Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern Peach

Posted by vernvan 8b SE Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 05 at 0:09

Where can I purchase a low chill peach? I purchased a Red Haven and although it made it through the winter, it isn't looking to good. I didn't realize that it's chill requirements were not compatible with this part of Georgia. I saw that TyTy has Sawanee, but they have a minimum order of $50. I couldn't find any of the La or Tex cultivars for sale to individuals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern Peach

I bought my Florida King peach tree from Walmart superstore about 2 years ago,andthis is the first year that im getting fruit that seem to be holding on. The fruit are about 1/2" long. I believe the Florida King has a low chill requirement.

o

Bay Laurel Nursery in California, Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida, and Johnson Nursery in Georgia are all good sources for low-chill fruit trees. I got the best (biggest, stoutest, most varieties) by far, from Bay Laurel.

It is too late in the year to order bare root fruit trees. You could pick what you want for next year, place the order, and dream about how nice they will be. My bare root trees purchased this winter have fruited! You can pick the rootsock you want at Bay Laurel too, a big plus! My 3' tall Ein Shemer Apple tree on M111 has 25 apples on it, all of good size. It is a potted tree on my patio(G).

Buying good trees makes a HUGE difference in the time it takes to get fruit!

Lisa

o

I planted Florda King, LaPeche, and L Festival last year (Bracy's potted plants). The Florda King is the earliest fruiting and has the largest fruit (at least so far). The fruit are very large and beautiful. I picked the four ripest yesterday before the storm, leaving about 6 on the two Florda King trees. I will try one tonight to check for flavor.

o

I did find Flordaking at a local nursery here, but decided against it. Better desert quality seems to go with late ripening (more time for sugar production I guess) and it is a clingstone. At this point, my favorite peach is Redhaven, but it requires 900 chilling hours.

The other issue is that Bracy's will only ship 5 of the same variety (they ship wholesale). I think that I found a couple places to purchase from, but will have to wait until the fall to order.

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/
http://www.sanhedrinnursery.com/
http://www.johnsonnursery.com/
http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/

I would also be interested to see if anyone has experience with any of these nurseries.

o

I picked a Florda King fully tree ripened Saturday and ate it in the orchard. I must say I was disappointed in the flavor. No better than a grocery store peach that was picked under ripe and allowed to soften. It did rain a couple of days before I picked the fruit, so that may have affected flavor. They are planted in well drained, though heavy, soil.

o

• Posted by jimlang 7/8 S. Carolina (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 12:12

I have purchased from Stark Brothers while living in three states -- North Carolina, Ohio and South Carolina -- I have always been pleased with quality and thought price was fair. Good information in catalog as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here