Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsier

Sansevieria Flowering

elsier
20 years ago

My Sansevieria trifasciata bloomed in the summer. There had just been an article in the Louisville Courier Journal about people who had gotten their Sans to flower. When I told my mother this had happened for me too, she was impressed.

Last week, I noticed another pot is sending up another bloom. Now, I am amazed! Has this often happened to anyone else, or is it just a fluke? They are in a greenhouse which never goes below 50F in the winter.

Thanks,

Elsie

Comments (9)

• jhsnider
    20 years ago

My sanseviria just bloomed. In fact mine always seem to bloom. I am not sure what I do to make this happen but it gets to be a pain because the blossoms are very sticky and drip.

• elsier
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You are right Jim, they are very sticky. But the scent is wonderful.

Elsie

• Rosa
    20 years ago

My mom had one originally belonging to my grandmother. Spent the summers on the porch and then winters near a window in a pretty chilly room. Darn thing was so big and heavy it sat on a wheeled base in order to maneuver it around, lol. Bloomed its fool head off every year!! Was so big she gave it to the new owners when they sold the house rather than move it.

• nonthrower
    20 years ago

I have an old plant that has bloomed twice in about 3 yrs. Added a 4 season greenhouse this year and moved the plant to the new GH. Never gets below 60F. I think the blooming might be triggered by not watering for awhile and then watering.
    I have pictures of the blooms but not sure how to attach them to this message. They are sticky and drip a lot but are very pretty.
    nonthrower

• Rhubyred
    20 years ago

Mine has bloomed for the past 5 years. I don't water it from November thru February and keep it in a cool dimly lit room during the winter. When night time temps get above 50F it goes back outside on the front porch where it gets filtered light and water once a week or when dry. I've yet to fertilize it and keep it in it's pot until it breaks (which it seems to appreciate). My plant is now 4ft tall with a 5ft center spike. It's a killer to move around for the seasons but it's worth the extra muscle needed.

• elsier
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Rhubyred, your large Sans sounds very impressive.

Elsie

• wildirisrose
    17 years ago

My mother's is flowering right now! It's the first time either of us has seen one in bloom. It is very crowded in its pot and she had it out on her back porch in 90+ degree weather under a thin umbrella that filters the light. We will have to check it at night to see the blossoms & their honey!

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

I think age and heat are important factors for flowering.
    Norma

• elsier
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of mine bloomed last summer and a couple re-bloomed after I had brought them in for the winter. But this summer, only 2 have bloomed.
    After losing some branches during the winter, my back yard gets more light this year and has been hotter, so I guess it may be related to that.

Take care
    Elsie

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living