Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for palms in Hilton Head/Savannah area?

Posted by kimburrkay 8 SC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 19:36

Anyone have a good source for palms and a good nursery in the Hilton Head or Savannah area? This will be my first gardening season in the South. I'm a transplant from Michigan, so it will quite different.

My husband and I have a new house that is begging for gardens and landscaping. We would love some palms- preferrably a shorter growing palms- for the yard. As of now we are struggling for sources. Anyone care to share their hidden secrets? There just has to be something better than Home Depot!

Thanks-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for palms in Hilton Head/Savannah area?

Just what shorter palms were you thinking of? Where have you seen them?

o

Suggest you call for directions to visit Palms on the Parkway on St. Helena Island in Beaufort...803-522-9979 This nursery has recently moved and expanded, carrying quality stock and an excellent assortment of palms. They do deliver to Hilton Head and surrounding areas.

o

Another source would be Palms Unlimited in Ridgeland.

o

There is a Palm nursery on the road that goes to the Bamboo Farms west of Savannah. Not sure of the name of the nursery...or the road, but it is on the same road as the farms (nad close to it if I remember correctly) and has various sizes of Sabals, Butia, Chamearops, Phoenix, etc...

o

A really good place to go in the Savannah/Hilton Head area for palms (or any plant) is Hunter's Nursery near the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport. The phone number is 912-964-2548. They've been in business for well over 40 years, and I can personally vouch for the knowledgeable staff there. It's a wonderful place for plants & shrubs, even just going to browse is like stepping into another world. You'll be amazed at the things they have, and they have special price lists printed each and every month for sales, etc... Call and talk to either Shirley or Robert...

o

We love Secret Gardens in Savannah. They have a new location on Ogeeche Road. Call for directions. The trip will be worth the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here