Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_annie

Larkspur, columbine, and forget-me-nots

Blooming_annie
19 years ago

Hey everyone. This warm weather has me very seasonally deluded and confused but motivated to take care of a few gardening chores one of which is to do some direct sowing and some winter-sowing. I threw out lots of larkspur seeds this fall and have lots of little plants coming up. The malvas I direct-sowed haven't germinated as well but I think they will. What I want to do today is find a place with some afternoon shade and sow columbine and forget-me-nots. I know with these things that any seedlings that go ahead and sprout will survive any frost we have ahead of us.

I'll direct sow heat-loving annuals like cosmos later when I know it is "safe" from nipping freezes.

What do y'all direct sow that doesn't get knocked back by some cold weather? And does anyone winter sow?

Comments (7)

• idixierose
    19 years ago

I planted some sweetpeas direct in a bed back in November. One night last week something ate every one of them. Awwww.
    Some wildflower seed mix I sowed right before Christmas is coming up. I've also winter sowed poppies.

• nandina
    19 years ago

Annie,
    I do a bit of winter sowing but annuals pop up so quickly in my cold frame that I wait until later. Guess I am more interested in seeding winter plants during the summer. I just love the winter gardens here.
    Right now I have a cold frame popping with an unnamed, blight free, delicious edible chestnut tree. Long story as to how I obtained the seed. I am very curious to see if it will survive in the Low Country. If anyone wants to try planting two of them, contact me. It takes two to tango. This is not a tree for manicured lawns or tight places. Would need deer protection for awhile. Grows about 20' tall and sends long limbs out on the ground if not limbed up. Grows well in Zones 5-7. Hopefully it will also be happy here. I would like to distribute these chestnuts to serious gardeners with extra room in their yards. DixieRose....you are already on the list to receive some.

• Blooming_annie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nandina, what winter plants do you sow in the summer and how? I've never done much of it bec I've never figured out the temp thing as in it seems like our summers are too hot for a lot of things to germinate. Any tips?

• nandina
    19 years ago

Annie,
    I sow the colorful swiss chards, mustards, japanese veggies...those types of cold weather loving plants...just before the August full moon. The trick is to have good air circulation around the pots. I sow into large clay pots, stand them on bricks in high shade and they sprout quickly. Then, transplant into large cell packs, hardened them off under high shade set in plant carriers again propped up on bricks for air circulation then begin moving them to a location with early morning sun. When they are looking healthy I place them in morning sun, afternoon shade and as the weather begins to cool plant them out. It works pretty well. I don't bother seeding pansies because they are so inexpensive to purchase.
    This method seems to work well for me.

• idixierose
    19 years ago

Nandina, say when and I'll come get that chestnut seedling. I'm going to start scouting around for a good place to plant it.

I've had good luck starting a number of perennial seeds in June. I set the flats on the bench in our shade house, where they get bright filtered sun. The early summer weather is warm, but not filthy hot, and the seedlings get a head start before July. I start the seeds in flats, then transplant into 3" pots. Some of my successful tries include columbine, chrysanthemums, shasta daisy, foxglove, hollyhock, rumex, chives, parsley, rosemary, marjoram, catnip, sweet william, & dianthus.

I've had good luck with starting snapdragon and petunia seeds in mid-August. They get off to a quick start in the warm weather and are big enough to plant in the garden in late October. Come spring, they are growing strong and full of blooms.

• Blooming_annie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks y'all. That is great info on a subject that has stumped me every summer!

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

Poppies! I direct sow the peony poppies in late fall/early winter. I have several seedlings which have survived many frosts and one night that got down to the teens.
    Theresa

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions