Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpater_gw

Hippeastrum/Amaryllis

lpater
20 years ago

I am planting some Amaryllis bulbs and I'm in a quandry regarding how to plant them. Brent and Becky's bulbs says to plant them 8 to 10 inches deep, but my neighbor who has been gardening in this area for years says to plant them so the necks are just poking above ground. Does anybody have any info? Thanks.

Laurie

Comments (9)

• mrskjun
    20 years ago

I'm not sure what the "rule" is supposed to be, but I planted several last year exactly as your neighbor does. They are all up and looking really good this year.

Betty

• roblkey
    20 years ago

The directions with mine, said to plant them with the neck poking above ground. Have been in the ground 8 years & look great.
    Robin

• Paul_zone10
    20 years ago

Neither the true amaryllis (belladonna) or the hippeastrum commonly called an "amaryllis" would do well if planted that deep. Some times you might get instructions to dig a deeper hole than is really needed and then put half the soil back for encouraging rapid root growth. Perhaps that was what they were trying to reccomend?? But don't plant them below the surface - I side with your neighbor for either plant, leave at least the the neck and another inch as well above the top of the soil.

• lpater
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have planted my Amaryllis bulbs with necks above the soil and I am awaiting their display. Aren't we lucky that we can plant Amaryllis that will overwinter for us?
    Laurie

• iamannieo
    19 years ago

I have a Hippeastrum(just learned it's real name) is not Amaryllis,in a pot in my house. It has been growing sense last holiday season and has bloomed 2 or three times. Right now it does not look too well. Long leaves ,but yellowing and not healthy. I know it needs to be repotted. I would like to put it in the ground. I have done this with two others in the last few years with no results. After reading your messages I think I probably planted them too deep. I know this is not the ideal time to plant here in southern California during August. But can I do it? or so I need to wait till fall?

• harleydeby
    19 years ago

I also have Amaryllis, too many to count as a matter of fact. I have never heard of planting them that deeply either. Even when transplanting, they only need to be just poking above the soil. Here in Florida, they grow like weeds for me with little or no care. Just an occasional feeding and pest control is all I give them and I have blooms every year

• tsunami2
    18 years ago

Naturally Hippeastrum are not evergreen they do go into a state of dormancy after the summers. When the leaves die back just cut them off, the bulbs can be lifted and then replanted outside into the ground in the last weeks of winter. Plant them in a position of either full sun/ half a day of full sun or a whole day of shade-dappled sunlight. Do not plant them in shade. Hippeastrum do fine without fertiliser although it doesn't hurt to feed them.
    The flower stalks grow to different lengths depending how much sun they get i noticed my have short flower stalks in full sun all day and longer taller stalks in dappled shade.
    And oh yes everyone is right about planting the bulbs so you can just see the neck.

• Wildcat_IN_Z5
    18 years ago

Hello,

I just thought I would mention that there is now a new 'Amaryllis/Hippeastrum' forum here at GW.

Please stop by and post a picture, ask a question, or just say "Hi!".

Wildcat

• hotdiggetydam
    18 years ago

necks out or rot occurs quickly

Sponsored
More Discussions