Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana3_gw

soft leaves

diana3
16 years ago

I inheredted a common variety healthy san from an elderly aunt. Now 2 years later the leaves are thin and not plush, limp, and almost soft. Several of the leaves are 2 ft tall and flop over. I get plenty of new shoots but some die quickly. The leaves are dark green with no yellow or splitting. I replotted recently, allow it to dry out completely before watering, and give it mod sun. Whats wrong?

Comments (7)

• Michaela
    16 years ago

It sounds like you have just been overwatering it. Hopefully your pot has a drainage hole in the bottom. Take plant out of pot, spread soil and let it dry out, then repot. Water maybe once every 3 weeks. They require very little water.

• amany
    16 years ago

I agree about the watering. I don't know if it was the best thing to do but, when I had my first sans, I didn't water in December or January. It pushed out about 3 new shoots the following February.

I have a sans right now that until the other day hadn't been watered in maybe four weeks. Anyway, even though it had no water, it's been doing a lot of below surface growing and is pushing out a new shoot. It's growing in a clear plastic container so I am able to actually see what's going on.

Even though you're allowing the soil to dry completely before you water, you can wait even longer. Weeks longer. I think sansevierias prefer a hands-off approach when it comes to their care. :-)

• User
    16 years ago

Amany said it well!

Sans. just about thrive when given little to no care, it seems to be what they like best.

Also, they like tight pots, hopefully when you repotted it, you didn't move it to a larger pot (which would also make it more prone to rot).

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

They do like to be in a tight pot, but if it cracks open that is giving you a clue. We don't increase the size of the pot, we remove some of the thyizomes, to make it fit back into the same size new pot. Give it fresh soil and water in. Whe you do water in the spring do it thoroughly, and fertilize. I use liquidnox Grow in the summer. Or Bayer Rose food. They do not like to be starved. Keep water off the leaves. Summer or winter, the leaves can get frost burns, or sun burns in the summer. Norma

• diana3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help.
    I don't see any root rot but shriveled, soft, or curled leaves. I have several new shoots and they too are curled or shriveled. I repotted but didn't water. I keep feeling like they need water. I have them under plant lights right now. The color is a nice green and the leaves aren't split.
    Any further advice?

• blutarski
    16 years ago

norma, you do suggest watering in when you repot? I've heard contradictory advice.

• User
    16 years ago

Well I'm curious what she'll say, but am guessing she'll say no, don't water succulents in when repotting.

If she says yes, she likely to qualify it w/ the fact that she lives in very hot, very dry part of Calif, which is not comparable to other folks' growing conditions.

(It happens, Blut, I know her personally & have been to her home.)

Hiya Norma!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH