Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Is this Sansevieria trifasciata 'Streaker' ?

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I just purchased this today at a local flea market and would like to know if this is Sansevieria trifasciata Hahnii 'Steaker' If not, what do you think it is? I put it in new soil already and noticed a pup forming. I'm excited!

Also, I wanted to share the Sansevieria trifasciata Hahnii 'Silver Marginata' to the right (I purchased that last weekend at the same flea market. I was amazed that my total cost for both was $4!

Planto

Comments (17)

• val1
    11 years ago

The sansevieria are beautiful and I absolutely love your table!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

val1,
    Hi again! Thanks for the compliment! I was just looking to see if I had a "big picture" of my plant stand that I could show you but I can't find one right now. I found the plant stand at Kirklands earlier this year on sale for $20 (one day only, it was marked down to $30 but that day only it was $20... regular priced $50!). I have quite the collection of plant stands it seems... to go with my collection of plants hehe. I just noticed three of my five plant stands are mosaic. Hmm.

Planto

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

It could well be, my streaker had gray centers, I gave it to the Huntington Gardens before I killed it. it does great there.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

That is definately 'Streaker' and both plants are great finds at a GREAT price!! What kind of flea market is this???! LOL! Sounds like there is another Sans person there. I love the looks of 'Streaker' and it is a pretty decent grower. Good find!!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woodnative,
    Woot! I was wondering the same thing as most times the things I've found at flea markets was well... nothing like his hehe.

It appeared to be a husband and wife that sold the plants (both older and they had alot of plants). I saw a variegated prickly pear, some sort of epiphyllum that blooms red (I'll go back and get that one day...), and a Euphorbia called 'Devil's Backbone,' all of which to me aren't all that common. The best part was the condition of the plants and the prices.

Planto

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey there Planto,

FYI: I believe that plant you've mentioned as 'Devil's Backbone' is a form of Euporbia also known as Pedilanthus. I don't know if its sap is toxic or irritating so pls. take proper cautions either glove, wash &/or read up on it further, just to be sure & err on the side of caution.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Karen, Good advice. I don't have problems with the sap and never gave it much thought until one day I wiped my eye. Wow, or holy cow. I thought my eye was going to come out. I flushed my eye out for over an hour before it finally felt a little better. After a few days it is good as ever. Next time I will wash my hands every time I play with them.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG,
    No worries, I used to have a 'Crown of Thorns' and I learned about their toxicity when researching. My Mother purchased the 'Devil's Backbone' but she also knows to be careful with it. Thanks for telling me though. :)

Stush,
    OUCH!

Planto

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Yeah Guys, ouch indeed Stush! One never knows when something like this can come up.

My Chiropractor recently recommended some Capsaicin creme (from the active ingredient of PEPPERS) to relieve some arthritic joint pain.

So late at night half asleep, I rubbed some on my hips, rolled over & went back to sleep. Do I need to mention that half asleep, w/out having wiped off my fingers I rubbed my eyes?

Yikes, I fully woke up w/ start, chastizing myself for being such an idiot as to rub a pepper-based ointment near my eyes. Burned a bit, fortunately was only around the skin & lids, not in my eyes directly; so lucky!

Think I need to keep some gloves w/ the tube of cream!! Live & learn!!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG,
    Hehe! For one of my old Jobs I had to get sprayed with O.C. spray so I can relate to you and Stush except for my eye burning experience was somewhat intentional. :/ I wouldn't do it again that's for sure!

Planto

• roberto2
    11 years ago

These are my 'Streaker':
    C:\Users\Roberto\Documents\streaker.JPG
    I bought them from a nursery in Australia (Quicksales.au)and paid 10 AU$ each. As You can see, they are all different, the only constant being a grey (not variegated!) central longitudinal stripe. Leaves are somewhat twisted , too. I suspect they eventually will turn back to normal hahnii.

• roberto2
    11 years ago

...and this one I received from Germany (ebay.de) :

C:\Users\Roberto\Documents\sans. Streaker.jpg

it looks as it were three varieties mixed into one plant (a real monster, indeed!), and, as You can see on the right side, it is offsetting true hahnii...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roberto,
    Mine looks more like the Sans in your second photo. I like the ones in your first photo. If I'm not mistaken, I found a number of pictures that looked like your first photo when I typed in 'Streaker' (I think the yellow variegation on ours is unusual). Thanks for sharing your photos.

Planto

• woodnative
    11 years ago

'Streaker' has been pretty stable for me. It originated from 'Silver Frost' which has more silver and is more variable. The one offset above (from roberto2) looks almost like 'Silver Frost'.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roberto,
    I forgot to mention that I saw another one just like mine that had an all green pup too. I wonder if every pup is green and stays green or if the pup develops variegated leaves eventually.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woodnative,
    Thanks for the response. I didn't know the name of the more green variety. Glad to know someone's has stayed stable. I'm happy either way as to what future pups look like, but it would be nice to have aylt least one variegated pup. I'll know soon enough as mine has a pup forming. I saw it while repotting.

Planto

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Look here at 5 different forms of 'streaker'. And, please, forget the names, the seller told me he is not an "expert"...

http://www.quicksales.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?cat=0amp;keyword=sansevieria&type5=&type4=&i=30&d=

...and if You don't like them, no problem! I am going to buy them all.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz