Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ocean Front near NC/SC border ... help !!

Posted by angela12345 7b NC Mixed-Humid (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 19:35

We just built a new house that is oceanfront near the NC - SC border. I need some serious help on suggestions for plants that will survive the relentless sea salt water spray at the coast.

I am very interested in edible landscaping and checked out the edible landscaping forum, but searches yielded little results. Edible is not a must have criteria, however. Just would be a bonus. Also, if you have links or can post pictures in addition to the plant names, that would be awesome !! I am not at all knowledgeable about coastal plants ... we have never had a home in this area before (and really not knowledgeable about plants in general, although I did accidentally plant my first ever garden not long ago).

Almost everything we have planted so far has died. : (

I am on iPad now but will try to come back and post a pic of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ocean Front near NC/SC border ... help !!

A good bet would be to look for ornamental native plants that naturally grow near the coast. There are actually a lot of species in the southeast that are quite attractive and would fit the bill. Mail Order Natives has a number of salt-tolerant plants you might be interested in:
http://www.mailordernatives.com/servlet/Categories?category=Coastal+Salt+Tolerant+Plants

If you Google "coastal salt tolerant native plants", there are a number of resources that come up, like this: http://www.coastscapes.org/Library/CoastScapesSaltTolerantPlantList No References.pdf

and this: http://www.scnps.org/PDFs/lowcountry/CoastalNativePlantList.pdf

Thankfully, finding these species has become a lot easier with the advent of internet shopping. In addition, native plants are becoming more popular and easier to find in local nurseries, too. You can also try to find your local native plant society. They may have some good resources that are tailor made for your area.

o

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 23:53

I've found that not much of anything edible can grow on the oceanfront without protection from salt spray. Oleander, crepe myrtle & Pittisporum are tough & reliable shrubs that will grow despite salt spray. They prefer to be clumped (for weather protection) rather than spaced out. As for color, I prefer white oleander & white crepe myrtles -- they look cool during our long, hot summers. It would be well worth your time to take a trip to Pender Pines Garden Center in Hampstead; they are a great source of both plants for our coastal area & information.

Welcome to the Cape Fear area, you'll love it!

Allie

o

Actually, I was researching a similar problem recently.

I'm a bit farther North then you, but I think northern plants survive better in the south then vice versa.

Very Salt Tolerant and Edible:
Beach Plum (very salt tolerant and makes sporadic crops of plums)
Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) (edible berries)
Virginia Rose. (Very tough, and rose hips are edible)
Beach Pea (some species, for some values of the word "edible")

Somewhat Salt Tolerant and Edible
Black Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa)(weedy shrub with edible berries)
red chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia)
Large Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon)
Vaccinium angustifolium � common lowbush blueberry
highbush blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum)

Most of these are from my research. I do have experience that Rugosa Rose can thrive in areas that get salt spray, but that is invasive.

While not edible (to humans) I hear Bayberry thrives on salt, and have seen it in spots I know get salt spray. I hear your local variety is Morella caroloniensis.

This link has some ideas...but check to make sure these plants can survive that far south.

http://www.mass.gov/czm/coastal_landscaping/plants.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here