Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peabee4

Warning!! Serious Fungal Problem Alert

PeaBee4
20 years ago

You may aready be aware of the problems of this fungus from nurseries in California. One of them is a major supplier for our area.

Since this is the time that we are buying new things for our gardens, maybe we should be very careful to buy locally.

I understand that Florida has also stopped shipments from California.

PRESS RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 15, 2004

For information contact:

Arty Schronce or Jackie Sosby

(404) 656-3689

Serious threat to forests, city trees, gardens

Georgia Agriculture Dept. Quarantines

All Nursery Plants from California

ATLANTA Â The Georgia Department of Agriculture has issued a quarantine against all nursery plants from California due to a serious fungal disease found in at least one nursery that ships plants into Georgia and due to the possibility of the disease in other California nurseries that may ship into the state.

Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture Tommy Irvin issued the quarantine today following notification that the Sudden Oak Death fungus (Phytophthora ramorum) had been discovered on camellias at Monrovia Nursery, Azusa, California, a major supplier of many kinds of plants to garden centers across the country. The disease has also been discovered in Specialty Plants, Inc., San Marcos, California. Department of Agriculture personnel are working to determine if that nursery shipped any plants to Georgia.

"There are 11 other California nurseries where high risk samples have been taken," Commissioner Irvin said. "The California Department of Food and Agriculture has said they are 90 percent sure the samples are positive for the disease, but they will not quarantine the nurseries and have said they will not release the names of the nurseries until the samples are confirmed positive  probably sometime next week. We are closing the borders to all California nurseries today until they release the names of the 11 nurseries," said Commissioner Irvin.

"Sudden Oak Death is an extremely serious disease. It not only affects oaks but other plants as well including azaleas, rhododendrons, maples, beeches and buckeyes. This has the potential to be more devastating than Chestnut Blight, which wiped out virtually all stands of the native American chestnut in the 1930s. The cost to lumber companies, homeowners, gardeners, and cities would be overwhelming and the damage to wildlife and our landscape would be heartbreaking," said Irvin.

Comments (10)

• lpater
    20 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I was planning to go to the Tallahassee nursery tomorrow to buy some clematis. I will have to be sure that I am not buying anything from California. I cannot imagine losing our lovely and very old live oaks.
    Laurie

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

This is alarming to me too. I had just bought and planted a Monrovia camellia and two viburnums. I contacted the nursery who called Monrovia and determined the specific varieties I had purchased were not infected. It seems there are only certain growing areas that have the fungus and different plants are grown by different growers for Monrovia. My nursery is reputable and I trust them but I am still alittle leary.
    SC has also closed the borders to CA plants now.

• athagan
    20 years ago

Check the heads up I just posted in the Florida Gardening forum. The fungus has been positively identified in three Florida nurseries that received plants from Monrovia.

.....Alan.

• SprightlyGreen
    20 years ago

I would be wary of your camellia and two viburnums.

"Sudden Oak Death is not harmful to humans or animals, but is a serious fungal disease that affects not only oaks but also other plants including rhododendrons, camellias, azaleas and viburnums,"

This was taken from a press release from the Louisiana Department of Agriculture.

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

I emailed the state inspectors and asked how I can determine if I have the phytopthora and what could be done if I did. Got a fast response that they would look into it and let me know. So....., I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    The American Camellia Society has just sent out a letter to their members warning them to stay away from all CA material.

• SprightlyGreen
    20 years ago

This is from the Louisiana Dept of Agriculture and Forestry:

There are many Internet websites that have posted photos of SOD symptoms on various plant hosts. Your best bet is to type 'sudden oak death' into a search engine and you should be able to see symptoms. Below is a basic summary of symptoms for some of the hosts most likely to be purchased in Louisiana:

Azaleas: Look for shoot/twig and leaf blight. Affected shoots or twigs develop a brown to black discoloration that spreads along the twig and can spread into the leaves via leaf petioles. Symptoms include blackening of the petiole (leaf stalk), leaf base and leaf tip and may extend along the leaf mid-rib. Twig cankers can result in wilted shoots; in such cases leaves remain attached but may not develop any spots. Leaf infection can also occur without twig infection. Roots are unaffected.
    Symptoms are similar to those caused by other Phytophthora spp. on azaleas (and rhododendrons), but the development of symptoms can be more rapid.

Viburnum: Infection commonly occurs at the stem base causing wilting then death. You may also see brown to black leaf infections. Flowers may also be affected.

Pieris and Vaccinium: Look for brown stem lesions that lead to aerial dieback and leaf symptoms as described on azalea / rhododendron.

Camellia, Kalmia, Syringa (lilac) and Leucothoe: Usually only leaf infections are seen. Leaf lesions are usually brown to black areas,typically occurring at the tip or edges of the leaves. On camellia, some shoots have also been found to be infected, leading to dieback.

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Something just occured to me. Back in the spring of 2001 I planted several Viburnums, both 'Awabuki' and 'Chindo'. The following summer they developed brown spots on the leaves and appeared to be dying. I was told, here on GW that these Viburnums often do that until they are well established. So, I cut mine back and indeed they came out well again the next season although they still get a few spots once in a while. A nursery owner in FL told me last year her had to cut all his Awabuki's back because they had "some kind of spots on their leaves".
    Now I am wondering??????

• beaucoup_fleurs
    20 years ago

Wow! this is really creepy and I had not heard a word about it - thanks for the "heads up" on this mess - I would hate to lose any of our beautiful live oaks and all the other wonderful plants this infects! Thank you, thank you! Maggie

• lauriewood
    20 years ago

Thank you for posting! I was just about to pick up the phone and get my boss (who is on a business trip to Los Angeles) to pick me up some black bamboo there since it is so cheap.
    Now I will not.
    Thanks again!

• truegrey
    16 years ago

my inkberry shamrocks (and all hte others on my block) have gotten black leaves and dead twigs...i wonder if this could be SOD? i live in MA btw.

Sponsored
More Discussions