Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sea Island Cotton seed

Posted by hotzcatz Hamakua, Hawaii (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 4:04

Aloha South Eastern Coastal Folks,

I'm looking for seeds for Sea Island Cotton. It was a premier cotton crop down in your area a long time ago. I heard that several years ago someone found some seeds for it in a museum exhibit and planted them and they grew.

I want to grow some cotton to spin into yarn and Sea Island is supposed to be the best cotton. I live on the island of Hawaii, so "Sea Island" also sounds like the type of cotton that should be grown, too.

Would anyone know where I could get some seeds for Sea Island cotton?

A hui hou,
Catz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Island Cotton seed

Aloha Catz!
I suggest you contact Bob Sherman at Middleton place Plantation in Charleston, SC. They grow and harvest the cotton and the seeds there. I know many cotton farmers, but no one grows that strain.
Maybe write him a letter?
Good luck!
Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Middleton Place Contact info

o

Thanks, Laurie!

I'll send him a note and see what happens. I'm starting to get the spot for the cotton cleared out so in a couple of weeks, there'll be space for it. There had been a stickery King sago palm that had been just huge so someone was willing to come take it away. Yay! Craig's List is so useful. That should be a good cotton spot and much more useful than a stickery plant.

I found a seed source online called "Tropilab", they claim to be selling seed from South America/Amazon although they are based out of Florida. Seed was ordered from there last week, so it may show up sometime soon. I also have some seeds from Southern Exposure that I got last year. Those were grown and they did produce nice cotton, but not as long of a staple as Sea Island White is supposed to have. This year Southern Exposure doesn't have the Sea Island White, but a hybrid of SIW & some sort of brown cotton.

The Sea Island White from Southern Exposure grew in the raised bed vegetable garden and pretty much took up half the garden so now I'm prepping a spot outside my vegetable spaces. Of the four plants that were grown from the Southern Exposure seed, there was quite a bit of diversity in the fiber. I don't know if that's typical of cotton?

Either it didn't grow true to the descriptions I've been hearing of Sea Island White or perhaps the descriptions are a bit off.

There are a few folks who spin yarn on the island looking to grow their own fiber, so if true seed can be sourced, there will be multiple folks growing it over here. I would think that would be helpful to have it growing in another location to keep the seedbank alive and well.

A hui hou!

o

I just checked ars-grin. There is one accession listed as Gossypium Barbadense.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1008285

o

Thanks fusion_power! I never even knew ars-grin existed! It's amazing! I've sent a request for the seeds, they seem to be going to mail them to me. Woot!

Hopefully these will be the official Sea Island White and I'll be able to spin some really nice cotton. There's some other spinner folks around here hoping for good cotton, too. The nice thing about cotton is that there's loads of seeds to share. If it is coffee, everyone wants to keep the seeds for themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here