Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpater_gw

Winter Gardening

lpater
20 years ago

What do ya'll do around this time of year to prepare your beds for the coming year? What kind of gardening do you do in February?

Laurie

Comments (8)

• louisianagal
    20 years ago

Zone 9 - I prune my one hybrid tea rose and my one grandiflora back. I weed if I have time and a nice day. I replenish my mulch. I move my tender plants in and out depending on the weather (freezes or not). I do not usually cut back freeze damaged plants until mid march. I move some things that are dormant around if they don't like where they are or I don't like where they are.

• lpater
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I have just finished pruning 34 roses and my hands look like I've been shoving cats in bathtubs. Then I cleaned out two of my bed and pruned back perennials. I also top dressed the two beds with this stuff from Home Depot called "Robin Hood Soil Conditioner" (looks like compost and small chips of pine bark) and Black Kow manure. I then mulched with hay from the family farm (old round bale). Now I only have 3 beds to go. I should buy stock in a liniment company.
    Laurie

• tworedroseman
    20 years ago

Laurie: Isn't it about time to put out "vadelias" in Ga.?
    I put out several rows of spinach (small sq. gardening) and a new bed of lettuce last week. Will put out cabbage some time next week.

• lpater
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Redroseman,
    I know this is probably sacrilege to some, but I don't grow produce. Just flowers and other ornamental plants. Further north Georgia is known for its Vidalia onions. In fact, there's a Vidalia, Georgia. In Valdosta, here, we are a mere 17 miles from the Florida border and have a climate very like that in Tallahassee Florida. Some day I may venture into growing vegetables. It just seems that every square inch of bed space I cram full of flowers or interesting foliage plants. One of my concerns about growing veggies is dealing with our prodigious insect population. I'm worried that I'd have to do a lot of spraying.
    Laurie

• tworedroseman
    20 years ago

HAD roses!! Thought I would contribute to their well-being and sprayed pruning cuts with canned "tar" substance. Had die back to the grafts on over 100. Two reds survived."tworedrose..."

• pamcrews
    20 years ago

Work my soil, work my soil and then work my soil! Mushroom manure is a wonderful thing!

• lpater
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Tworedroseman:
    OMG! That is one of the worst gardening nightmares I've ever heard. You must have been sick! I can't even imagine. What do you grow now besides veggies, anything?

Pam:
    I think mushroom compost is wonderful too. But, I've heard that it can make soil alkaline. I don't know if that's true or not, but I stopped using it because I have hydrangeas that I want to remain blue, blue, blue. Have you heard anything about that?
    Laurie

• noodeler
    20 years ago

I planted peas the first week of the new year and have sprouts already climbing the strings. I also HAD an awesome patch of Collards going until yesterday. Turns out, on my way to feed the chickens in the morning, I didn't shut the door to the pen all the way. When I came home, they had eaten 95% of my collards. But they didn't touch the spinich. wierd. And they ate my Brussels Sprouts. I was P.O.ed! In short, Peas, Spinich, Brussels, Collards. I'll be plant'n 'Taters and a new patch of Brussels Sprouts this weekend.