Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting bulbs in SC

Posted by matoad z5 CO (malueckel@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 10:22

I am new to this area but wanted to have spring flowers in yard. Bought tulip and daffodill bulbs in the fall. The pkg said to refrigerate if I wouldn't have several weeks of cold weather which I won't. It is now early January. I decided to grow bulbs in large pots above ground- will that work? I am near Savannah so when could I plant them?
Thank you for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting bulbs in SC

You can try. I've never had any luck with bulbs that need chill hours. How long have they been in the fridge?

o

I didn't quite tell the whole story! I put bulbs in fridge in late Dec or early Jan so 4-5 weeks ago. When would the outside temps be safe for me to plant outside in pots? Thanks, Mary Ann

o

Mary Ann, your approach has fallen way short.

Daffodils are much more forgiving when it comes to chilling hours, but they must be planted in the fall -- such as by the middle of December.

Tulips that don't receive a cumulative 10 to 12 weeks of chilling (temps between 35 and 45 F) may sprout leaves after planting, but either no flower stem forms or the bud is stunted and extremely short (a condition called "blasting").

In the future, buy tulip bulbs in October, as soon as they are available. Put them in the refrigerator until at least Thanksgiving, but not later than Dec. 15.

Plant those tulip bulbs in early December, so the bulbs sprout roots in the chilly garden soil and they then sprout and bloom in March.

The "safe outdoor temps" you ask about are irrelevant. Both daffodils and tulips will sprout through chilly, non-frozen soil in winter (Jan, Feb, or March) as the bulbs grow naturally. Freezes and frosts do not affect bulbs that are planted in the ground or in soil in containers.

o

Thank you, Gusolie, very much! I will get it right next fall for sure. This time I put off buying the bulbs because I had no idea they had to be refrigerated and ended up way late.

Thanks again, Mary Ann

o

Mary Ann, you shouldn't have to refrigerate daffodils.

In your first post, you said you were in Savannah. Savannah, Georgia? If so, Thanksgiving is a good time to plant spring bulbs in that location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here