Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Name That Sans

stonesriver
12 years ago

I am new to Sans (I'm an African violet/Streptocarpus kinda gal) but couldn't resist this one at Wal-Mart for $9.00! No yellow; just dark and light green with dark green edge.

Thanks for any help.

Linda

{{gwi:1259327}}

{{gwi:1259329}}

Comments (12)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Linda,
    Welcome aboard. Nice to have a new member.
    What you have is Sansevieria Trifasciata. It is the most common type Snake Plant, AKA 'Mother in Law Tongue' and probably more. This is the first sans that I owed. Watch out, it is so addicted that you will sell all you have to buy more. Leave you spouse, house , kids whatever to feed this addition. Ha Ha. I still love this plant. Never tire of it. I now own about 10 different ones now. Some here have a lot of the 70 or more other species of Sans.

{{gwi:105797}}
    click a picture and view my album free.

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Stush. I kinda knew it was Sansevieria Trifasciata; but which one? The subtle differences escape me. African violets I can tell; sans? Not so much.

Again, thanks. Like my AVs, Streptocarpus and self-heading philodendron.... it started with one plant..... :-)

Linda

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Linda hi.Its the orginal species. Stuch correct me if I'm wrong, and I think you may have more then most people on this forum. I have several sports of this species please explain sports to this new member. Norma

12 years ago

Norma,
    I'll do my best. Sports are found growing in large old clumps of a know species. In this case Sans. trifasciata. It is when an offshoot pups out different than the parent. The first that I know is Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii' in 1941. It is know as the birdnest, because of its small structure compared to the standard trifasciata. The next big introduction was S. trifasciata 'Nelsonii' in 1944, then S. trifasciata 'Bantel's Sensation' 1948, 'Silver Hahnii', 'Golden Seam Hahnii', 'Golden Hahnii' all patents in 1953. All this and in only one of more than 70 species of Sanseveria.
    With the new rave and hi prices paid for different variegations, some nurseries are doing some shady tricks to induce sports that usually revert back to the original. Some take, some don't. Buyer beware.
    Norma is the real pro here. How did I do?
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Stush,

Don't know that we have ANY real pros here, Norma being one of the knowledgeable & most generous w/ that knowledge.

Several others drop but from time to time, are VERY quick to judge, not too quick to share credentials or back up their sometimes over-broad & quite generalized statements.

12 years ago

Good to hear from you again Karen. Hope all is well. I seen some of your post in other forums.

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. I am glad for this forum; now I know where to turn with questions.

So mine is the one from which others sported? I am glad to know. I had several forty years ago but left them behind when I moved from Kentucky to Tennessee. I had forgotten how much I like them.

Linda

12 years ago

Linda,
    Something else you need to know about sports. Almost all of them are not equal to the original. They are chosen for their appeal to us. They are weaker and more difficult to grow. But I do like them.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Stones (Linda),

The name thing may be a losing battle. I'm so tired of the name battles that I barely even try for names anymore on my Sans., most of which I get no ID.

Names of these are an ever-changing thing, some of which prompts strong disagreement, so I pretty much opt out of that whole discussion. I'll share pix, growing tips, pups, almost anything re: Sans. these days, but not names. SOME folks can get surprisingly nasty in this context, so I mostly opt out of it.

One of these days, I really should take some pix of all my Sans. together. Gotta be at least 10 different types by now, if not more (not a yellow margin or stripe in the group, I HATE the yellow stripe).

Lots of Sans. to grow out there, no matter what their name. I rather like this one Linda, w/ its handsome green on green bands. Nice find & good luck!

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Karen:

My Lowe's had these and the dark-banded ones for $8.98 in, I think, either 1 or 3 gallon pots. I'm going back for the dark-banded one. Both varieties were over 30". Maybe a Lowe's near you has the same?

I know what you mean about named varieties and controversy. The AV community sometimes gets in an uproar over chimera. To me, they're just pretty...just like the sans...and they can be named "Barney." :-)

Stush: In AVs, sports aren't necessarily weaker or harder to grow but can revert; especially blooms of fantasy and chimera.

Thanks to all for your information.

Happy Holidays, Everyone,

Linda

12 years ago

Linda,
    Please be advised that I am no expert but love and grew sans for over 40 years. In that time I have learned more in the past 6 months here on this forum. I have been advised to inform all that when I throw a name out there it is only my best guess to help you. I could be wrong and not actually seeing or touching your plant or where it originated from a proper ID is only a guess. Still I will give my upmost to help anybody out here.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Karen is so right, no experts, each of us know something regarding these plants, none of us know it all, I am just trying to keep up with the name changes, and toss out the phoney names, I do read the San. Journal, that is how I keep up. I am on every Sans. forum that I can find. If any one tells you they can ID a plant by a picture or just a leaf, or """ be suspicious the experts can't do that and says" if you think you can do that then you are a fool,. I have most of the species that are listed in the N.E. Brown monograph. But that does mean I can name them from a picture. I can tell you where not to buy, I can tell you who in my estimation who is the most realiable. We are all learning here, and welcome you for joining us.