Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria Flowers?

Posted by yardenman z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 20, 09 at 16:19

I've been growing Sansevieria trifasciata (I think) for about 20 years. Suddenly, one seems to be sending out some flower stalks! Did I suddenly do something right about the light and water and fertilizer, or is it about to die like some cacti do when they flower?

I've never seen this happen before. In fact, it never occurred to me that sansevierias flowered.

[img]http://h1.ripway.com/cavebear/DSCF0004.JPG[/img]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria Flowers?

Well, I tried a half dozen ways to actively display the picture, and none of them worked. Sorry.

o

Hi,

no, your plant is not about to die. The actual growths which flower will not grow any further, but send 'pups' which actually the normal way to grow for a Sans.

And, just add the link in the URL field, nothing more.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture link added

o

The old growth will not add any leaves after it flowers, but off set and grows in that manner. You can finally remove the old growth trim it up put it into a fresh pot and soil it will turn into a teen-ager again, remove most of the outside leaves on the old growth. Wait until the pot fills up and do it again when needed. If you do this process about every three years or less. You can always have it grow up to a old age. Remember some species only have one leaf growth per plant and others 20 more or less, depending on the species. I also suggest you wait until Spring hits your area. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here