a skunk in the back yard last night she told me it was there. Just don't overwater the San. to get them to get tall, that will kill them, give them a bigger pot gradually, fresh mix that is fast draining with Orchid bark med. size, or oak leaves, at least 10 % the proper temperatures all year round. Marland thank you for reinforcing what I have been saying for year, you are a professional I hope they belive you. Norma Good Night all I spent the day selling at the Huntington so I must get some sleep will ge working their tomorrow all day. hugs, to all. Norma

• pookipichu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's silver gray without yellow edges. It starts off very pale, but some of the leaves have turned dark green. I've included a pic, you can see the newest leaf is very silvery green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snake Plant

12 years ago

Pooki,
    Very nice find you have there. It is very old maybe 10 years to be established that much. There are too many named verities to try to call it something but very nice seems to fit well.

Norma,
    How good to here from you. Staying busy at the Huntington. Good to keep busy. Since I retired, I have slow down tremendously.

Mike,
    My house is over a hundred years old. I know what it is to keep up with a large house. I would love to give up all the crap and live out like you do.

Stush

• dert17
    8 years ago

This is a post from marlonmachado

Another one from Ton Rulkens: an unidentified Sansevieria species from Cabo Delgado province in Mozambique:

His own comments: "Leaves are spoon-shaped with an erect growth habit
    and very tall - up to 185 cm !! Mostly 1 and sometimes 2 leaves per
    growth. Here with Obet Jose Baptista who measures 170 cm."

Regards,

Marlon Machado.

Marlon thank you for thi photo. I have a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurenti'. But I know that Sansevieria
    trifasciata 'Laurenti' is a not natural plant. I mean this plant does
    not grow in Africa. But Sansevieria Trifasciata grows in Africa.

I have found your photo in Internet. Mozambique. Is that a natural Sansevieria Trifasciata? Is Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurenti' a plant from this natural Sansevieria Trifasciata? Where can I buy this plant (I mean natural Sansevieria Trifasciata)? How can I buy this plant?

I'm not looking the tallest Sansevieria. I'd like to have natural Sansevieria Trifasciata who grow in Africa.

8 years ago

I have heard that S. tri. 'Laurenti' is a natural growing plant found in it's own place in Africa. There was a post about it once. I believe Roberto2 brought this subject up.

• dert17
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"I have heard that S. tri. 'Laurenti' is a natural growing plant found in it's own place in Africa."

Maybe you are right. I have found this link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/adaduitokla/6080735353/in/photostream/

Sansevieria trifasciata Prain var. Laurentii

Mom Che Puteh's Garden, Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia.

Sansevieria trifasciata Prain. Asparagaceae. Also placed in Agavaceae, Convallariaceae, Dracaenaceae, Liliaceae, Ruscaceae. CN: [Malay - Lidah jin, Lidah mertua], African bowstring-hemp, Konje-hemp, Mother-in-law's-tongue, Snakeplant. Native of Zaire, Nigeria. Ornamental and folk medicines. A study by NASA found that it is one of the best plants for improving indoor air quality by passively absorbing toxins such as nitrogen oxides and formaldehyde.

Synonym(s):
    Sansevieria laurentii De Wild. [Sansevieria trifasciata var. laurentii]

8 years ago

Here is a link to 'The Splendid Sansevieria' by Chahinian B.J.. It should be in there.

http://bookos.org/s/?q=sansevieria&e=1&t=0

Stush

I also have a hard copy of this book and his other book. Well worth the look.

• dert17
    8 years ago

Thank you for this book. I also have found this book. I will write it. But I will read slowly, because I don't know English very well.

• dert17
    8 years ago

I have found information about Laurent in Chahinian B.J.'s book.

Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" originally described as a botanical variety which it is not, as the literature indicates that the specimen brought back was from a group of plants growing in cultivation and of field provenance.

Ok, So Chahinian B.J. thinks that Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" = Sansevierisa trifasciata (If I understand it correctly). It's very strange for me, I can not believe it.

• dert17
    8 years ago

And I have a question. Chahinian B.J. wrote that

Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" originally described as a
    botanical variety which it is not, as the literature indicates that the
    specimen brought back was from a group of plants growing in cultivation
    and of field provenance

But Can Sansevierisa trifasciata become Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" in nature? I mean we have some Sansevierisa trifasciatas in nature (for example, Africa), Can these natural Sansevierisa trifasciats become a Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" in nature(without people)? How often it occurs? Why do it occur (Why is this happening)? What is the difference between these two plants? (excluding the yellow strip)

If "yes' (Sansevierisa trifasciats can become a Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii" in nature without people and this sometimes occurs ) I agree that Sansevierisa trifasciata=Sansevierisa trifasciata "Laurentii", If "not" (answer) I don't agree with Chahinian B.J.

• dert17
    8 years ago

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Here is a link to 'The Splendid Sansevieria' by Chahinian B.J.. It should be in there.

http://bookos.org/s/?q=sansevieria&e=1&t=0

Stush

I also have a hard copy of this book and his other book. Well worth the look.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6, Thank you again for this book. I'm reading it and some facts are interesting. For example, this:

"Extra-floral nectar is the secretion like dew, that can be seen at the button of the flowers in almost all sansevierias. Sometimes it also appears under the leaves of new growths off a stolon, where the aerial roots start to show. This nectar is deemed to attract ants, thus deterring other noxious insects that could damage the flower parts and interfere with pollination".

• dert17
    8 years ago

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

I
    have heard that S. tri. 'Laurenti' is a natural growing plant found in
    it's own place in Africa. There was a post about it once. I believe
    Roberto2 brought this subject up

-------

I have found this information: "The most common cultivar is 'Laurentii,' which is a tall plant (to five
    feet) with yellow-edged leaves. A few people claim that 'Laurentii'
    occurs in the wild (Sansevieria trifasciata is native to west Africa, Wikipedia says, though the growers' guide says Sansevieria the genus is found in Africa and Asia. Aggravatingly non-specific about S. trifasciata,
    but I think because of this we have to allow the possibility that it
    could be from somewhere else, or maybe more than one place); this seems
    unlikely to me, because it seems like it would be disadvantaged (less
    green photosynthetic area, so less energy, and leaf sections, if they
    sprout, revert to the nonvariegated plant: we'll get to why and how this
    works much, much later), but it's not impossible, I suppose
    ".

Sourse: http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.nl/2008/02/teacher-sansevieria-trifasciata-part-i.html

Let imagine that Laurentii is native plant.

Let imagine that we will have mutation and we will have "green" Laurenti. I mean we will have S. trifasciata.

I think that S. trifasciata will be stronger than Laurentii and I do not understand how this plant (Laurentii) can survive (compete) with total green
    S. trifasciata.

I think that Laurentii will disappears very quickly
    because S. trifasciata will be stronger (S. trifasciata has more photosynthetic area, so more energy).

If Laurentii is a native plant how can this plant survive in nature?

• GreenLarry
    8 years ago

Oh I love to see our house plants as they appear in their natural habitat!

• dert17
    8 years ago

Larry, I agree with you. It's not easy to live for our house plants in natue.

But sometimes they can. Of course, only the natural kinds (not varigated plants).

This is very interesting photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25747229@N00/2594003909/

Australian people had S. trifasciata in thier homes. Maybe it was S. trifasciata or S. trifasciata var. Laurentii. And now these plants live in nature (Australia).

If it was S. trifasciata var. Laurentii We can tell about reversion. We wrote about reversion for Spider Plant here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3349927/_trid=cmhhbWVsdGVlbmdhcmRlbmVyMTg4ODtnZmFkZzIwMTZAeWFuZGV4LnJ1/why-did-spider-plant-boonie-become-green-spider-plant

Maybe we had reversion in Austalia too. I mean maybe these people grew S. trifasciata var. Laurentii and S. trifasciata var. Laurentii become (turn) to S. trifasciata and S. trifasciata live in Australia now (in nature). Of course S. trifasciata is a natural plant.

But I don't sure than S. trifasciata var. Laurentii can live in Australia and compete with S. trifasciata (in nature).

It's interesting for me to see that some S. trifasciata here are not straight. Why do they decline (not straight, bend) in nature (some of them)? They have a lot of light.

• GreenLarry
    8 years ago

I've yet to have a Sans, maybe one day...

8 years ago

Dert,

Looking very closely to your photos, they look like Sansevieria hyacinthoides (guineensis). Don't see the banding like trifasciata has. Also they don't have a cult. that has yellow edges. I believe man had to step in somewhere and separate them early on. Leaving Laurentii to grow on by itself. I never had one to revert but I do have a Hahnii Marginated with two green pups. No yellow what so ever. I plan to cut them off. First time for this also.

• dert17
    8 years ago

Stush,

Let see on this picture again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25747229@N00/2594003909/

Maybe this is a Sansevieria hyacinthoides (guineensis). I don't know.

But do you see that some these plants have yellow color (on the border? I can edit this photo for this forum but this photo "All rights reserved"

And I have no right to edit this photo and insert photo here.

But I see one plant (bottom left) with yellow color (on the border) + something red (grey, etc). I see also some plants with yellow color (on borders). Maybe this is Sansevieria hyacinthoides, but S. trifasciata var. Laurentii also has yellow border. S. trifasciata var. Laurentii is a S. trifasciata + yellow color (borders).

It's interesting for me to know why do we have it?

It's interesting why do we have these yellow borders, yellow spots. I mean some plants on photo are total green and some plants have yellow border, yellow spots, red spots, etc.

Maybe total green plants are healthy. It's interesting can these yellow borders or yellow spots be disease because they do not provide any benefits to the plants (maybe I'm wrong and they can give some benefits). I see also red spots in the picture (+ other colors). It's interesting can these things be a disease?

If these things are not disease What benefits they can give to plants? (These red, yellow, grey, brown etc colors) (what advantage they can give?)

And if it is a disease, can yellow areas S. trifasciata be disease too? I mean maybe S. trifasciata var. Larentii is a disease S. trifasciata? I don't know this. This is just my guess. I can be wrong.

• dert17
    8 years ago

For example, I have fount this:

"Incidentally, there is another phenonemon which can also cause a
    'spotty' leaf, which is where some of the chloroplasts become infected
    with a virus. This can sometimes, but not always, be diagnosed by
    distortion of the leaf surface, caused by the virus. It is important to
    know whether the variegation is viral in origin rather than
    mutational,as in this case it will be infectious and has the potential
    to infect, and weaken' 'normal' plants. Perhaps the most familiar
    example of a viral variegation is in Abutilon megapotamicum
    'Variegatum'. If this is grown alongside green abutilons, it is often
    found that the latter will become variegated. Another example, again in
    petal pigments rather than chlorophyll, are streak-petalled tulips,
    which are also caused by viruses. It is perhaps ironic that these
    diseased individuals, which were traded for huge sums of money in the
    17th century, were probably doomed to early demise!"

Sourse: http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Northumberland/+January+/520

8 years ago

I'm sorry. I can't see any yellow. I see dead light brown to yellow leaves but no variegation at all. Tried to copy so I could enlarge it an get a better study of it but was unable to.

I put together a post a long time ago called what causes variegation and did not mean about the inner leaf structure but the cause of it. The sun can and maybe a sun spot or other natural occurrence might have happened. Wild animals could have smashed thru the stands and cut up and possibly cause a mutation (doubtful). A lighting strike (which caused a mutation on a Blue Rug Juniper). We know radiation causes most mutations so maybe a uranium deposit? More than I can answer here.

Stush

• dert17
    8 years ago

Ok, I will try to save and edit this photo tomorrow (need time for this). I will try to explain my idea better. Of course, I could be wrong.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

It is also a virus that is responsible for the mutation of the egg color genes of some chickens and that's how we get blue and green eggs.

It was a virus that affected the change in the genetic coding and now, it works a lot like a co-dominant gene (the blue color). It's much more complicated than this but it's something else you may be interested in looking into.

Btw, why couldn't laurentii in the wild be attributted to seed started plants? All kinds of things can go wrong during reproduction and germination, as far as the chromosomes are concerned.

8 years ago

True, but I found that in hosta anyway, seeds don't carry on the variegation to the next offspring. All my hosta seedlings are yellow to light green to dark green. I have never got a variegated plant from seed. It does happen. I never did. Also many of the seed cases were striped white which was to mean variegation in the offspring. Not in my case.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I'd imagine if you got a variegate from seed, it would be more genetically stable, right? I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to isolate genes the way you do when breeding chickens or rabbits. Many more variables.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH