Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crepe myrtle fertiliser

Posted by savannarose z9 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 04 at 14:37

Can you please recommend a good, preferably organic, fertiliser? Thanks! I've used Espoma products but wonder if there's anything specific for crepe myrtles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crepe myrtle fertiliser

I like a granular fertilizer, that is easy to spread, when it comes to amending the soil around my ornamentals. Crepe Myrtles don't need much, in my opinion, but I'll toss them some general purpose flower & veggie fert. if I'm out spreading it.

This season I've been using Fox Farm's "Marine Cuisine" and some various types of guano depending on what I'm fertilizing. This way I have a well balanced base to which I can add extra N, P, or K in the form of bat or sea bird guano. I think it's best to get some fertilizer that you can use on more than one plant and the Crepes are not that demanding or fickle. They can have a splash of whatever you are using on your veggies or they'd be happy with just a thick top-dressing of fresh organic compost and a restored mulch layer. As with many plants grown primarily for their flowers, too much Nitrogen can be a detriment so don't fertilize too heavily and at all costs avoid the "lawn" type fertilizers which are full of bioavailable nitrates that will just serve to make your Myrtle a big bushy bloomless monster (- nitrates which will also rapidly leech into the nearest creek or river as a major pollutant).

If you really want to baby something, I like the OMRI-listed Earth Juice line of products. They have seperate formulations for "Grow" (high N) and "Bloom" (high P & K, no N), as well as a micronutrient solution and one that's purely for boosting the Potassium levels (called Meta-K). This can get quite expensive when used for large applications and I mostly use it to keep container plants as happy as possible, but if all you are growing is Crepe Myrtles and you want to go all out "organically" then get a soil test and spoil your babies with a precisely formulated Earth Juice regimen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here