Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpater_gw

Big Bed Little Bank Account

lpater
20 years ago

I have the most fabulous problem! A brand new bed about 60 feet long and 9 feet wide at its widest places. It has a curving organic shape. The soil will finished being amended tomorrow. Unfortunely, I have very little money to work with, so I was thinking...SEEDS! O.K., I have zero experience in starting seeds. I'd like to sow them directly into the bed. I'm in Valdosta, Georgia (17 miles from the Florida border)parts of the bed are in full sun. Some parts in part-shade. I will only be growing flowers or foliage plants. Don't care if they're perennials or annuals. I love blue, pink, white, purple, yellow. Any ideas, suggestions, words to the wise, hints, warnings? Thanks for any input. And yes, I have serious spring fever.

Laurie

Comments (6)

• noodeler
    20 years ago

You should get a container of that mixed flower seed at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in a big shaker type can. My neighbor used that stuff last year and it went bannanas. All kinds of color.

• lushoasis
    20 years ago

Some great reseeding annuals are cosmos, four o' clocks, and tithonia...plant California poppies in the fall. I fill my bed with perennials that multiply quickly. Cannas for sun and ginger lillies for part shade. Coreopsis, shasta daisies, and ruella multiply vegetatively. Instead of planting lots of new stuff every year, I end up weeding out the plants I don't want...enjoy...deb

• lpater
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I have 4 o'clock seeds that I've started. I'll directly sow or plant Cosmos, Cleome, some Canna bulbs, Lilly bulbs, Anemone coronaria, purple millet, envy green zinnias, english daisies, teddy bear dwarf sun flower, verbena bonariensis, heavenly blue morning glories, passion vine, convolvulus and other seeds. I am also starting purple wave petunia. First time I've ever tried starting seeds indoors at all. Very excited and a bit nervous.
    Laurie

• louisianagal
    20 years ago

i'm a bit late posting this but I would suggest some 'bones' of the garden, i.e. a small tree and a few shrubs (preferably flowering types). Having to redo that whole big garden each season would be alot of work.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    20 years ago

I was in exactly the same situation last year. Huge border - 100 ft long and about 16 ft at it's widest. No money. I started LOTS and LOTS of seed. Not direct sowing though. I have found the best method for me is to use some seed starting mix in a styrofoam cup. By the time it has outgrown the cup, it is probably ready for planting. I learned this the hard way after lots of repotting last summer. I sowed everything outdoors in the shade. I had alot of luck this way. Must be the humidity here is good for seed starting. Anyway, I am starting alot of seeds again this year the same way because the border is still not as full as I would like - I am going for a very lush and overflowing effect. But it is a long way toward being there - just waiting for lots of growth!
    Theresa

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

It is too late for English daisies - they do not like hot weather and do best in winter. Be careful with morning glories & Passion vine - both are very invasive + you need a stucture for them to climb.

Good luck! Growing from seeds is fun.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions