Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Sansevieria Shark

Caught in the act, Yoko acts as if she should be doing this. I take the pictures, she does cute, so that's settled. I'd be tempted to throw her to the coyotes if that was a show plant, but fortunately for both of us I don't have any of that kind of Sans.

{{gwi:618168}}

This Sans, S. 'Ed Eby' has put on a lot of growth in the last month. Here are the pups (after two years and more of just sitting there) in early November:

And here they are today - the little ones are taking advantage of that spot by tripling in size.

Comments (14)

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

The first picture which is excellent is 'Patens' with curved leaves. Renamed by Steven Janowsky it is a hybrid and found in the Crater. I thought 'KoKo' was a hybrid as well and found in the
    crater it has straight leaves. Looks like a S. pearsonii
    are you renaming this plant, I didn't know until know that that are one and the same. duh. Thanks for this information. San. Shark, which one is that? Norma

• woodnative
    13 years ago

That cat has sort of a glazed-over, crazy look in her eyes. I bet, if questioned later, she will not remember and deny any involvement in the gruesome act, LOL!
    Great pics!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wood Native,

She's a very bad kitten, carrying off Echeveria heads and hanks of yarn if I don't keep the cattle prod handy.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Pretty bizarre, that crazed look, I too thought cat was flying at first.

Good looking plant, those pups sure have grown. Curious, are you using any mix under those rocks, or just growing in rocks?

Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen,

That look is SOP with certain cats here. There's a very loose mix underneath there, and in the spring, I'll repot it and put it outside (in the semi-shade) to grow, when it's warm enough, of course.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Jeff how did you mangage to catch her in the air and get the picture, how old is that baby, she looks very young. No judgement yet! Norma

• rosenatti
    13 years ago

I can haz succulentz naow!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Jeff I thought you were talking about a new San. name? ? ?
    There may be one that has that name believe it or not, from Thailand. I will need to look that up. Perhaps 'Sharkskin' has any one heard of this before so I won't need to look it up ???????. Norma

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,

Pls. save your energy, I think he's just kidding about the cat.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Kid about the cat? Me? Heck, they don't need my help - they're 24/7 jokers already.

Norma, the Shark in the title is in reference to the cat. TTBOMK, there's no Sansevieria 'Shark' or S. 'Sharkskin', but it would be great if there were.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

People name ther pets weird things, I did't rule it out knowing you. She great, my new cat is a blessing, I really got lucky with her and is starting to even mind, she knows a few commands, does not come when called unless it's bedtime and she is cold, or when I call her for dinner, she does't beg, very well behaved, I sure lucked out on this one. She has been well socialized by her foster mother before she came to me. Norma

• paul_
    13 years ago

Screenplay .....

[Camera slowly zooms in as gentle relaxing music plays in the background ...] A lone unsuspecting Sansevieria basks in the luxuriant warm of the afternoon sun. Birds can be heard twittering in the distance.

[Cue "Jaws" theme music as the camera slowly pans out ...] SUDDENLY! The tranquility of the moment is shattered as -- from the depths -- a dreaded Yoko hurtles skyward to seize its prey in its gaping maw!

[Cut to black and fade in to sound of silence ...] An empty pot lies on its side on the floor. Scattered dirt and bits of greenery are all that remain ....

Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul,

That's some sweet writing there. As I was playing mousy with her this morning, I was singing the Jaws theme, but not at the top of my voice.

She actually hasn't knocked over pots or otherwise destroyed a plant's staging, but I keeps finding the heads of baby Echeverias and Graptopetalums in the salon. Do you think this might be a sign of a succulent frenzy?

I can haz succulent.

• paul_
    13 years ago

Glad ya liked the screenplay ;)

She's a cute lil devil. I could see my folks' tailless diluted tortie doing something similiar if given the chance.