Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1_gw

Finally gave in ...

val1
11 years ago

and brought one home from Home Depot. I have been looking at this forum from time to time and finally purchased a Sans for myself. I fell in love with the silvery color. The longest leaf is 36" from the top of the pot. I would love an ID if anyone has any ideas. I also need information on repotting and a soil mixture. I would love to pot in Al's gritty mix but I am having trouble finding the ingredients. What other mixes would be acceptable? I know that they are considered low light plants but can it be placed in a south window?

Comments (11)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

val1,
    Welcome to the addiction! Before you know it, you'll be surrounded. :D

Your Sans looks like Sansevieria trifasciata 'Moonshine' to me, BUT, I've never seen one that tall so I'm going to wait for someone else to confirm/deny my ID (Not to say 'Moonshine' doesn't/can't get that tall, I've just never seen one more than two feet tall).

As to placing it "in" a south window, I'd advise against that as it will burn. If you place it a few feet away (no direct sun, especially in summer),that would be fine IMO. I have a handful of Sans about four feet away from a south and they're growing like weeds.

As to Al's gritty mix, I'll let someone else respond to that. I use a mix I purchased online that I find works for me so I've never looked for the ingredients to be able to tell you what you could substitute.

Planto

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Planto,

I am already addicted to Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus, so I fear a new addition. But I love house plants as they keep me sane during the winter months.

When I first saw it I thought it might be "Moonshine" but was confused by the banding. After browsing the web this afternoon, I think it might be "Grey Lady" or "Silver Queen".

I can move it around and see if I can find a spot with less sun. Thanks so much for your input.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

It could be a Moonshine darkening w/ age. Maybe too they can have banding, I'm not sure how absolute these things are.

As to mix, I find Sans, aren't fussy as long as the mix is fast draining & has no peat. A commercial C&S mix w/ 40% or so added perlite to it should be fine.

Nice plants & good find, whatever their formal name.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Val1,
    Welcome to Sans. You are right that this is a "Grey Lady" or "Silver Queen". Moonshine is too small growing and has wider leaves. Your plant looks beautiful. Watch for brown spots. I think they come from cold or too much sun. I almost lost one of my Moonshine due to this. It comes about when the plant is stressed or something. Cinnamon helps. Mostly looks unsightly.
    Every one seems to have their own mix. I would love to use pumice but not in my area to buy so I found that Orchid mix with perlite with some gravel rock works fine for me. I used clay soil and regular potting soil for many years with slow results before I knew better.

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen & Stush -- Thanks for the information. I will try to find a new pot for it this week since it seems to want to tip over in this one. I have pumice and perlite on hand and have used it in my soils for other plants. I will pick up some orchid mix or cactus mix when I look for the pot.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The tag usually has the name of the grower, if it came from a BBS, although the two main ones I know (Costa farms and Exotic Angel) don't show any pics of a Sans like yours. You can try googling the UPC code also.

The brown spots in the above pic look like possible mechanical damage to me. Thoughts?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Purple,
    The brown spots I was talking about was on my plant. That one looks great to me. The light green types are more venerable to these brown curses spots. They love excellent growing conditions to look this good.
    Stush

• Michaela
    11 years ago

I believe your Sansevieria is S. trifasciata 'Silver Queen'. It is not a Hahnii or a Futura both of which are quite a bit smaller. Your plant should do fine in the potting mix it came with. All you will need to do is depot it every once in a while and thin it out. Ha!

The new leaves start out silvery in color but as they age they turn a fairly 'ho-hum' medium green. These would be the ones I would discard (i.e. keep the silver ones). A south window in the winter is just fine. If your house is particularly dry in the winter you will want to water it every 3 weeks or so, or especially if you detect any curling of leaf edges. I will post here a picture of 'Silver Queen' standing next to a pot full of S. t. 'Compacta'for comparison. You have a nice plant there!

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I purchased the plant at Home Depot. The tag states it is "sansevieria assorted" grown by Delray Plants. I went to their website and they only have Sansevieria Laurentii listed. I also searched the Home Depot Garden Club using the plant code on the hang tag (HDA0529). No success in finding the plant. I do believe it is "Silver Queen".

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

It sure is pretty, no matter what you call it! I haven't been to a HD in about 8 years. Just too far away. Hate when the plants from anywhere are such a mystery though. Imagine if stores sold cars that we weren't exactly sure what they are... Hahaha!

Stush, thanks, I got confused I guess.

• Cindy Guy Bellwood
    5 years ago

Sansevieria Silver Queen! Yours is gorgeous!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH