Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy bulbs around Houston/Baytown

Posted by jeepgirl19700 z9 Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 6:36

Over here in Baytown the only place I find to buy bulbs is Walmart and Lowes. Perhaps HOme Depot has some. The problem is, they are packaged up from God Knows Where and look so dry and crunchy. I've planted some crocuses last weekend and nothing has come up. I ordered various bulbs off Ebay, but after 2 wks nothing is poking up...where can one buy fresh, healthy bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy bulbs around Houston/Baytown

• Posted by sprout z8b/9 Houston (My Page) on
    Fri, May 26, 06 at 10:53

Crocus bulbs are planted in the fall. If you purchase them in the fall from WalMart, they are just as good as from any source.

A good general rule to remember: Spring flowering bulbs are planted in the Fall (tulips, crocuc, daffodils, hyacinth); Summer flowering bulbs are planted in the Spring (gladiolus, canna, dahlia, etc)

The Houston Garden club sponsors a Bulb Mart every fall. Really good place to buy bulbs and get some good gardening advice. If you want to do mail order, I recommend Brent and Beckys Bulbs (www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulb Mart

o
RE: Where to buy bulbs around Houston/Baytown

I would suggest buying them from Southernbulbs.com They ONLY sell bulbs they will grow in our area and return and multiply. You waste your money with bulbs meant for northern climates. These are bulbs for southern climates. All their bulbs are heirlooms and are beautiful. I love the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: southern bulb company

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here