Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jduren_gw

Sansevieria Cylindrica

jduren
10 years ago

I have three in one pot and over winter two new legs got too leggy and i need to do something with them. I have two new one's coming out and have increased the light so they don't become too leggy.

Anybody familiar and suggestions on pruning the legs? Thx Jack

Comments (47)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry Jack,

But could you pls. provide a pic? Since it's a S cylindrica, I can't understand how it can be leggy, what does that look like? Never heard of Sans. having 'legs' either.

Don't mean to give you a hard time, just can't imagine what you mean & I grow this plant.

Sorry, but have never heard of Sans. getting leggy, are you SURE that's what you've got? Again, a pic would really help; can't make suggestions without seeing it.

• jduren
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top two legs are too leggy. I had the plant at the back of the room and have now place in the window. The legs reach too far and fell over. Their too thin. Thx Jack

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Nice pic, thanks for putting it up. Just to get the lingo right. Each of those is a leaf, no legs in this story.

Sorry, but I don't think these are getting leggy. I just think that's how it grows. Cylindrica comes in several different types at least, could be this growth is the way it's supposed to grow (who knows).

I think it's a handsome plant, I don't perceive this as a problem & if this were my plant, I'd just leave it be. I wouldn't spoil its interesting shape by cutting off the longer growth.

I'm curious to see how others respond. I'd especially like to hear opinions from Norma &/or Hermine if they're out there.

Since you're new, both the women I mention have HUGE experience in growing Sans. of many different varieties.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I could be mistaken, but I'm going to agree with PG about thinking that's how this particular Sans grows. I've seen pictures online of ones that are huge and they have pretty long leaves. When the pot gets full, the plants start looking like a wild hairdo. I'm no expert, unlike Norma and Hermine, but just giving my two cents. :D

Planto

• jduren
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There too leggy. I know the plant, just not how to trim them off. As I mentioned they were too far from the light and grew leggy. They are supported by the window. I have two new leaves coming up and no point in leaving them at this point.Thx Jack

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I haven't heard of anbody trimming Sans.

Not that I recall, only removing dead or dying foliage, or separating divisions, but trimming / pruning Sans?

I don't believe there's any way to trim it other than removing a leaf? Did I misunderstand?

I happen to think it's beautiful as is, finding those extra long leaves particularly graceful.

• simplegreenguy
    10 years ago

I saw one in an antique shop that was about 15 to 20 feet from a east window A couple of the leaves grew to the window it was a neat sight, kind of alien out of this world look. It had been growing there for several years.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Jack,
    You could trip the leaves where you would like them. Seems a shame to do. Maybe you need a different validity that doesn't grow so tall. Maybe trade? If you decide to cut the leaf. Replant the top and it will produce roots and a new shoot.

• jduren
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will cut the leggy limbs today. Is there anyone who is very familiar with this type Sansevieria Cylindrica plant?

The nursery where I purchased the plant says mine is the only one that has survived that was sold last year. I'm sure part of the problem was too far and now maybe to close to the window. Thx Jack

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I am pretty familiar w/ these as I've said, they're at least a number of these, not just one type. Examples: some have channels in their leaves, some don't. Some have ridges in their leaves; I've rooted 2 leaves recently that are ridged Cylindricas.

But apparently you don't believe my answer.

It's perplexing that you seem so certain of the answers, but are asking here again.

I DO wish our known experts (mentioned above) would chime in, apparently, they're not around.

CMcHarris, if you're lurking, could you pls. weigh in on this? I'd appreciate your support.

Stush: What do you mean pls. saying is 'a different validity', do you mean another opinion?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    I am not Stush, but what I think he meant to say was a different variety, not "validity." His sentence states, "Maybe you need a different validity that doesn't grow so tall." I think his spell check wasn't working when he posted that. :P

Planto

10 years ago

Planto,
    Thanks, you are correct. My main spell checker (my head) doesn't work so good all the time.
    I have many leaves cut in half to reduce the shipping and they grow ok. I don't like to cut them but you can. It will produce a scar and turn brown at the tip. But you can't have it all. Now there are other varieties that don't grow so large but this plant of yours is not done growing yet. It gets bigger than what you showed. It also loves the sun.
    Check below at marlonmachado = Marlon Machado post. He lives in Brazil and grows them outside year round and from seed.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Stush,
    Haha, you're welcome. :)

Maybe it's just us (you, myself, PG), but I like the way it looks. Sometimes I think we have certain expectations from plants and I've learned myself that you can't put nature in a box. In nature, they look funny, half eaten, sun burnt, you name it... probably unattractive enough we wouldn't have purchased them in the store if they looked like that, but that's "normal." Just a thought.

Planto

• jduren
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm just trying to do the right thing here. Not trying to discredit anyone. Not my intent. The two legs are leggy. It was too far from light and needed more. The two legs which grew last winter are 3' long and thinner at base than at the end.

i now have two new legs which are thicker and stronger. Because of the closer movement to the window, it more or less scalded the side towards the window losing some of its green covering and looks spotty on the window side. But nevertheless the damage was done.

Back to the two legs in question...Leggy and one is turning brown(lose of fleshy coating) around 5" from the top on one leg. I propped these two legs up but difficult to get to the sink for a good rinsing. As far as I know cutting the two legs at the base should disapear in time i would think?...Jack

10 years ago

I believe it would. If it's not what you like, cut it. It will survive and you are the one that has to be happy.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Ok so my Sans Cylindrica has been in the same pot now for about 1 0r 2 years and has just finished blooming, does anyone know if there is a good time or bad time to repot & do they like to be in small pots or LARGE pots?

I'm in zone 9 in Calif.

Thanks,
    Greg

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I don't know that, but am GUESSING that in Calif, for repotting Sans maybe spring time?

Your Cylindrica bloomed & you didn't post pix for us Greg?

Could you pls. if you took any, as this is not something folks get to see very often. I was lucky enough to see it in person; an enormous Cylindrica blooming in someone's home in So. Cali; I followed the AMAZING fragrance, delicious smelling & beautiful!!

Anyway, belated congratulations on the blooming, hope you enjoyed it.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Pirate girl, Thank you.. and pictures will follow by tomorow being I'm away right now and the sun shine has already said good night in my neck of the woods, HOLLYWOOD that is Lol..

I'll post it hopefully by tomorow, the bloom took awhile to unfold but it finally made it out, I did'nt find it that spectacular but sometimes I miss the finer things. The plant itself is nice looking for sure and I wanted it to get longer, someone posted one on here that had very long prongs or leafs, that's how I want mine to get so I figured a bigger pot would give it more room to grow, Will shall see.

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

Pírate girl here it is as promised, the boom is spent but never the less, today she will be repotted into a bigger pot and she'll be alone this time in the pot or maybe add some burro tails.

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

Cylindrica Blooms :)

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Maybe a species definition by L.E. Newton will help here.

S. cylindrica Bojer (Hort. Maurit., 349, 1837). -Distribution: Angola, Zambia.

S. cylindrica var. cylindrica - D: Angola, Zambia. incl. S. angolensis Welwitsch ex Hooker (1856); incl. S. guineensis Weiner (1887) (nom. illeg.. Art. 53.1): incl. S. livingstoniae Rendle (1932).
    Acaulescent; rhizome 2.5-3.8 cm diameter; Leaves 3-4, distichous, erect, cylindrical or slightly laterally compressed, 60 - 150 cm, 2 - 3 cm thick, green or whitish-green, with dark green transverse bands, gradually narrowed to a 4.2-6.4 mm hard whitish acute tip, surface slightly rough: Inf 60-90 cm, simple, spike-like; raceme 38-75 cm, 5-6 Fl per cluster; Bra lanceolate or ovate-lanceolate, 4-10 mm; Ped 4-8.5 mm; Fl white or tinted, tube 1.7-2.5 cm, lobes 1.7-1.9 cm. -Cytology: 2n = 40 (Roy 1956), 92 (Sharma & Chaudhuri 1964), 102-104 (Darlington & Wylie 1955).

S. cylindrica var. patula N. E. Brown (BMI 1915 (5): 38, 1915). T: Angola (Anonymus s.n. [K]). -D: Angola.
    Differs from var. cylindrica: Leaves 3-6, diverging, recurved or spreading; Fl tube 1.15-1.9 cm, lobes 1.5-1.9 cm.

10 years ago

Greg & solar; Glad you guys are finally getting that much needed rain. We got another cold blast here. Hope it's our last. Greg, love your pictures, keep sending them.
    Stush

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

I grow this plant as well and am quite familiar with it. It looks like the leaves that you call leggy are coming more from the innards of the plant, rather than the outside. If that is the case and you trim them, please realize that they won't grow back into the nice points that they have now. You will simply have some stumps in the middle of your plant.

I agree with Karen, I think your plant looks beautiful the way it is. I haven't measured mine recently, but the last time I did, one had a 3' span and stood almost as tall.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nancy

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Greg,

Thx for the pix, even if slightly spent, I think the blooms so cool to see. Guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't see this often. Nicely done, thx for the show .

• hijole
    10 years ago

Jduren, I was thinking while looking at your long leggy plant, I wish mine looked like that, I guess the grass always looks better in the other pot, Lol...

So did you ever transplant it or did ya hold off?

Greg

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

I didn't know it was rare for a cylindrical to bloom. mine bloom every February like clockwork. I never did take any pictures of it, didn't know it was all that cool of a thing. Also I don't know how it turned out with the "leggy leaves" but on mine, when I cut off any leaves, then cut them in 2" long sections, stick them in a pot of potting soil, almost every one of them grows a new plant. You have to make sure that you keep the cuttings oriented in the same direction that you cut them off, so keep the tops pointed up and the bottoms pointed down, by the way. It takes forever for them to sprout the new plants, like three months or so.

• hijole
    10 years ago

sandy, thxz for sharing the propagating tip, I didnt know that, one of mine broke off while transplanting and Ic
    cut it up & threw it in the compost pile.
    That will never happen again thxz. Greg

10 years ago

Check down thru the post to find marlonmachado = Marlon Machado from Brazil. He grows them from his own seed. Showed pictures and all.
    For a house plant that is something. Nice going.
    Stush

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush, So that last staement provokes another Q. are these house plants or a mixture? I have mine outside and Im wanting to plant them in the ground once they take off real good another Q. do they like full sun or a mixture or bright light?

thxz Stan, I mean stush its funny but it seems funny calling u Stan when Ive been calling u stush since the start.

but u are Stan! Hey and Im getting ready to send u the plant really soon, just letting them grow up a bit.

Greg

• norma_crasulady2002
    10 years ago

There are several varieties which one please?
    Norma Lewis

10 years ago

Greg,
    A house plant for us is an outside plant for you. If you can grow 'Moonshine' out side all year, then you should not have any problems with Cylindrica. And once acclimated, it can take full sun better then most Sans.
    Norma,
    Are yours grown out side all year?
    Stush
    BTW Stush is polish for Stanley

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush is Stanley, got it! ok so mine our perfectly fine outside, now it's just a waiting game to watch them grow up as Marlon's in his picture, I hope they will reach that size and it's not just his climate that makes them get that size.

Norma, The Sanseveria Cylindrica, I wasn't aware of Dif. varieties I but then this post was on that type sorry. But what I gathered is that once they mature they can weather the heat. Q. matured as in a root system or their height?

Greg

• aquamac
    10 years ago

Sorry for m late response, but i believe that what you have there is S. humbertiana, and what you describe as leggy is it's normal growth.

• nil13
    10 years ago

Geez, I guess I should take more pics of my blooming cylindricas. Mine bloom like champs every year.

• hijole
    10 years ago

My Cylindrical with his new friends.

Greg

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    10 years ago

I believe that by "leggy," the OP meant too unruly to fit properly in the appointed spot. These plants can tip over and sometimes needs help balancing when grown indoors. It appears the leaves in question were coming from the center. I'm curious to know what Jack finally did and how everything worked out.

A Sansevieria Cylindrica Grows in Brooklyn -
    Mine grows in a fan shape with it's leaves falling pendulous from side to side. To provide visual height, it shares its pot with its cousin, Lengua de Chucha!

These are happy on my NY window sill. The Cylindrica is currently 50" across. When I brought it home three years ago it was 6" across, so we're doing something right. Nevertheless, very painstakingly slow growing.

My mother has these potted in her Caribbean garden and they grow ginormous and even crack their clay pots.

Greg, I love the undulations on the leaves of your Sansevieria. What variety is that one? Quiero una hoja!

All the best to all.

10 years ago

Closer view at the center.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Latinlady, Isn't that a Sans cylindrica plant? if not she sure does look like

Which plant are you inquiring about the mother in-laws tongue or the Sans. Cylindrica?

Greg

10 years ago

Hi, Greg -

I really wasn't inquiring about anything...Just chiming in on the original post and sharing my cylindrica with everyone.

Yes, that is a cylindrica. I believe it's the same as yours posted on Monday, just above. I really like the one you posted on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 17:55 - The one that flowered...The one with undulations along the body of the leaves. That plant is beautiful. What variety of cylindrica is that? If you have any baby offshoots, please consider sending me one in trade...I LOVE that one. You can check out my list of plants under my profile.

Both of my plants pictured are cousins within the Sansevieria family...Note the same striations in the green of the leaves in both plants. I planted them together to give the pot some height because, as you well know, the cylindrica leaves are so heavy and pendulous.

Happy gardening...See you in the dirt!!

• hijole
    10 years ago

LatinLady, Lol... I don't know what I was thinking I guess after reading post after post I thought I was responding to another one :)
    Those are some really healthy looking Sans. you have there what do you feed those guy's ?

I noticed you said earlyier on ANOTHER post that you live in NEW YORK CITY wow were miles away but so close on this web site. Well hope you have a fantastic weekend.

Greg

10 years ago

Funny thing about Sansevieria...I have never seen one killed for lack of care. They are so forgiving. My mother once left a pot filled with Sans just outside the basement door during the entire winter...They survived the cold! Granted, they were in a niche and weren't sitting in the snow, but they were outdoors...I don't have to tell you how low NYC temps can fall Dec, Jan & Feb.

A very successful succulent grower very highly recommended Tomato Plant Food to me for succulents...I have always fed them just that.

All my succulents receive a light dose of Tomato Plant Food in a monthly watering March through Sept. From my Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter Cactus to my Haworthias, Opuntias, Cereus, Echinopsis, Euphorbia, Huernia, Stapelia, Epiphyllum, Jades, Aloes, Sans...You name it...They all receive it.

If anything, I receive a lot of "How did you get these to grow so green?" comments.

A note to all posters: You guys all have the most marvelous green thumbs and a wonderful array of plants. Keep on nurturing those beauties...They are so obviously grateful and rewarding. Thank you for sharing.

• feathered_horse
    9 years ago

Little late, but I get what Jack means about the leaves getting leggy. Mine is cruelly on a desk in a North Facing room and the newest growth does grow and stretch thinly towards the window.

Personally also find it graceful and adds something to the plant, but they do bend heavily and I can understand why people can find them creepy to look at.

Don't recommend trimming though. You can nip off the tops to stop the growth but when it heals you have a very white "scar" it contrasts and stands out in a big way and draws attention to what you have done!

• hijole
    9 years ago

Ok so I'm being a little lazy today to read through the care instructions of this Sans plant the Cylindrica. Does it like full sun or partial sun 0r does it prefer bright light & shade?

Thanks for responding, Greg

9 years ago

Greg,
    These kind of Sansevieria are know as desert kind. So they can take direct sun, but with all things, a little at a time until it get used to the new surroundings. The flat leaf kind is know more of tropical kind.
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

Stush my man, Thank you sir, I knew you had the answer I was looking for & I appreciate it very much too.

I have been thinking about that agave and it is soon coming my friend I will be sending it shortly. How's the weather in your neck of the woods? For me today I'm dwelling in 100 degree temps but I'm staying indoors catching up on my indoor "HONEY DO LIST." On a nicer note the temp is expected to drop all the way down to 72 by next week. " I LOVE CALIFORNIA" It gets hot enough to kick start the growth pattern & then drops down as not to burn the new growth. :)

Greg

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Hijole,
    Your name caught my eye long ago, as did many others.
    We live in the high desert of CA where the 90s are a cooler day.
    Don't believe, "But it's a dry heat." Hot is hot. I do miss the
    wonderful weather of the South Bay.
    My cylindrica stay outside all summer much of the day in the shade.
    So easy to propagate. Cut off a few inches of one and stick it in the soil.
    It quickly will send out new growth. Doesn't require special treatment.
    The agave grow amazingly well with offsets sprouting often. It's the
    super sharp needle like tips that can pierce the thickest of gloves
    and pants that make one wonder why, why did I just have to have
    them. The wondering is accompanied by a special verbiage!
    Enjoy!
    LatinLady,
    Your Cylindrica is beautiful. I am so envious!
    Karen

This post was edited by Enterotoxigenic00 on Fri, May 16, 14 at 22:31

• hijole
    9 years ago

Karen, thanks for that advice, boy then these cylindricas can take some heat if your dwelling in the high desert, then mine are safe in the bright light and partial sun with no worries.
    Where abouts in the high desert are you Victorville, Barstow area or else where?
    So glad to hear they are easy to propagate since a while back I threw my leafs in the compost pile thinking that's all they were good for after I broke off a couple of them while repotting.

Nice to meet you on here Karen, Greg