Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyb_gw

Pecan tree cultivars.....where to buy at

BradleyB
20 years ago

I am interested in planting a few (8 to 10)pecan trees in my yard. I have been doing a little research trying to decide which varieties would be the plant to plant in my area. I live in Northwest Mississippi just a few miles south of Memphis. I have come across several different suggestions, but the problem seems to be where to obtain the suggested cultivars. I have called just about all of the nurseries in the Memphis area and can seem to only find one with any pecan trees. The one that does have some pecan trees only has a total of 4 trees of one variety and the are all 7-8 ft. tall and run $69.99. The nurseries almost act like you are crazy when you call them up and ask about pecan trees. One or two other nurseries said they may be getting some in in February or March, but I feel like they may only have one or two varieties such as Desireable and Stuart, if and when they do get them in. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to obtain some of the newer varieties that will more scab resistant. I have gotten suggestions from the web sites of Mississippi State and Auburn Universities, but neither recommends Stuart or Desireable at all. For example, Auburn recommends varieties such as Jenkins, Syrup Mills, etc., but I have been unable to find any information on where to obtain them, except on the website. The website suggested Dellwood and Underwood Nurseries in Foley, AL, but after calling them, they said they were sold out. Does anyone have any better suggestions.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions