Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

I'm back w/ my suspected Bantel's Sensation

pirate_girl
11 years ago

I was told this cutting was from Puerto Rico. Odd how its growth seems to be opening its arms, for lack of a better way to say this.

I like this variegation very much.

I especially like the stripes on that leaf on the left above.

So pretty!

I've yet to see new growth in the few months I've had this, curious what it'll look like.

{{gwi:1259491}}

the leaf I love.

Comments (13)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

PG,
    I do find the growth on your Sans interesting. It does look like a 'Bantel's Sensation' aside from the odd growth habit. I'm interested in seeing what it's new growth looks like and seeing if it maintains that shape over time.

Planto

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

That center stem is weird. Really different. That was the first thing I noticed but it could have been caused by the center being damaged, but this may cause a good mutation just watch and see. Norma

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hiya Norma,

Yes, Weird indeed, we'll see what happens, I'll post updates.

Digressing here, but a special note for you:

Just a quick pic to show you (in case you hadn't seen the others). Have you seen my adorable tiny Sans. which grew from an abandoned & long forgotten Rhizome (found in August).

This is a current pic

I absolutely LOVE them & remember you fondly when I look at 'em ;>) Hugs to you dear & a Happy & Healthy New Year too.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Pirate Girl,
    Your plant looks to be a S. trifasciata 'Craigii' to me. It is definitely not Bantel's Sensation'. Bantels shows all leaves different, and the leaves are much narrower than most trifasciatas. Bantels Sensation is a beautiful variety, and I post a picture of it here below.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Mike, I agree that it is not Bantal's Sensation. But I was thinking more along the lines of Siam Silver which they include in trifasciata, but I think it is in the order of Guineensis. Leaves appearing only as two or three per node, suggesting a possible affinity to S. guineensis. Which explains the stolen growth in the center to produce up to 3 more leaves. I have the same happing to me on my Siam Silver.

Karen,
    I still have you down for a Bentel's Sensation this spring if you want it. Remember I bought a pot full for only a few dollars?
    I have 6 to give out for any who wants them for postage only.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Guys, who knows, it was an informal ID at best.

Hi Michaela,

What you're showing as Bantel's S has much more green on it than any I've ever seen, very surprising (& as far as aesthetics go), not what I'd want as my particular thrill in these is the largely white variegation & striping.

Hi Stush,

You're a dear, thanks for the reminder, would it be too greedy of me to want TWO of them (for postage for sure)? Guess I'm hedging my bets in advance ;>). This appears to be a favorite of mine that I haven't really had. Probably April would be a good time to consider mailing assuming Spring temps.

Of course, if my Golden hahnii should pup, that'll have your name on it.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Stush,

If you have extras, I would like to adopt some of your Bantels next spring. Maybe I can come up with something to trade for them. Barb

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Stush,
    From what I can tell from Pirate Girl's pictures, her plant is a trifasciata. It sometimes happens, particularly when a particular growth is 'happy' and maybe even with some age, that it will throw up a new growth from the center. This new growth is actually an above ground rhizome complete with green leaf scales and ending in a flush of leaves. It can be severed and planted to form its own roots, but will never look as good as it would if it had come up from below the ground in the normal way as a 'pup' - at least in my experience. Speaking for meself I would hope that the plant will live to produce new pups in the normal way so the mother plant can be discarded. Har-har!

11 years ago

Karen, 2, Barb, 1. NO problem. also come warmer months I can send them 1st. class mail for about $3 total.
    Mike, Thanks. I was refering to a stolen as an above ground rhizone. Maybe I'm wrong about this? I remember you showing a Futura you have that did this to the extream.
    Also Mike, what do you know about those hahnii crest being sold. The look almost like Loops Pride?

Also I was just at Home Depot and saw large beautifully grown Silver Queen for under $10. How do they do this? All there large house plants were under $10. They had fully grown reg. trifasciata that were so much nicer than mine. They had smaller futura robusta that has some dark banding almost like 'EVE' but the older leaves looked plain. So it couldn't hold on to the lighter shades of green.
    Stush

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Exactly, Stush. I was looking for that plant picture I posted here several months ago of a Futura that had sprouted a stolon/rhizome within the center of the plant. I believe this is what Pirate Girl has.

The Hahnii 'Crest' is not Loop's Pride although 'Crest' may have mutated from 'Loop's Pride'. 'Crest has a narrow, very heavily keeled leaf that might be considered brittle. Crest is quite the leafy Hahnii and its leaves appear to all begin at a single central point. Like Loops Pride, the leaves are very dark green and are folded into the shape of a 'V'... at least a "U". This Hahnii is not crested in the botanical sense. Did I not send you one? I can post some pictures of it here if any want to see it.

Silver Queen is a BEAUTIFUL trifasciata, I think, as long as the leaves are young. However (darn these howevers!) it behaves just like Moonshine. When the leaves mature, they become a granny apple green with some gray banding. I meant to show the attached picture of a beautiful young 'Silver Queen' earlier, but will post it here now next to a trifasciata 'Compacta' for comparison.

You asked how do they grow such nice full pots of plants for under $10. They are grown by the 10s of thousands in places like Costa Rica where labor is cheap and climate is perfect. They sock the water and fertilizer to them and the plants respond.

11 years ago

Mike, I do have Loops's Pride, thank you. And how do you come up with such nice grown plants above. Do you have a green house?
    Stush

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Thank you Stush for the compliment. I don't have a greenhouse. I bring my plants inside the house for the winter - as you know I live in Tennessee. As for pictures, I might take 4 or 5 of a plant, but only show the best. Potting mix is important. I take my cue from what all the commercial nurseries use in my area which is a peat-based mix heavily fortified (25-30%) with perlite for max drainage. Slow release fertilizer 14-14-14 is used liberally in the spring and late summer. I also water heavily in the summer with rain water I catch in a barrel. Plants are kept outside under open shade on a home-made plant stand with a translucent roof to moderate occasional heavy rains or even hail. I'm not saying this is the best way to raise Sansevierias in all locations; it is just what I do.

11 years ago

Thanks Mike,
    I will make a note on this come spring. I had the perfect spot but my wife put a bird feeder there and now too mesy to have plants below it.