Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hadrian_gw

Common names.

hadrian
14 years ago

Happy new year everyone!

The common names for Sansevierias are Snake Plant and Mother in law's tongue. Do those names refer to ALL Sansevierias or to just Trifasciata? I can see how Trifasciata (Hahniis and Laurentiis both)can be described as sharp tongued and some patterns (like on the leaves of Masoniana) may look like snakes. But the more I learn about Sans, the more I'm realizing that there is a huge phenotypic range for these plants. And, for the most part, i don't think that either Snake Plant or Mother in Law's Tongue really describe all the other species accurately. Lastly, i think both those common names have a negative connotation. It kind of bothers me that quite possibly my favorite succulent genus is portrayed so negatively to the general public. anway, i'm just ranting....

Brian.

Comments (16)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Only the ones that you mentioned as far as I know. 'Sword' and 'Bow String Hemp' Maybe as well. 'Snake Plant' was another name for them. Depends what book you look in. These are the two names that you mentioned are both species of Sansevieria. Good Question I never even thought about it. Norma

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

There are only a few others that that may apply, and I think my
    'Mother-in-Law tongue, some do have sharp tongues. I think I tend to be that way, with both son-in-laws which I consider jerks, and I am being very polite. Norma

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Norma!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Where do you live that they grow so fast. I get rhizomes coming out of the bottom of the pots, which they just split to get more room. Norma

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!! I had at one time a few years ago, the variegated plant sitting outside, somebody stole it off my porch. It was in a large enough pot I never seen the root system. But bless those that stole it, may their mother-in-law be a real blessing to them. If I get another plant, shuck, I gotta go buy one

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Some common names 'Spoon Leaf' = S. coccinea
    'Mason Congo' = Masoniana Both are species. You can't change the name of species but you can on cultivars.

cv. 'Wagnor's Gold' cv. 'Sun Rise' may be the same plant both are cultivars (offsets that were different and cultivated for that difference,) from S. trifasciata.

There are many more, and in different countries, if they don't know the name they will put one on.
    Every leaf or offset can have a different name in Thailand, all cultivators may have a different name. Many they get here and change the name. Many are the same plants that we have but they just name them differently for sales. You can then buy that same plant three different times each with a different name. The wrong name will not make it difference. Be leary of what you are buying and from whom, that is all I can say about this. ****Warning if you do buy from a foreign country you may not receive it, customs will take the plant out and send you a empty box. This is true and it has happened to me. This is information for you who haven't ordered from overseas before. Having a name on may get it through customs, if they realize it isn't a CITES 1 or 2 plant This especially includes Mexico no sneaking in cacti, and don't brag about it if you do. Heavy fine or worse.
    Norma

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey Norma,

i'm in LA. not all of my sans grow that fast, but most of the trifasciata forms do.

thanks for all the info. i don't think i will order from overseas. although the pictures i see from thailand make me salivate to no end.

Brian.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

A common names for these plants in Brazil, in tropical Rio (where I grew up) translates to:

Sword of St. George the Dragon Slayer,

How's that for useless trivia?

I remember seeing them growing lushly as part of the landscaping around bases of apartment buildings & some lobbies.

• penguinesque
    14 years ago

Here is a question about FAMILY classification: I have seen, in different sources, the Sans genus listed in Dracenacae, Agavacae, Liliacae and Ruscaceae, etc. With DNA studies being done on the birds, I know many species are being moved around for the final time (you can't argue with DNA). Is DNA research being done on sansevieria that will define and place them once and for all?

Terri

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terri: that's a great question. it can't be that difficult to perform those tests. regarding the Family name, please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Sans are currently being categoized under Ruscaceae.

Bri.

• tf.-drone
    14 years ago

Hmmm

KEW lists it under Asparagaceae.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Brian, you are welcome to come visit my Sansevieria,
    Torrow at 1:30 Hermine Stover will be presenting a program on San. at South Coast Botanical Gardens
    263 Crenshaw Blvd.
    Palos Verdes Peninsula I used Map Quest to get instruction on how to get there. www://mapquest.com/print
    I have two friends here to hear her program, one from Georgia, the other from Chigago, you would be welcome as well. Norma

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey Norma,

thanks for the invitation! will definitely take you up on visiting you and your incredible sans collection. but won't be able to make it to Stover's presentation. i have to work today :(

Bri.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

It is listed as Dracaenaceae by Dr. Newton In the Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants I will not argue this. Norma

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Hi Bri, wait I am expecting to get a few new ones, this Spring. How long have you been collecting? This past week I purchased two more, they are replacement plants. Thank goodness I do have names for you. S.t. hahni 'Golden Green' and S.t.hahni 'Dwarf Marginated' Norma

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Brian, you realize that if we didn't have the names and if people didn't want the names we would have nothing to discuss other then yes you fertilize and give water in the summer months. I notice this winter even when they are dry as a bone, they still don't want to be watered, the leaves just rot when I do. Only a few plants that can be switched to our climate, they persistantly stay to their African heritage. More species are flowering that never did so in the past. The are all maturing at once. I still haven't been able to get any to set seed. I keep them very dry this time of year and they need the water so the fruit can develope. Norma