Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria Flowering

Posted by ElsieR z6 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 03 at 20:21

My Sansevieria trifasciata bloomed in the summer. There had just been an article in the Louisville Courier Journal about people who had gotten their Sans to flower. When I told my mother this had happened for me too, she was impressed.

Last week, I noticed another pot is sending up another bloom. Now, I am amazed! Has this often happened to anyone else, or is it just a fluke? They are in a greenhouse which never goes below 50F in the winter.

Thanks,
Elsie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria Flowering

My sanseviria just bloomed. In fact mine always seem to bloom. I am not sure what I do to make this happen but it gets to be a pain because the blossoms are very sticky and drip.

o

You are right Jim, they are very sticky. But the scent is wonderful.

Elsie

o

• Posted by Rosa 4 CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 6, 04 at 7:48

My mom had one originally belonging to my grandmother. Spent the summers on the porch and then winters near a window in a pretty chilly room. Darn thing was so big and heavy it sat on a wheeled base in order to maneuver it around, lol. Bloomed its fool head off every year!! Was so big she gave it to the new owners when they sold the house rather than move it.

o

I have an old plant that has bloomed twice in about 3 yrs. Added a 4 season greenhouse this year and moved the plant to the new GH. Never gets below 60F. I think the blooming might be triggered by not watering for awhile and then watering.
I have pictures of the blooms but not sure how to attach them to this message. They are sticky and drip a lot but are very pretty.
nonthrower

o

Mine has bloomed for the past 5 years. I don't water it from November thru February and keep it in a cool dimly lit room during the winter. When night time temps get above 50F it goes back outside on the front porch where it gets filtered light and water once a week or when dry. I've yet to fertilize it and keep it in it's pot until it breaks (which it seems to appreciate). My plant is now 4ft tall with a 5ft center spike. It's a killer to move around for the seasons but it's worth the extra muscle needed.

o

Rhubyred, your large Sans sounds very impressive.

Elsie

o

My mother's is flowering right now! It's the first time either of us has seen one in bloom. It is very crowded in its pot and she had it out on her back porch in 90+ degree weather under a thin umbrella that filters the light. We will have to check it at night to see the blossoms & their honey!

o

I think age and heat are important factors for flowering.
Norma

o

Most of mine bloomed last summer and a couple re-bloomed after I had brought them in for the winter. But this summer, only 2 have bloomed.
After losing some branches during the winter, my back yard gets more light this year and has been hotter, so I guess it may be related to that.

Take care
Elsie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here